Utah Greater Canyonlands Wirlwind Tour

Jonathan

Western Colorado
Hello Friends, There has been an active discussion tonight over at Expedition Portal. Several people have encouraged me to take things a step further and I have been trying to determine what I can do. I have determined that I have this weekend free and would love to be able to paint a picture of what the Greater Canyonlands area looks like to you and other users. I have offered my time to show you, through the lens of my camera what the current state of the are is. In this endeavor I will travel through the area, documenting existing routes, current mineral extraction, reclaimed well pads, and a general site picture of what we are really looking at. I will provide a narrative of what I see as well as geo-referenced photographs for your use. Due to current financial circumstances, I cant take off on an unplanned trip like this. However, If you are willing to make a small donation to cover mileage and lodging I will make it happen. I have set a threshold of $75 to get this show on the road. If I don't receive that much in donations I will donate all funds to the Utah 4 Wheel Drive Association. If I reach the threshold, I will make the trip. Any funds in excess of my mileage and lodging will be donated in the name of the donor to the Utah 4 Wheel Drive Association (U4WDA.ORG). I would recommend a $10 gift as a starting point. I hope I can do my part to ensure that the true character of the area is represented and documented for those who wish to see it protected for future generations. I'll entertain suggestions and requests for specific areas to visit. Please let me know if you have any questions.

Please send PayPal as a gift to jonharis at hotmail.com

All donations will remain private.

Last edited:

Jonathan

Western Colorado
that's a lot to see in a weekend!

It is for sure. I'm going to have to focus on some key areas. Input is appreciated. As of now I think I will be driving my Subaru. It's good for maintained dirt rads and some slightly more difficult roads. The cruiser is down until next week so it's out of the question. I think using the car will be ok. If I get augered into a specific trail, It will take me considerable time to see a small area. I hope to hit Arch Canyon, and will just hike in a ways. I want to hit the area north of Canyonlands because it has a lot of road access. I hope to go for big picture. I want to show current Oil and Gas sites as well as reclaimed pads. I know of several sites south of green river that I can easily access. I Am I crazy or does this seem doable.

Are you mainly focusing around Moab or are you going to get over to Poison Springs area by Hanksville also?
I'll be driving through that area. Any requests that will work with the above situation. I know I won't be driving Poision Springs Trail but might be able to get in a ways. I might still be able to procure a truck, just waiting on a couple call backs. I need to keep the pace strong and the goal in sight.

In. Money sent.

Thanks Much!

Jonathan

Western Colorado
All-
Thank you so much for the generosity shown in such a short period of time. I have received $370! I look forward to passing this donation along to the U4WDA so that they may continue the great work they are already doing to protect responsible off-road access in Utah.

I am perusing the Utah Gazetteer as we speak and am figuring out a route. I'll try to touch base tomorrow night. I plan to do a couple things here.

1. Establish a 10,000 view of what the greater canyonlands area looks like now. Showing vistas, roads, mining operations etc. I hope to visit some specific examples that the SUWA want's to see closed. Unfortunately that's the only document I have to go by as OIA has still not released anything more detailed. We can think of it as a "worst case" scenario. I want to make extra note of mining and oil/gas operations in the area.

2. Show some of the areas in Western Colorado and Eastern Utah that I have specifically worked on. My intention is to show solid before and after examples of oil and gas locations that I feel represent what can be done to rehabilitate landscapes after energy extraction.

SportSawyer

.... I am perusing the Utah Gazetteer as we speak and am figuring out a route. ....

The the Utah Gazetteer is alright for a general plan, but you'll need the BLM route designation maps to really check things out. All of the area within the Greater Canyonlands boundary that's in the Moab FO is "Limited to Designated Routes" or "Closed." The designated route maps are available from: http://www.blm.gov/ut/st/en/fo/moab.html

You need to get very, very familiar with them in the areas you'll be checking. The RMP is available from the same link. It might be good to learn what management already applies to these lands. It'd be even better if you understood how many new restrictions the RMP imposed.

.... I hope to visit some specific examples that the SUWA want's to see closed. Unfortunately that's the only document I have to go by as OIA has still not released anything more detailed. We can think of it as a "worst case" scenario. ....

Do you still believe the OIA has some different plan than SUWA? The OIA letter is a SUPPORT letter for SUWA's petition / proposal. There's plenty of evidence out there that proves it, including information on both the OIA and SUWA websites.

Something else you might want to think about... SUWA and their ilk routinely monitor internet forums such as RME. Consider that when planning. Loose lips and what not.

jackjoh

Jack - KC6NAR
Supporting Member
A big thank you from U4. As previously stated U4 would back any action like this with funding and physical help. Any one, Club or organization that has a project they would be willing to complete along these lines be sure and let us know so we can help. Since you are not that familiar with the area I would suggest you contact Jeff Stevens or David Adams on this site or in Moab. I hope you are taking at least one other vehicle with you.

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
Johnathan an I spoke for a good bit this morning about his route and his plans, he's got some great stops planned and I hope I was able to help him refine his plans. If/when anyone else goes, it would make sense to chat with Johnathan and again sit down over a map. Ray (from SUWA, a really great guy fwiw) spent an entire summer documenting this area, specifically driving as many of the routes he possibly could in that time. If the motorized community is going to dispute any of their findings, we are going to have to be very organized and scientific about it. When I met with Ray & Heidi (Exec. Dir. of SUWA) they actually asked which routes cause the heartache with the motorized community. The knee-jerk answer is to say all of them, but if we take the same approach the U4 adopted for the RMP revisions (specifically the Moab RMP) in which we conceded to the preferred alternative, perhaps there is some room for negotiation. I'm not saying we offer up routes for closure and then in turn support the GCNM full heartedly. Rather we try and protect the priority routes and work on the rest in phase II?

