Jeep Used Smittybilt SRC Bumper

DakarNick

Hi all. I have the chance to buy a used one from a local body shop, slightly scratched, for $200.

Greg gave me his opinion, which I truly appreciate, so I thought I'd ask the masses to see if they agree.

I read and heard their quality leaves a bit to be desired so wanted to ask the experts.

Good/decent quality? Good deal?

This is what it looks like installed.

Thanks

Attachments

• SmartSelectImage_2018-01-14-22-25-57.png
    SmartSelectImage_2018-01-14-22-25-57.png
    106.2 KB · Views: 17
  • SmartSelectImage_2018-01-14-22-25-40.png
    SmartSelectImage_2018-01-14-22-25-40.png
    83.8 KB · Views: 17

DakarNick

Why not? Seems like at that price if you don't end up liking it you can flip it on craigslist or something.

Thanks, kind of what I thought. I posted this on Expedition Portal and was told "Considering one can buy this bumper NEW for a few bucks more." So, I researched and found them for no less than $400. Of course, he didn't cite or link where that was. So, $200 sounds like half of what a new one is.

mesha

By endurance we conquer
seems like a decent price to me. The quality can be wanting, but I have also bought some decent smittybilt products. If you can look at the bumper before you buy it that will help a lot. If it looks like it is in decent shape then go for it!

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
I'll weigh in again, just to add a little more. For the price, it seems like a good deal. Being honest, I don't care for the construction with main portion of the bumper being plate, then combined with tube on the corners. It just looks poorly designed, like the tube was an after thought. Far as the brand, I really don't care for Smittybilt products, they are known for ripping off other companies ideas and then building a cheap copy in China. Far as a bumper and their build quality, there's not much that could really go wrong with it, provided the welds are sound. I doubt you're going to run King of the Hammers in your JKU, so I'd imagine the bumper will hold up to the hits you'll give it.

If a new one can be found for $400 and this one is half that, I'd say it's a pretty decent deal. It'll provide more protection than the factory bumper, that's for sure.

Check it out.... offer them $150 if it's beat up or the paint is faded. If you choose to upgrade to something better in the future, like mentioned above, you can always resell it and get your money out!

DakarNick

Thank you, everyone, who gave experience and opinions. I went to look at it. Good shape. Few scratches but nothing serious. As soon as he said, "it's been here a while", I offered him $160. He took the cash, I took the bumper (which barely fits in the back with the seats down).

Last edited:

BlueWolfFab

Running Behind
Smittybilt is definitely barely a step above Harbor Freight with their products but HF doesn't sell JK bumpers, so for $160 I'd be happy too. (Almost) any mods are better than no mods, and I couldn't build and sell one for that, so I likely would have bought it too.