Upgrade from a dodge to a ford?

Kirk

I've got a 2003 dodge diesel auto with 155K. Its been a good truck and I still like it. Its got a newer lift pump, ball joints, and tranny. Nothing is wrong with it, and its clean. Its 4 door SB with Leather.

My brother has a 2005 Ford 6.0 diesel auto 4 door shortbed with 77K. His is a King Ranch and is flawless. Never really had any problems - He hasn't modified anything - never towed more than 8-9K. He babies it. He asked if I wanted it. His seems to pull a little harder, and gets better mileage (I still can't figure that one out)

Both are 3/4 tons - same color. The bigger back seat, better interior, and the lower miles are the positives on his. Mine has already has a lift pump/tranny upgraded. I have read lots of bad comments about the 6 litre fords...

Should I even consider it? I assume it would cost me 5-7K to change?

I'm looking what will cost me the less to drive over the next 75K miles/resell........ (mostly pulling)

Leaning towards just keeping mine (for a long time)

Thanks

TJDukit

I.Y.A.A.Y.A.S.
We run a lot of the 6.0l's at work and I absolutely hate them. My main complaint is how long it takes for the turbo to spool and actually start doing something. They also spend way more time at motorpool than the older 7.3L equipped Fords. Also of all the google searching I've done I just can't come up with enough good things to say about the 6.0L to convince me that it's worth anything.

LT.

The dodge will be more reliable. No questions about it and the ford lovers can't argue it either. I am a Dodge fan so, take that with a grain of salt. The Ford is getting better mileage? I have a friend who also has a 3/4 ton, 6.0 stroker and claims 20-24 mpg. I have always wondered if he has hand figured it or just going off the trip computer. Dodge was famous for their trip computers being very generous. Seeing numbers as high as 30 mpg was not unheard of. After some number crunching actual mpg was closer to 20.

If it was me I would keep the Dodge. While the interior space is less and the interior fit and finish is not as good the Dodge will run circles around any 6.0 stroker. Not that the 6.0 can't be made into a reliable truck. It will take some time and money. Mainly, deleting the EGR and the cooler, head gaskets, head studs, re mount the oil cooler, will be a good start. The transmissions are not bullet proof either so look forward to a rebuild sooner or later. Then there is the typical tunner, intake, and exhaust. Being in Utah that is usually preceeded by a suspension lift, wheels, and tires. Figure on about $5,000-10,000 to make the 6.0 reliable. And more if you want more power and style.

LT.

littlyota

If you decide to part ways with that '03 Dodge, I might me interested

Stay away. Far, far away.

You could not give me a 6.0. I have several friends with them. One just bought a 2012 dodge to get away from the nightmares.

In the defense of the 6.0 everyone I know with one has something done to it either a lift, big tires, chip or some other list of goodies.