UPDATED: "The old thread about the noob run at Hog Hollow"

sixstringsteve

I just called the lone peak PD, and they'll get back to me to make sure it's legal. If it's not, then I have a back-up plan in Alpine where I KNOW it's legal.

sixstringsteve

i just got off the phone with a deputy in the Lone Peak PD, and he said to the best of his knowledge, the only roads that are closed are those at the top. I still have to call Alpine PD and Draper PD, but I'll find out more this afternoon.

TurboMinivan

Still plays with cars
I know exactly where you're talking about. that's not where we will be going, although that does connect to the trail.

Good.

if that trail is illegal, you may want to yank that photo so you don't give guys ideas of where to go (assuming it's illegal)

Actually, I may leave it there as an example of where we should not go. What I didn't mention in my last post is that after hearing the neighbor guy tell me what he did, I went to the Alpine PD to inquire personally. They confirmed his story and told me crossing that sidewalk in a motorized vehicle was illegal. (I just wanted to use the dirt hill next to the sidewalk for a work project--meaning I wouldn't go more than 50 feet beyond the sidewalk--but was flatly denied.)

I'll shoot you a PM with where we're going, I don't really want to advertise it.

I don't blame you for using PM. I'll watch for it.

Not only do I plan to bring myself, but I'll invite a customer of mine--I just sold him a stone stock '98 Wrangler Sport and he wants to dip his toe in the 4x4 waters, so to speak. This would be a great introduction for him and a good chance to meet some other local Jeepers as well. Thanks for organizing this trip.

sixstringsteve

Thank YOU for checking to make sure its legal. I wonder if we could turn it into a little work project too where we could post signs where it is illegal. That'd really emphasize the importance we put on only wheeling in legal areas. Interestingly enough, the.deputy I talked to from lone peak pd said he thought it was legal, but to double-check with alpine pd. SOunds like you already have.

I'll post more as I get more info.

TurboMinivan

Still plays with cars
Interestingly enough, the deputy I talked to from lone peak pd said he thought it was legal, but to double-check with alpine pd. SOunds like you already have.

I was only asking to use that little hill right next to the sidewalk in the photo I posted (I wanted to film a demonstration of AWD transferring torque front to rear on a few vehicles). I didn't inquire about heading over the hill and into Draper.

BTW: I like your idea of volunteering to help post signs designating illegal areas. I'm all for anything that casts our hobby in a good light rather than a bad one.

sixstringsteve

Well, the Alpine Police can't give me an answer, they told me to call the highland, alpine, and draper city offices (closed today and tomorrow). Sounds like nobody really knows.

I wish there were a database or a website that would outline which trails are still legal for motorized use.

I'll go drive by again today and look for signs.

When I told the deputy in Alpine that we'd be willing to do a trail cleanup or post signs, he didn't really seem to care or have any resources for me to do that. Who do I need to get in contact with to do these things? It's not the BLM or forrest service, they're city and country roads.

Last edited:

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
Much of that land is private property, what isn't is city owned (Draper Preservation Park for example) and anything up higher is Forest Service. Anything on Draper's side is categorically closed to motorized use and none of the routes are open per the Forest Service. The private land would technically require yeah or nae from the owner and given the amount of private land up there I suspect that is where much of the confusion exists? I sat in on some Draper City planning meeting a few years back, sadly they had zero interest in accommodating motorized use in their Corner Canyon master planning, hopefully Alpine is different. I might add that my grandfather was long time property owner in the CC area, that was always my silver bullet when spending countless days and nights up there in my teens. ;)

My great grandmother used to stay at a cabin right at the Draper entrance to CC, my mom gave me a neat pic of her and some friends standing in front of the cabin circa ~1910.

Last edited:

sixstringsteve

I was hoping you'd chime in Kurt.

I know for sure that the draper area at the top of suncrest is DEFINITELY off-limits. I've seen the signs there myself, there are tons of signs. I have been up the alpine side many many times, and nobody seemed to care...

If the lone peak police and the alpine police don't seem to care, I don't know who would care, or how I would verify if it is or is not off-limits. I have never ever seen a single sign indicating that motor vehicles are off-limits.

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
Maps:

Draper
http://www.draper.ut.us/vertical/Si...ds/{6211DCA4-C55D-4D12-AA19-ED8547DEE845}.PDF

http://www.draper.ut.us/vertical/Si...ds/{E5DC55FF-E7E9-44BA-866F-D7DBADABD895}.PDF

(note: No motorized vehicles permitted on trails, Street legal vehicles may use upper and lower Corner Canyon roads)

Forest Service (Wasatch Cache in SL County)
http://www.fs.fed.us/r4/uwc/maps/wcnf/final_salt_lake.pdf

(note that only 981 & 981-A are open to vehicles, both of those routes are actually part of the Upper Corner Canyon Road which is the route that serves as trailhead access to all the other routes.)

Forest Service (Uinta NF in Utah County)
http://www.fs.fed.us/r4/uwc/maps/uinta/mvum_book_uinta.pdf

(Note they don't show any routes open to motorized use in 1A or 2A which covers that area)

I don't have any map info on the non-Forest Utah County side but I know that the Ut County proper doesn't claim any of the CC/Hog Hollow routes are a ROW so it would either be the city owned or private land that is open.

YOUKNOW

Are you taking the names of the officers that you have been talking to at Alpine PD? Just in case to cover our backs. If we do have any issues, we can tell them who you have been speaking with about this.

pELYgroso

'Merica
Are you taking the names of the officers that you have been talking to at Alpine PD? Just in case to cover our backs. If we do have any issues, we can tell them who you have been speaking with about this.

Good call. I know of one officer in particular in Alpine that is extremely anal about any possible infractions, and will impound vehicles in the blink of an eye for absolutely minimal things. If he shows up and thinks that we're somewhere that we're not supposed to be, all of our rigs will get impounded, guaranteed! Get the names of the officers you're talking to just in case he shows up....you don't want to deal with this guy!

sixstringsteve

Nope, sorry. I don't have any names.

Bonker

Another access point might be the subdivision just west of the hog hollow area, its in Highland, just continue north on N Angel Gate/N Light House Dr off of Beacon Hill Blvd

sixstringsteve

yeah, that's the access point I was going to use. You can see it in the google map I linked. I'm just trying to make sure it's all legal before taking 10+ rigs out there; especially when the point of this trip is to educate newcomers on how to wheel in legal areas...

Last edited: