UROC St. George, buckle up.

RockMonkey

Suddenly Enthusiastic
We're back. Here are my thoughts. :mad2: There was so much speculation over the winter about how much UROC was going to suck with Patey's and Ranch involved. I was really looking forward to seeing if they could pull it off, put on a good event, and prove everyone wrong. They didn't. :(

By now everyone knows about the up-front money issue, and the eternally changing new rules, so I won't go into that. I'll just say that those were warning signs of the suckiness of the new UROC.

In the good old days, when we registered for an event, Craig sent us all out a packet that contained an itinerary, directions to tech, and other stuffs that the competitors needed. They didn't send anything out. We didn't know what was going on. So, before we left we checked the UROC web site to get the info. Guess what? Nothing there! I couldn't even find an address for where we were supposed to go for technical inspection, and when. Of course, they did fine people $100 for being late for tech. :rolleyes: Luckily, tech was in the same place as it was for Supercrawl II, so we found it. I have no idea how new competitors found it. Divining rods?

Speaking of tech... What a joke. The enforcement of the new rules was totally unpredictable. Some people got through without roll bar padding, while they failed other people for not having the space in their tube fenders filled in with material (not that it said in the rules you had to). The new rules say you have to have a winch bag (useless with the required winch rope, by the way), a clevis, and a snatch block, in the rig (to bean you on the head when you roll on their impossibly difficult courses). They didn't check for any of that, or a first aid kit, or trash bags. They did check to make sure your winch works, even though it doesn't say anywhere in the rules that it had to work. They check em, because they knew we were gonna need em. :mad: They didn't even check to make sure the tires on the modified rigs were under 37 inches! They didn't even have a caliper there! Next time I'm gonna run 40s... Usually at tech all the teams would get a free lunch, and an event T-shirt. Guess what? Nothing. Despite our raised entry fees, we no longer get shirts or lunch. I don't know what I'm gonna wear any more...

Then we got to the drivers meeting. Yup, another joke. This is a brand new series, with brand new rules, and brand new teams. So what did we go over at the drivers meeting? Yup, you guessed it. The new UROC web site. :confused: Don't worry, they also showed us a bunch of the stupid ways they're spending our money, like by renting an entire building at SEMA :eek: to build a course, too bad they never built one in St. George. :mad2: We never went over any of the new rules, the itinerary, the course, nothing of any use to anybody. What a bunch of crap. Well, when we start competing all will be well, right?

We were allowed to walk all the courses Friday morning (I actually liked that idea, for the record). Holy crap did they look hard. Apparently the RCAA courses have always been long and technical, and the UROC courses have always had more difficult terrain. So they naturally combined the two, and made extremely difficult courses that were so long and had so many cones on them that they were nearly impossible. Virtually no difference between the modified and super modified courses, either. The courses were so difficult that in the modified class, on the B course the first day, there was only one person that completed a single obstacle with a score less than 40. :eek: Oh yeah, we competed until dark and failed to finish five courses, so they only counted the first three courses we did for the day. Anybody that ran a fourth or fifth course on Friday and broke got royally screwed. Dean Bullock had his win ripped from his hands because his score on his fourth obstacle didn't count, because not everyone got to do a fourth obstacle. The second day we started at 7:00 AM to try to get five obstacles in before dark. It all came down to B3 at about 6:00, with ten more rigs to go through the obstacle. So guess what they started to do? Run two rigs on the same obstacle at the same time. Talk about a safety hazard... That's totally not even close to fair for those teams trying to run on that obstacle, and every team forced to do it that way got a 40. We were the last team there, and it was dark, and we were pressured into taking a 40 without even attempting the obstacle. Not that we would have been allowed to make a real attempt anyway. What a bunch of crap.

