UPDATED: "The old thread about the noob run at Hog Hollow"

sixstringsteve

I know i'm late to the party here steve but, why not do snakes as the Noob annual trail? It was the first trail my dad did in his 31 inch tire stock FJ62 and he had no problem. I think fire roads are great for week long back country trips but why not do more of a trail trail? I might be able to go either way but something to think about

because I don't want to :p

a lot of the noobs don't have sliders or bumpers or lifts or anything like that. So rather than make them feel excluded by telling them they can't come (or should expect body damage) I'm inviting them on a trail that they can all do. I promise it'll be fun to anyone who has never really been wheeling. I still love wheeling up there. Some of the noobs have stock fullsize broncos, some have stock jeeps, some have lifted rigs with lockers front and rear on 33's. this is a trail everyone can complete, and I'm sure they'll all still have fun. Plus, even if nobody's got any experience wheeling, this will be a good learning experience. I know for a fact that taking some stock rigs, with noob drivers, on rattlesnake for their first run will scare them, and can do more harm than good.

I scheduled it here for 6 reasons
1) ANY rig can complete the trail without body damage
2) it's close to civilization
3) if anyone does have mechanical or other failures, you can get a tow rig in there to get it out
4) it's going to be at night, so I wanted something mild that didn't require rock lights
5) it's a fun experience. I always take noobs out there first before snakes, and it's a great place to teach them and go over the basics and gain confidence before doing a trail trail.
6) did I mention it's a fun trail?

I'll schedule one at 5 mile in may (2 months later) for 3 reasons.

1) I will have a better idea of the rigs these new members have
2) I'll have a better idea of these noobies' abilities
2) it'll give the noobs 2 months to buy sliders before attempting rattlesnake.

whenever I post up a trip report, I put recommendations for equipment and someone always says "but I've done it with less of a lift, or a smaller tire size, or without a locker." These are recommendations. I remember the first time I did fins n things. I went with my friends, and they assured me my vehicle was capable enough to to it since they had taken more stockish vehicles. Well, I had lifted my rig, and hadn't re-geared it, so I wasn't geared low enough. I almost rolled on Ken's Climb, and I honestly wished that I hadn't done the trail because my rig wasn't ready. There's nothing worse than getting on a trail and realizing you're in over your head. I don't want to tell the noobs that they can do snakes stock because I know someone who has. I also know people who have busted a LOT of stock stuff on rattlesnake. Remember back to when you were a noob. We all cared about avoiding body damage at all costs. now we've loosened up a bit, but I'd hate to put a novice in that situation. Besides, they'll have PLENTY of time to do snakes in the future. I just want to start them out slow and easy and work up from there.

Even though these are just fire roads, I've taken lots of noobs up there before, and they've always had a blast, and I've never seen body damage or any other damage to a stock vehicle. I've still had fun up there in my yota on 37's. Sometimes it's all about getting out there instead of tackling huge obstacles. Don't get me wrong, I love fun trails that require more skill than a dirt road, but that's not what this trip is about.

Last edited:

sLcREX

Formerly Maldito X
I agree, im in this to meet and go on a group run. Its always more fun with friends than by yourself....mostly lol.

Manlaan

whenever I post up a trip report, I put recommendations for equipment and someone always says "but I've done it with less of a lift, or a smaller tire size, or without a locker." These are recommendations. I remember the first time I did fins n things. I went with my friends, and they assured me my vehicle was capable enough to to it since they had taken more stockish vehicles. Well, I had lifted my rig, and hadn't re-geared it, so I wasn't geared low enough. I almost rolled on Ken's Climb, and I honestly wished that I hadn't done the trail because my rig wasn't ready. There's nothing worse than getting on a trail and realizing you're in over your head. I don't want to tell the noobs that they can do snakes stock because I know someone who has. I also know people who have busted a LOT of stock stuff on rattlesnake. Remember back to when you were a noob. We all cared about avoiding body damage at all costs. now we've loosened up a bit, but I'd hate to put a novice in that situation. Besides, they'll have PLENTY of time to do snakes in the future. I just want to start them out slow and easy and work up from there.

Even though I've never done anything with this group, I have to admit that with an attitude like this, I am very impressed with the decision and leading ability. I take this exact same attitude when taking someone shooting that has never been before, and even though it is starting out very easy, its far better to ease people into it then just dumping them in the middle of something they cant/shouldn't handle. If someone is just starting out, just as with shooting, the fastest way to turn someone off of this hobby is to put them in a situation they cant handle.

