Utah Auto Registration BS

Bones

Okay, tieing up a lot of the loose ends on my 86 4runner to 87 Xcab body swap and wonder what the laws are out there so I don't screw myself. Here in MO I'm supposed to take both my old 4runner title and VIN plates to the State Patrol along with the ones on the new donor cab along with a bill of sale. They inspect it, pass/fail it and issue me a new title/VIN plates, then it's all good. :rolleyes:

Here's MY deal. I got the cab for free with no title, BUT I have a title and VIN plates from Maryland WITH a bill of sale. I could:

A) Install these and go the "legal" route

B) Leave it registered as the 4runner but on the title it states it's a utility not a truck. Simple, but easy to catch (could tell them I simply chopped off my 4runner ass and grafted on the Xcab part??)

C) Simply register it as the 87 Xcab and forgo all the hassles of the state patrol. Esier and less hassle.

Who's going to look at the frame VIN anyway on a 15 year old truck???? That's the least of their worries, the mods should scare them away :D What would you guys reccomend, and will B or C catch up with me in UT if/when we move? What's the worst thing that could happen? Keep in mind if I left it as the 4runner and it someday becomes a buggy, what to do then (frame VIN)????

Whew! That was enough typing for me tonight
Later

Caleb

in Utah you can register it as a rebuilt vehicle and call it what you want pretty much...I dont know the price of doing that though...I think you should have much problems cause its not like you are making it a buggy and then trying to get it to pass...know what I mean...when it does become a buggy you will prolly have to register it as a offroad vehicle only if it wont pass safety and/or emissions...

Bones

Thanks, so ya think any of the three would be cool? The buggy idea is just that...an idea. I like staying dry and warm :D Plus buggies are sooo '02 anyway :p

Skyetone

Kinda crabby latley
C for sure. But does the vin match the donor chassis? You said that the title is off a different truck. Just bluff it into an 87 x-cab. They will nail you for mudflaps but won't care about the rest. :D

Bones

Originally posted by Skyetone
C for sure. But does the vin match the donor chassis? You said that the title is off a different truck. Just bluff it into an 87 x-cab. They will nail you for mudflaps but won't care about the rest. :D
Good deal! C was always plan A in my head. I have the VIN plates and title and bill of sale from kid online. The frame is the 4runners, so no they don't match. I don't think you could make out the numbers anyway considering it's lived it's whole life in MN, IA and MO = SALT. No frame rot thank god.

Caleb

actually I was just looking on the DMV site and they used something like this as an example...here is wat they had to say about it...

"A "reconstructed vehicle" is a vehicle that is required to be registered in Utah, and has been materially altered from its original construction by the removal, addition or substitution of essential parts, new or used.

The make and year of the vehicle are determined by what the vehicle looks like after reconstruction.

Example: A 1978 Ford pickup body is mounted onto a 1977 Ford pickup frame the vehicle will be a 1978 Ford. The model is reconstructed.

To title and register a reconstructed vehicle the owner must:

Complete a Form TC-569, "Ownership Statement," explaining how essential parts were acquired, how the vehicle was constructed and the completion date.
Turn over to the DMV the title(s) to vehicle(s) from which essential parts were used (essential parts include the frame and body). If the title(s) are not available, an "Ownership Statement" must be provided, stating in detail why title(s) cannot be surrendered.
Turn over to the DMV the original bills of sale and original receipts for parts used in construction of the vehicle. The owner may retain copies of the receipts for his or her records.
Complete a Form TC-162, "Application for Utah Official ID Number" and a Form TC-656A "Title and Registration Application".
Provide the DMV with a picture of the vehicle or bring the vehicle to a motor vehicle office for a visual inspection.
Obtain a safety inspection and emissions inspection, if applicable. Vehicles with 1967 or older engines do not require an emissions test. In counties that require emissions testing, the owner must obtain a waiver from the local county emissions office.
If all requirements are met, the vehicle owner will receive a Utah Official ID number for the vehicle. The owner will be instructed as to how to affix the assigned ID number to the reconstructed vehicle. After installation, the VIN must be inspected by a police officer, a motor vehicle examining officer or certified safety inspector. This may require more than one visit.

In addition to the above procedures, all other title and registration requirements must be met, including payment of fees and sales tax. Sales tax is due on the amount paid for all parts, except for parts on which sales tax has already been paid."

so in short, "C" is you legal answer:D:p

PEELBOY

V-8 4X4 PINTO LIVINS
look up the vermont dmv web site if you ever have problems registering in utah or any other state. they will register anything and not care what you do with it afterward (i.e. no bi-yearly inspection) they would not rgister my jeep so thats what i did and it saved me money. 92 dollars for two year registration and no smog check or safety inspection where they ride you for bs stuff.

Bones

Thanks, Mine will be registered in MO before we get there though. Shoot I'll have it inspected and tagged before it ever leaves the garage :D That's the beauty of MO, anything can get tagged if you slip them $20