Idaho UT wheelers are gonna run Idaho again for 2014... Jun 26 thru 29th

jinxspot

~ Bush Eater's Offroad ~
UT wheelers are gonna run Idaho again for 2014...
Trails: Falling Rock Trail/Blacks Canyon/Lake Channel

The Idaho wheeling trip's went so well last year were doing it again the last weekend of June.
Please let me know if your interested and I will set you up with more details. Plans are to leave Thursday June 25th after work to head to camping spot in Idaho.

Camping Thurs night close to Pocatello. Friday wheel Lake Channel Area, Saturday wheeling "Falling Rocks" trail at the Teton damn and camp in Idaho Falls at the entrance to Blacks Canyon... then sat night into Sunday wheel Blacks Canyon before heading home.

only disclaimer is that you and any of your guests you bring must respect the private property and obey common sense rules of staying at someone's home that's letting us campout in the back of their property

Post up if your interested....

Nappy

Nappystunts.com
Interested... I have a good friend in Idaho Falls with a jeep. He never gets to bring it out. I'd love to go up there and get him and his jeep out...

jinxspot

~ Bush Eater's Offroad ~
Remind me, these are pretty gnarly trails right? As in probably shouldn't take my hummer on?

pretty decent trail system, 35's + dual lockers with possible body damage on rockers with jeep sized vehicles, but K5's are still prelevent on the trails . I've never been to lake channel, but hear its an awesome area in general to wheel in the dunes that also had rocks.... so that's a free for all. blacks canyon has bypasses on all obstacles and I've see DD Sammie's to Yota's on 33's have fun, falling rock is a crawlers dream, but a DD jeep with 35's did the trail with us last time. If you would be game for camping and trying most the trails it would still be a good journey from my perspective.

rustyjeep21

Lake channel has something for everyone, there is a new area before the dunes that does a pretty good job of finding your limits. haven't been to falling rock or blacks but have heard they are challenging. Falling rock I've heard has a trail that runs above it for less built rigs. Shelly rocks might also be a good trail to run in the area as well.

jinxspot

~ Bush Eater's Offroad ~
So a 85 runner on 37s locked and duels might be to much?

Hell's NO... are ya ever too built? Were rolling 40's+, V8's and long travel Links and there are still obstacles that go unconquered, the layout of the trails allows you to sidestep if need be. I know a lot of people are curious about ID trails and its a good time for all.

some reference pics:

for as far as the eye can see there are boulders that dwarfed fullsize crawlers w/ 42's:
http://www.rme4x4.com/showthread.php?92202-Falling-Rock-and-Blacks&highlight=Falling+Rock

http://www.rme4x4.com/showthread.php?91955-UT-wheelers-gonna-run-Idaho-again-Falling-Rock-Trail-Blacks-Canyon-(Aug-4th-amp-5th)&highlight=Falling+Rock

IMG_20120804_145658.jpg

idahoyj

I'm in Twin Falls, ID, about 2hrs southwest of Idaho Falls. I think I will try to come up for Saturday. Any idea what time you plan to get rolling Saturday morning?

jinxspot

~ Bush Eater's Offroad ~
I'm in Twin Falls, ID, about 2hrs southwest of Idaho Falls. I think I will try to come up for Saturday. Any idea what time you plan to get rolling Saturday morning?

its all pre planning at the moment and trying to gather some form of committed list other than Bush Eater members... In my eyes we would like to pull out of Idaho falls around 8:30 - 9am so we can get to the Teton damn at a decent time to spend the better portion of the day on the trail. Falling Rock is a decent 3 to 4 hour run if you try all obstacles, but the area has days worth of boulders to concur the size of dump trucks if we have the time to play.

jinxspot

~ Bush Eater's Offroad ~
Lake channel has something for everyone, there is a new area before the dunes that does a pretty good job of finding your limits. haven't been to falling rock or blacks but have heard they are challenging. Falling rock I've heard has a trail that runs above it for less built rigs. Shelly rocks might also be a good trail to run in the area as well.

