UROC rules

creighton

They want me to do what!?
As a competitor and what I consider a promoter of the sport, in the interest of spectator joy and safety I would like to propose two rule changes in UROC events.

First: the use of spotter to driver radios should no longer be allowed on the basis that spectators want to hear the action.
Spectators can get into it more if they can hear the drivers and spotters yell back and forth to each other. Look at Nascar, the fans all bring radios to listen in to radio conversations from spotters to driver to crew chief. In UROC we are not traveling at 200MPH and radios are not needed to communicate. I know I enjoy hearing the teams communicate. ( yelling ). The fans are the ones that will keep this going, we need to think of their enjoyment. This will also keep the possibility of having a 2nd or 3rd spotter in the crowd. Lets avoid the possibility of cheating.

Second: If a driver looses control of their rig and causes an injury to spectators or officials or others in the course of competition, that driver and rig should receive a thorough investigation and inspection by the martial to ascertain the cause of the loss of control (such as steering, brake or throttle control). When the cause of the problem has been found then only should the competitor be allowed to continue. Said competitors should be black flagged for some amount of time. Such as the rest of the day or two
obstacles.

Thanks
Creighton UROC #200

BlackSheep

baaaaaaaaaad to the bone
Supporting Member
Wow, creighton,
You have picked a doosy with the radio issue and the injury issue.

I would have to agree with you on the injury/black flag issue. In every type of racing, a competitor can be black flagged for any number of reasons. To determine the cause of an injury (whether it be to a spectator, or to part of the competing team), sounds like a good idea.

As far as the radios go.....this is a tough one. IMO, the radios actually make the competitors safer. I haven't been in attendance to a lot of crawling competitions, but I have seen plenty of crawling. One thing is for sure, there is plenty of situations where the driver cannot see the spotter, and often, cannot hear the spotter. With the radios, there is always communication between the team (Assuming the radios are working properly). Considering this, I don't think banning them is the best idea. Perhaps the radio channels could be published in the event program for each team using them? I don't know the best course of action, but I do think the radios do give the team an additional factor of safety.

p.s. I assume you brought this up to the driver committee in some way?

Nixter

on the road again...
I agree with the Black Flag issue. I think that goes back to common sense.

As far as the radios, when they worked, I liked using the ones we did when we competed. It prevented me from having to shout over the crowed so myself and the driver could just hear. I see where your going with the competitors wanting to get close to hear what's going on, but until this sport become a multi billion a year industry, (like Nascar) I think the set up right now, works good.

BTW, is there a 'suggestion box' for UROC/RCAA??

Andy

aka. Hollywood
I agree with the injury/black flag thing. The radios are a necesity I think for spotter safety, I can't tell you how many times I coulden't see or hear Brent in Vernal. As for spotters in the crowd I don't care if they do or not, honestly the only person that makes the difference is the spotter, the outside influence is a distraction.

creighton

One point I failed to make very well in my opening post is that the whole radio thing allows people other then the just the spotter to direct the driver. Craig mentioned this type of cheating in the drivers meeting in St. George. I guess we could have somebody monitoring the channels for each driver but that would be a pain. I have been to every UROC event as a spectator of sorts and just think that the guys that use radios are not as much fun to watch. I think that the team aspect of the sport is best portrayed by verbal communication. The crowd loves teams like Carl and Von yelling to each other.

I don’t think we can have spectators all sitting around with headphones listening in, preventing them from hearing the directions from the crowd control guys.

I think this whole technology thing could get out of hand in a hurry. We already have guys with video cameras and video screens in their rigs to see what they can’t. Isn’t that why we have spotters. I realize that people want every advantage they can but if we want to maintain the competitive nature and the affordability of the sport we must put a halt to the technological proliferation.

Technology should not get in the way of the basis of one rig one team and a huge rock.

I don’t think we need One rig One team a Huge rock a video team beaming video to the driver and a radio team and a radio monitor and three spotters and electronic steering sensors ect. ect.

SmokinCamel

Went from 80" to 125" :)
Here is what I think. Radios should be manatory. Radio communications are more professional and are clearer, when I guess they work. I don't know how they work out since I never used them. I can see where yelling adds excitment, but it adds risk. When I was watching in St. George I noticed a few driver not even pay attition to there spotter, and then the spotter would get all mad and get pissed. I can see when a twisty course or when the spotter can be seen at all times it is not a big deal. but when you are at high RPMs and can't hear the spotter it can be very useful and safer. That's just my thought n the whole thing. Damn make me want to goto Farmington now. :cool:

BlackSheep

baaaaaaaaaad to the bone
Supporting Member
Creighton,
now, you did leave out a very important part of the whole radio thing. The possibility of someone other than the spotter being on the radio is something I hadn't really thought of.....

Unfortunately, while I hope this isn't really happening, I guess right now there is no way to know.

This was also brought up in the officials meeting and we were told to watch out for 'sideline spotters'. If someone is yelling where the judge can hear it, it might be easy to catch, but if they are talking into a radio, there isn't much that can be done by a judge.

I asked before, and I apoligize if you already said, but have you brought this up to the rules committee? This is a very interesting discussion, but the majority of the folks on this board fall into the spectator catagory. I know several members of RME are judges, but I hope you've gone directly to the source to get UROC's feedback.

And, in case I am coming off wrong, I do enjoy hearing the communication between the spotter and driver. This radio issue is one that definately needs some discussion to bring up all of the advantages and disadvantages of their use.

Andy

aka. Hollywood
So what kind of helmet do you wear in competition Creighton? Now how is a driver that is wearing a race helmet supposed to hear the spotter. I don't see why you are making such a big deal about other communications going to the driver/spotter, if they need it and they win that way, that's on them. I know for a fact that a few teams have done that and I could care less.

creighton

THe type of helmet is a good point. I have only worn a cap type Harley helmet. I can see both sides I just wanted to open up the discussion.