At the awards ceremony (which no one knew was at the RCAA trailer at the event site), Ranch and Mark didn't even come out to hand out the awards. The Searge read all the winners and handed out the checks. For the record, 5th and 6th place in the Modified class went to teams who got 40s on every obstacle but one. Yup, seven 40s and one 16 is good enough for 6th place at UROC now. :rolleyes: At the end of the ceremony Mark Patey was man enough to admit that the event sucked, and apologize for it, and promise that it won't happen again. Ranch said some wormy thing that didn't even sound sincere and no one listened. I guess we'll see if the events get better. We'll keep going to them, they already have all our money and they sure aren't giving any of it back.

Oh yeah. I don't know if it's because the courses were so hard or what, but a lot of people were getting hurt. A spotter got launched off the top of a rock by a "safety strap", a spotter got totally run over (head and all), and Skinny actually got cut out of his rig and hauled down the rock on a stretcher. I never want to see that stuff happen again

VANDALL

"(RANCH P.)ARCA was sh*t"
"(CRAIG S.)UROC was cool"
"(RANCH P.)RCAA was sh*t"
"(RANCH P.)UROC is bullsh*t"

VANDALL.

grinch

inner city redneck
Yeah I hope things change. I just checked are score to are score sheet and it was wrong. They added an extra 10 points on to are score somwhere. That put Jake and I in 8th place when we should have been in 7th.
I e-maild them and asked them to fix it on are perment record. Those points count agenst us for the season...
We will see if they do fix it or not....
I hope things change. I love this sport and this put a serious damper on it.

Mike_Lib

Mall Crawlin'
That's too bad :(

I've got a few questions:

1. How much were they charging for admission? Different price for kids vs. adults?

2. How much was the entry fee? Was it different by class?

3. Do they pay their judges? If yes do you know how much?

4. How much was the prize money?

BTW - I had a run in with Mr. Patey a few weeks ago and he's a real talker :rolleyes:

RockMonkey

Suddenly Enthusiastic
Mike_Lib said:
That's too bad :(

I've got a few questions:

1. How much were they charging for admission? Different price for kids vs. adults?

2. How much was the entry fee? Was it different by class?

3. Do they pay their judges? If yes do you know how much?

4. How much was the prize money?

BTW - I had a run in with Mr. Patey a few weeks ago and he's a real talker :rolleyes:
1. I believe it was 10 bucks per person, but I could be wrong.
2. That's a tough one, a great company wrote my check for me. :D I think the entry fee was 275. Also, there was a series fee of 200 bucks, or something like that.
3. I don't think so. Those guys work hard and I appreciate them. There are a couple that I don't think should be judging, but the vast majority are awesome, and they're really on our side.
4. The payout is supposed to be what's on this page, but I can tell you my check was slightly less than that. :confused:

Mike_Lib

Mall Crawlin'
RockMonkey said:
1. I believe it was 10 bucks per person, but I could be wrong.
2. That's a tough one, a great company wrote my check for me. :D I think the entry fee was 275. Also, there was a series fee of 200 bucks, or something like that.
3. I don't think so. Those guys work hard and I appreciate them. There are a couple that I don't think should be judging, but the vast majority are awesome, and they're really on our side.
4. The payout is supposed to be what's on this page, but I can tell you my check was slightly less than that. :confused:

Interesting...

I'm just curious about what type of money is involved with the events...

FYI - From the site
http://www.uroc.com/about.html

196,000 people attended last year. 10% were under 18, so let's guess and say 5% were young enough and they didn't have to pay.

So....lets assume roughly 185K people attended and paid.

At $10/head that's $1.85M in revenue from attendance.

There were 5 events last year so we'll assume an average of $370K per event.
I'm not sure if sponsors are paying to be at events...if they are then add that in as revenue.

Hmmm...I thought the $'s would be bigger :confused:

RockMonkey

Suddenly Enthusiastic
Mike_Lib said:
Interesting...

I'm just curious about what type of money is involved with the events...

FYI - From the site
http://www.uroc.com/about.html

196,000 people attended last year. 10% were under 18, so let's guess and say 5% were young enough and they didn't have to pay.

So....lets assume roughly 185K people attended and paid.

At $10/head that's $1.85M in revenue from attendance.

There were 5 events last year so we'll assume an average of $370K per event.
I'm not sure if sponsors are paying to be at events...if they are then add that in as revenue.

