Used car advice

StrobeNGH

no user title
I couldn't bring myself to post this in the general section . . .

Which of the following wagons would/wouldn't you recommend (goal is fun and reliability):
Saab 9-3 wagon (2.0t or 2.8v6) 2006-2008
Subaru Outback (2.5xt or 3.0h6) 2006-2008
Volvo V50 T5 2005, 2007-2008 (2006's have serious electrical gremlins)
Audi A3 (2.0 or 3.2 Quattro) 2006-2008

And what about these cars:
Accura TSX 2005-2007
Honda Accord Ex v6 (manual) 2006-2007
Infiniti G35 2005-2006

Experience is appreciated!

N-Smooth

Smooth Gang Founding Member
Bought a 2005 TSX 6-spd brand new. I've had it 8 years and have only replaced brake pads and the passenger door lock actuator. I did have to turn the rotors when my wife warped them. I also put in a short shifter and a camber kit for the rear just for fun. It's a very fun car to drive and I still love it after 8 years and 106k miles. I took it to MMP last year for WideOpenWednesday and had a blast. When I get in other cars, even new ones I feel like the TSX is nicer and I get a lot of compliments on it.

I wouldn't even look at any of the other cars besides the Accord because I'm a Honda guy. If you want a wagon, get a TSX wagon... they're sweet and pretty rare. My experience with Honda cars has been great, hence the obvious bias

TRD270

Emptying Pockets Again
Supporting Member
My ladies dad has a G35 sweet car fun to drive, also stay away from the Audi my mom used to have an audi all-road spent more time at the dealer than on the road

Bart

My wife loved our Audi A3 wagon, and it was a fun car to drive. At the end it was at the shop monthly with $500 plus bills. We've had our Volvo XC for about 7 years and it's been one of the most dependable cars ever.

UFAB

Acura is a Honda so your good there. Subaru is also good.

Those choices your good. From experience all the others are lingering bills.

StrobeNGH

no user title
I'm leaning towards the V50, with the Accura and Honda in a tie for 2nd place, Infiniti, then Subaru rounding it out. I love the Audi's, but I can't commit with everyone telling me of their close relationship with the dealership they have formed since buying an Audi.

Anyone have experience with the Volvo? Same platform as Mazda 3, Euro Ford focus, and Volvo S40. I've read the 2006's had electrical gremlins, but haven't heard anything about 2007-8's

sixstringsteve

When I researched the V50 I loved it until I read the repair horror stories. Apparently the electronic gadgets are insanely expensive to repair, and many often need repair.

Regarding the Accord, good call on the manual trans. The auto trans behind the v6 is weak and has issues and costs $4500 to replace (I'm told it's the same tranny as the Odyssey and Pilot).

We have a Honda Accord EX (2005) with the 4cyl. It has been a great car. Great safety features, super super cheap to maintain, and very well-dsignged. The front end is ugly in my opinion, but we spend more time driving it than standing in front of it looking at the front. I have been very happy with all my civics in the past, and this accord is every bit as reliable and maintenance free. Plus they're inexpensive to purchase.

N-Smooth

Smooth Gang Founding Member
I'd also suggest the 2007-2011 Civic Si. My buddy had a 4 door and it was a sweet ride. That K20 loves to rev (all Honda motors do) and it got great mileage

skippy

Pretend Fabricator
I would stick with the honda or acura, I daily drive a 2000 honda civic and although it is a ghetto beater I cant kill it 285,000 miles on the odometer (i have owned it since it had 90k) It has been a great car and commutes from Tooele to Salt Lake every day

StrobeNGH

no user title
When I researched the V50 I loved it until I read the repair horror stories. Apparently the electronic gadgets are insanely expensive to repair, and many often need repair.

Regarding the Accord, good call on the manual trans. The auto trans behind the v6 is weak and has issues and costs $4500 to replace (I'm told it's the same tranny as the Odyssey and Pilot).

We have a Honda Accord EX (2005) with the 4cyl. It has been a great car. Great safety features, super super cheap to maintain, and very well-dsignged. The front end is ugly in my opinion, but we spend more time driving it than standing in front of it looking at the front. I have been very happy with all my civics in the past, and this accord is every bit as reliable and maintenance free. Plus they're inexpensive to purchase.

Did you read about electrical problems on all V50 models, or just the 2006 models?

sixstringsteve

The 2006 had the most problems, but I couldn't find a certain year that was free of expensive problems. I love the idea of the car though, I just didn't want to gamble with the shady mechanical issues. Plus, it worried me that Volvo went to being a sweedish company, to an American company (Ford) to being owned by a Chinese company now all within about 10 years.

But take my reviews with a grain of salt, I value reliability over just about anything. Leather seats, power windows, etc are all nice-to-haves to me, but they come second to reliability.

Caleb

We had a 2007 Civic for a couple years. Not really any problems, but you could tell it's a cheaply made car. (I was glad to see it go) I'd go with the Subaru, maybe the Acura...although my mom has been having lots of problems with her TSX lately.