Shelly is def cool too and close to Pokey, we just don't have an additional day to get it in this time... and it def chewed up my stickies last time!!!
hahahaha

flexyfool

GDW
The Idaho trails are fun for buggies, truggies, old-school hardcore Jeeps, or open/open stockers. Something like, say, a nice rubicon on 35s sucks. The easy stuff is so easy you are just looking at the scenery. The hard stuff is such that you will spend all day bashing the diffs, steering, drive shafts, getting high centered, and trashing the body in places you never thought possible.

Nappy

Nappystunts.com
The Idaho trails are fun for buggies, truggies, old-school hardcore Jeeps, or open/open stockers. Something like, say, a nice rubicon on 35s sucks. The easy stuff is so easy you are just looking at the scenery. The hard stuff is such that you will spend all day bashing the diffs, steering, drive shafts, getting high centered, and trashing the body in places you never thought possible.

Well, that sucks!!!!! All I have is a nice Rubicon on 35s.

jinxspot

~ Bush Eater's Offroad ~

Being engulfed in the scenery isn't always half bad either... esp if your just playing following the leader, camping with friends and seeing gnarly wheelers do what they do too, I mean what do you do if youre the "built guy" and break on the first day... ;)
Don't get me wrong we go prepared with some heavily built rigs, but I'd never turn away anyone that was willing to come check out some new trails and has a decent rig. If you create a login www.Planet4x4.net has a bit of extra pics and info on each of the trails.

Falling Rock is probably the hardest for the weekend (37's & dual lockers min to run the real trail).

Blacks is pretty easy/short and all the major rocks are optional (35's & one locker min to hang with the group)...
(note: really just fun to go see Chad whether you wheel or walk!!!)

Lake Channel is scenic with dunes & with some rocks that are more like obstacle areas (35's & one locker min to hang with the group).
http://www.planet4x4.net/forums/showthread.php?t=13280

Last edited:

flexyfool

GDW
Well, that sucks!!!!! All I have is a nice Rubicon on 35s.

Honestly, the only reason to do the East Idaho trails is that the weather is a lot nicer in the summer. If it's 105 deg with stanky air in SLC, then it's probably a nice 80-85 at Falling Rock. I give the trails a grade of C for the recreational rock crawling experience. For reference, I rate Sand Hollow A+, Montrose A, BFE A-, 21 Road B+, Cedar City B, Boise B.

Nappy

Nappystunts.com
Honestly, the only reason to do the East Idaho trails is that the weather is a lot nicer in the summer. If it's 105 deg with stanky air in SLC, then it's probably a nice 80-85 at Falling Rock. I give the trails a grade of C for the recreational rock crawling experience. For reference, I rate Sand Hollow A+, Montrose A, BFE A-, 21 Road B+, Cedar City B, Boise B.

Thank you! That may actually make my decision for me. I'd rather get back on all the trails around here until it's too hot. And I get up there a few times later in the summer anyways. I'll just have to take the jeep instead of tacoma. Glad you put things into perspective for me.

flexyfool

GDW
Being engulfed in the scenery isn't always half bad either... esp if your just playing following the leader, camping with friends and seeing gnarly wheelers do what they do too, I mean what do you do if youre the "built guy" and break on the first day... ;)
Don't get me wrong we go prepared with some heavily built rigs, but I'd never turn away anyone that was willing to come check out some new trails and has a decent rig. If you create a login www.Planet4x4.net has a bit of extra pics and info on each of the trails.

Falling Rock is probably the hardest for the weekend (37's & dual lockers min to run the real trail).

Blacks is pretty easy/short and all the major rocks are optional (35's & one locker min to hang with the group)...
(note: really just fun to go see Chad whether you wheel or walk!!!)

Lake Channel is scenic with dunes & with some rocks that are more like obstacle areas (35's & one locker min to hang with the group).
http://www.planet4x4.net/forums/showthread.php?t=13280

X2.

I didn't mean to be exclusionary or a buggy-snob. I just want to set expectations properly.

Ryan is correct. Each of the areas is accessible with any kind of 4x4 or ATV/UTV/bike.

Another note: Yellowstone and the Grand Tetons are very close. You can see the Grand Tetons from Falling Rock even. So its an opportunity to peal off and see those bucket-list national parks. Heck! I would love to do a day hike up the west side of the Tetons and see more of Yellowstone and hike into some of the attractions that are off the driving tour.