Hmmm...I thought the $'s would be bigger :confused:
The sponsors are paying big $$$ to have the banners up. After paying the bill, UROC didn't put up a third of the banners that one of the companies paid for. Don't know if I'm at liberty to name names, but my info comes directly from the company rep who was at the event.

Herzog

somewhat damaged
Admin
I had been following the coverage on Pirate. Sounds like everybody pretty much had the same thing to say as you. It's too bad things are turning out this way, but hope for the best, I guess.

I suppose this is another reason I don't compete...

redrockcrawler

earth rover 2012
whasnt uroc started because the other comp's were ran like this it sound like someone needs to start a new one and not sale out to the big corperations. the sport from what i see is going straight in to the sh*ter and i for one will not go to the events because of the way it is ran and from what i here and i defintly will not compete most of what i here and read about it is a joke
let get some people together and start a new one i add some coin if we could keep it simple stupid!

RockMonkey

Suddenly Enthusiastic
redrockcrawler said:
whasnt uroc started because the other comp's were ran like this it sound like someone needs to start a new one and not sale out to the big corperations. the sport from what i see is going straight in to the sh*ter and i for one will not go to the events because of the way it is ran and from what i here and i defintly will not compete most of what i here and read about it is a joke
let get some people together and start a new one i add some coin if we could keep it simple stupid!
You start a good one and you'll have my entry fee.

RWH

Let's Roll For Justice
that's uber gay.... :( i've only watched the event's and can say i liked being at supercrawl 1 and 2 more then this weekends crap. There was to much tension and the courses were lame hard as well as what sounds like the enforcement of lame rules. sounds like someone need's to be Slap with a canoe paddle.

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
I agree that this weekend was a total mess... Ranch, Mark & Mike (The guy that built the courses) knew they screwed the pooch, had the balls to apollogize & said they will try to improve the next event. I honestly think they will be getting so much feedback from this last event that they will have more then enough ideas for the next 3 seasons.

One thing I'd like to see... Not counting this event's scores into the season's standings. Keep this event as a standalone event. I was unfair to many people & they shouldn't add that unfairness to the rest of the season.

I have more ideas, but I'll save them for my email to Ranch & Mark. ;)

redrockcrawler

earth rover 2012
it seems that a lot of people want to suck up to ranch and mark and that does not seem to work it is not doing any good we need to understand that they think that if they hold the events people will compete and therefor people will watch but they dont understand that the compediters are the ones who get the people to come out to watch you the compeditor have the power to make or break their bank if you all get together and openly talk about you problems you will get much closer to a event that you want to compete in. if if the compeditors are happy with the event it will directly effect the performance and that would show to the crowd that everone is having a good time and they will come back for more events dont let ranch screw things up for every body

Last edited:

redrockcrawler

earth rover 2012
this is just an idea i have been kicking around let me know how you feel about it

a competition that has some of these rules

same wheel base rigs
same width
same tire size
same H.P. but final drive can be different
also some other modifications to rigs would be the same i am still working on this but it be fare so any body that meets the requirements would have a chance to win not just the big dog money pit teams

RockMonkey

Suddenly Enthusiastic
redrockcrawler said:
this is just an idea i have been kicking around let me know how you feel about it

a competition that has some of these rules

same wheel base rigs
same width
same tire size
same H.P. but final drive can be different
also some other modifications to rigs would be the same i am still working on this but it be fare so any body that meets the requirements would have a chance to win not just the big dog money pit teams
I believe Camo is setting this up for CalRocks. It is a spec class where everyone is basically running the same rig. Honestly, it doesn't appeal to me. I don't want to see a whole bunch of the same rig. Half the sport is trying to out-build the next guy. The development of cutting edge rigs and technology is really cool to watch.

RWH

Let's Roll For Justice
I think the rules he stated allow for a lot of modifications but keep a few thing's even that make attacking obstacles more then just a WheelBase, width, and tire size debate. it's more of a rig design quality thing.

ofcourse there would still be a wide open to design unlimited class right?