Utah Emissions - Engine Swap

OCNORB

Supporting Member
switch the title of your rig over to diesel. No diesels older than 1998 have to be tested in slc. thats by far the easiest way to do it anyway. then you never have to deal with any emissions testing, ever. I know they stopped dyno testing years ago. Sniffers on tsi tests are for 1998 and newer diesels and 1995 and older gassers. They only do opacity testing on heavy diesel trucks, something like gvwr 16,000lb and up. Also I'm a certified Salt lake co. inspector.

Awesome info, thanks!

I know I answered the original question...years ago. At that time I was a few years out from being a Davis County I/M & Inspection guy. Now flash forward to 2015 and I'm almost completely clueless on the rules...so I have one question for you:

Will a 1997 light truck that has an older (say 1986) diesel swapped into it have issues getting through?

(BTW- this thread is the number one hit on search engines when you type in "Salt Lake County emissions diesel swap rules".

SAVAGE

http://slcohealth.org/programs/injuryPrevention/pdf/Diesel_IM_Testing.pdf
View attachment Diesel_IM_Testing.pdf

This is the info for the Salt Lake County Emissions office.
Air Pollution Control
788 E. Woodoak Lane (5380 S)
Murray, Utah 84107-6379
(385) 468-3837

Do yourself a favor and talk to these guys. I met most of them and they are very cool. You can ask them all of their questions and they will be a lot of help to you. They understand the passion, i think half of them have harleys and hotrods anyway. I am guessing they might give you the same options I said before and they will probably offer to test it themselves. They have a shop with all the testing equipment, and if nothing else they will look for things like exhaust leaks, admire a awesome engine swap, and they might offer to run a Two Speed Idle test (TSI) and since it will most likely pass they will give you a passing certificate. If you fail the test you get free retests and they will help you get to where you need to be to be clean. But again, I would recommend changing the title to Diesel and not even hassling with the whole process.

But to directly answer your question. No, i do no think you will have any issues getting through and being legal.

hans j

drove a van where?
When I changed my 1986 Syncro to diesel, I went to the Health Department first to get it checked out and so they cold give me a piece of paper to give to the DMV that says I'm now diesel. I even think I went back and forth a couple times because neither place knew what to do with it. They had ZERO idea what to do and just milled around and found some form that almost made sense for a fuel conversion. I pretty much had to point out to them that it had no spark plugs and the exhaust smelled like diesel. The guy who looked at it didn't seem to have much of an idea of what a diesel conversion even is...

He said I really should have asked them if I could do it first, but really? They will just say no so they don't have to deal with it! I got the form and went to the DMV and got the title changed finally.

Technically, you need to pass what ever emissions standard of the engine you put in. But since they don't know the specific differences between a 2002 TDI and a 1997 TDI, I told them it was out of a 1997 :D He didn't even notice the EGR wasn't installed and never asked to plug into the OBD port.

If you can somehow get it inspected at the DMV, that will be way better. I'll look and see if I can find the form they used, I know I reposted it somewhere...

OCNORB

Supporting Member
I've actually called the guys at the health department last year when we swapped a 4.3l into my son-in-laws Comanche. They were very helpful in helping us decided how to proceed on that project. I will definitely call them again on this project, which is currently just a concept that I'm tossing around in my head.

We just bought an FZJ80 with factory lockers that has high miles and may need a new motor soon. As much as I know the diesel would be superior in many ways; I have to weigh the costs, benefits and most importantly the exhaust smell on the trail. I try and run all my off-road junk as cleanly and quietly as possible out of respect for those less enthusiastic about our hobby. But this is all for another thread...

Big thanks for all the above information. It will help me when I call. BTW- I did ask the DMV lady about this and she gave me the impression that all I had to do was a new Application for Title showing the diesel as primary fuel. This was about 2 years ago.