I was planning on not coming to this in fear of it being too boring (and I hate mud), I think I've changed my mind to just come and hang out. I'll have to move a few things around for work I think, but I dont think it'll be an issue.

Cherokeester

I remember the first time I did fins n things. I went with my friends, and they assured me my vehicle was capable enough to to it since they had taken more stockish vehicles. Well, I had lifted my rig, and hadn't re-geared it, so I wasn't geared low enough. I almost rolled on Ken's Climb, and I honestly wished that I hadn't done the trail because my rig wasn't ready.
Awe Steve come on! Look where you are now because of that run!!:D

sixstringsteve

I remember the first time I did fins n things. I went with my friends, and they assured me my vehicle was capable enough to to it since they had taken more stockish vehicles. Well, I had lifted my rig, and hadn't re-geared it, so I wasn't geared low enough. I almost rolled on Ken's Climb, and I honestly wished that I hadn't done the trail because my rig wasn't ready.
Awe Steve come on! Look where you are now because of that run!!:D

Haha, I was afraid you'd read that. I'm not mad at all Mark, I definitely got bit by the bug from that run. If I had rolled I don't think that would have been the case :rofl:

sixstringsteve

Even though I've never done anything with this group, I have to admit that with an attitude like this, I am very impressed with the decision and leading ability. I take this exact same attitude when taking someone shooting that has never been before, and even though it is starting out very easy, its far better to ease people into it then just dumping them in the middle of something they cant/shouldn't handle. If someone is just starting out, just as with shooting, the fastest way to turn someone off of this hobby is to put them in a situation they cant handle.

I was planning on not coming to this in fear of it being too boring (and I hate mud), I think I've changed my mind to just come and hang out. I'll have to move a few things around for work I think, but I dont think it'll be an issue.

thanks manlaan, I sure hope you can make it. It's going to be a good way to ease the new guys into it. I have fun exploring anyway.

D-Rat

I wish I could make this run but I have a Moab run the following week. I just felt like posting up and saying how cool I think it is that you guys are doing a run to help introduce new people to the sport, I think thats super admirable. We offroaders tend to always post up the pics of the crazy stuff and some times I think that scares off the new guys. Props to you guys for sticking to the core of what its all about, wheeling with good friends, meeting new ones, and most importantly, having fun. I've met one or two of you and look forward to meeting and wheeling with more of you guys this upcoming summer. Look for me on that proposed newbie Snakes run. See you on the trails.

TurboMinivan

Still plays with cars
I haven't checked in on this forum in almost forever, so I know I am unknown here and thus I'd get lumped together with the newbies. Why not change things by going on this trail run with ya?

Let's all bring garbage bags and clean the trail up a bit. It's a fun little trail, and I want to make sure it stays open.

Not to sound like a know-it-all, but are you certain about that? Way back in the day, I used to occasionally wheel with some friends in the Hogs Hollow area (you know, back before I realized I hate mud). Nowadays most people say we aren't allowed anywhere up there. Have I been misinformed?

Example: another poster mentioned a right-hand turn where you jump the sidewalk and are immediately on the dirt. This sounds just like the spot where Pfeifferhorn Drive turns to the right and becomes Hog Hollow Road:

pfeiffer.jpg

Only last year, I spoke to someone who lives right on that corner. He told me the cops have instructed them to call immediately whenever they see a vehicle jump that sidewalk and/or drive on any of those dirt trails by his home.

So where will we be going, exactly?

sixstringsteve

I know exactly where you're talking about. that's not where we will be going, although that does connect to the trail. if that trail is illegal, you may want to yank that photo so you don't give guys ideas of where to go (assuming it's illegal) :)

If that road is illegal, I wonder how locals are supposed to know. There are ZERO signs. But that's not where we're going anyway.

I do know of another entrance about 100 yards to the east of that intersection, and it has been blocked off with rocks, so it's obvious they don't want people going up that way.

I'll shoot you a PM with where we're going, I don't really want to advertise it. I've been wheeling up there 50 times in the past 3 years, and the only place I've ever seen signs saying it's off limits is up at the top near corner canyon, on the draper side. Now, just because i haven't been caught in the past 50 times doesn't make it legal, but I haven't seen one sign. I'll double-check with the local PD tomorrow (unless there's a better way to check if a trail is closed or not).

Last edited: