Uroc Gone??????????????????

baerpaws

I heard the news, is it true?
Did Ranch finally bite the farm?
I guess he pissed off enough people?
Come awn guys, spill the beans. I heard from previous sponsers

RockMonkey

Suddenly Enthusiastic
Basically UROC rockcrawling is gone. They are still planning on holding "Rockcross". Here's what came across my inbox today:

As many of you know UROC introduced a new form of rock motorsport at the Off Road Expo in Pomona known as Rockcross ™. The sport is a form of racing that is unique in that it pits teams against each other in head to head competition. The reviews and excitement from the introduction have been somewhat staggering and all of the UROC sponsors save for two have chosen to put their efforts and energy into Rockcross™ instead of the rockcrawling efforts of the past.

We have just received word that a few key rockcrawling sponsors have recently made strategic changes in their marketing plans for 2007. The results of these changes have had a dramatic affect on their ability to support off road. This includes, among other things, rockcrawling, and while we are disappointed to hear this news, we certainly understand and express appreciation to them for their efforts in rockcrawling and helping it become a true motorsport over the past seven years.

These changes clearly have a profound affect on UROC and force us to make some logical choices. Choices that we know will have an overall positive affect on teams around the country. We have weighed in with sponsors and taken a close look at the sport. We have reviewed where the sport has come from, where it is going, the relationship to industry as well as the identification with and relationship to the recreational sport that it derives from. After weighing all aspects, we have chosen to cancel the 2007 UROC Pro National effective immediately. We apologize for the inconvenience this may cause teams preparing for the season and recognize the proximity of this announcement to the first event.

At UROC, we feel that UROC RockCross™ has a very bright future and addresses many of the concerns that rockcrawling has inherent to its natural format. It has the great aspects of rockcrawling but is not encumbered by the difficulty of understanding. It has short moto's that are exciting and action packed. It has a unique format in that teams are head to head and side by side. Everyone understands a green flag and a checkered flag and fans can get instant gratification with seeing a great battle and ultimately a winner of that battle. They don’t have to wait for scores or compare times. It is full on motor sports competition the way it was meant to be, multiple competitors on the same course with only one finish line. And while we are saddened by the changes with rockcrawling, we are excited about the future of RockCross™ and the many upcoming announcements regarding Rockcross™ and the synergy that it is building.

Should you have questions or concerns feel free to contact me via email at ranch@uroc.com, or by phone at 801-815-0088.

Tacoma

Et incurventur ante non
Crawling is dead!

I'm selling everything and building a diesel Baja truck. Screw you guys!

:D hehehe
I find it interesting to note once again how manufactured this sport is, and I am by NO MEANS complaining about it. I like it. Sponsors want something else, or dont' want to support a sport, POOF! it's gone. Rockracing is exciting though, I can dig it. Let's go! If the tech ramps up like crawling did, this could be good!

I'm sorry that it will negatively affect (affect is a verb, effect is a noun, just a note for the original author of that email) so many people.

But...

From my own personal perspective. Thank goodness.

RockMonkey

Suddenly Enthusiastic
Um, this doesn't mean competitive rockcrawling is gone... There are several other major rockcrawling circuits. UROC just wasn't doing a good enough job to keep sponsors and competitors. I wonder how hard it will be to access the RMR course now? :confused:

cuban b

You're all WEAK SAUCE!
UROC died when they started playing early 90's club music and jock jams and employing ex-wwf wrestlers to do the announcing (nothing personal). I love competitive rockcrawling but how many times can you say..

Who rocks? UROC

It got old, fast. Hopefully the changes will bring good things. I miss the early days of uroc.

Craig S

Commando
I want to thank UROC for the good times and not dwell on any negative issues. UROC was the first to bring rock crawling to the for front of motor sports with many firsts. I appreciate UROC's contribution to a sport that I love and that my families life has revolved around for many years. I want to see competitive rock crawling competitions continue. Dallas, Mikey and I would rather be in Phoenix on May 12th supporting our sponsors and doing impossible obstacles than anything else.

UROC has been an education for me as I have learned a lot from UROC's past success. Our team is disappointed with this news and wish UROC success in whatever they choose to do.

Last edited:

MRJ

Just a user
Wow, it bothers me to see this. I can't believe how they dropped the bomb on teams. There are a bunch of people who spent a ton of money, and way more time to get things ready to compete this year. It would be hard for me to swallow if I were one of those teams.

Also as a sponsor of a few teams it doesn't help me out in any way that they have limited the appearances of these teams.

I do think UROC has seen what every other living being has seen, XRRA is way more fun to watch. Mike Weaver has started the next huge change in this sport.

I can't wait to see both of the future "rock racing" series continue to grow.

With this does it mean that UROC will add more "Rockcross" events then they have scheduled right now?

Bart

I was floored when I got the email yesterday, but understand the concepts. They (UROC) are putting all their efforts into Rockcross so it wouldn't surprise me to see more events. I think this is a transition year for Rock Sports and it will be interesting to see where the fallout lands. I personally still see the draw for rock crawling events, and I think the side by side rock race stuff is exciting. We'll see....

JoeT

Wow.:eek: It's a bummer to see UROC do this, met alot of nice people there. Curious, how many other rockcrawling competion organizations are left?

Screw just 2 rigs going side by side, let's go for 20 rigs at once on a course motorcross/NASCAR style!!

Milner

formerly "rckcrlr"
too bad. missed it last year.
just not good return on the investment.

I think that is the biggest problem for the promoters and competitors. Except for a handfull of the top teams, $$ out are a lot more then $$ back....

I can't say I am surprised at the news....It is no great secret that UROC has issues....

I fear Rockcross will become even more of a demonstration/Monster truck like event with a handfull of teams beeing paid to show up and run "spectator" events....

Oh well, atleast we have WEROCK and XRRA to watch.