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
Jonathan, when are you planning to make this trip? If you need a 2nd vehicle for support and would like someone else to assist with documenting the trip with photos, I would love to join. I know some of the area pretty well, made a trip to Poison Springs Canyon this Spring. I'd more than likely drive my wifes '03 4Runner as it will cover ground quickly and is quite capable for most regular 4x4 roads.

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
Jonathan, when are you planning to make this trip? If you need a 2nd vehicle for support and would like someone else to assist with documenting the trip with photos, I would love to join. I know some of the area pretty well, made a trip to Poison Springs Canyon this Spring. I'd more than likely drive my wifes '03 4Runner as it will cover ground quickly and is quite capable for most regular 4x4 roads.

As of an hour ago he was on the outskirts of Green River headed towards Hanksville, Factory Butte, Poison Springs and beyond :D

flexyfool

GDW
All-
Thank you so much for the generosity shown in such a short period of time. I have received $370! I look forward to passing this donation along to the U4WDA so that they may continue the great work they are already doing to protect responsible off-road access in Utah.

I am perusing the Utah Gazetteer as we speak and am figuring out a route. I'll try to touch base tomorrow night. I plan to do a couple things here.

1. Establish a 10,000 view of what the greater canyonlands area looks like now. Showing vistas, roads, mining operations etc. I hope to visit some specific examples that the SUWA want's to see closed. Unfortunately that's the only document I have to go by as OIA has still not released anything more detailed. We can think of it as a "worst case" scenario. I want to make extra note of mining and oil/gas operations in the area.

2. Show some of the areas in Western Colorado and Eastern Utah that I have specifically worked on. My intention is to show solid before and after examples of oil and gas locations that I feel represent what can be done to rehabilitate landscapes after energy extraction.

Let me play devil's advocate here. Photos of beautiful landscapes are counter-productive. Doesn't beautiful land need to be "protected"? Also, how does rehabilitated landscapes after energy extraction help recreational usage? Trails are, inherently, opposite of rehabilitated land. Showing land can be returned to a "natural" state shows that trails can be erased as well.

This is federal land. You aren't talking to fellow western outdoorsmen. You are trying to persuade soccer moms and people who live on the coasts and the big urban areas. These people have no concept of thousands of square miles of dusty barren land. They think the whole west is like the famous parks. Also, these people have no concept of motorized outdoor recreation outside of a drive in the country and boating. They associate what we do with children, motocross tracks, monster truck car crushing, mud-bogging through a farmer's field, and generally Mad Max type mayhem.

Things that resonate with these people are access. Millions drive through the few most popular parks. Family-oriented activities like camping. Old west lifestyle. Cowboy hats, horses, indians. Dramatic scenery. Challenges to land closures need to wrap arguments in these terms.

jackjoh

Jack - KC6NAR
Supporting Member
Kurt, thanks for helping on this. I was hoping that with people like you, Ron Tolman, Jeff Stevens, Dave Adams, Craig, Greg, ETC. you guys have so much experience that you could pull together photo's, stories, and trip reports that would give this whole idea a big boost. This is very encouraging.

sixstringsteve

I'm a little unclear on the end objective of this trip. Is it to take pictures of the area? Document every legal road? How does it help our cause? Not trying to be devil's advocate, just a bit more interested in what this is all about. I think if everyone posted their pictures of the area we could accomplish even more. Divide the area into sectors and have people go out in groups and document what's there. Trying to tackle the entire thing in one month wouldn't be possible, let alone one week.

Jonathan

Western Colorado
I'm a little unclear on the end objective of this trip. Is it to take pictures of the area? Document every legal road?
Thanks for your input. My objective was to provide a 10,000 view of the current condition of the area. Through photos and some good documentation I hope to paint a positive picture of the area for people. A lot of people that are active in the forums that are discussing this are not familiar with the area. This forum, being Utah centric does not have that issue. I am crossposting most of the same messages in multiple areas.

How does it help our cause?
My goal is to show that responsible use is already occurring.

Not trying to be devil's advocate, just a bit more interested in what this is all about. I think if everyone posted their pictures of the area we could accomplish even more.
I agree 100% and would encourage others to do this. I think there is some value in having a singular viewpoint as well. I'll let the forum decide when it's all said and done.

Divide the area into sectors and have people go out in groups and document what's there. Trying to tackle the entire thing in one month wouldn't be possible, let alone one week.
Great Idea. This is something I plan to continue to do extensivly in the coming year. I have proposed runs to areas within the greater canyonlands for our club and would love to see others do the same. The reason I asked for help was because I sensed the urgency to get out as soon as possible and get the info out to the people. It wasn't in the cards for me to do it right away but thanks to some generous individuals we made it happen. The remainder will be going to the U4WDA as a gift from the members of this and other forums.

I am at work currently but plan on starting to disseminate what I saw and put thought to keyboard. Give me a day or two and I will get a completed product out. Thanks everyone.

Jonathan

Western Colorado
Let me play devil's advocate here. Photos of beautiful landscapes are counter-productive. Doesn't beautiful land need to be "protected"? Also, how does rehabilitated landscapes after energy extraction help recreational usage? Trails are, inherently, opposite of rehabilitated land. Showing land can be returned to a "natural" state shows that trails can be erased as well.

This is federal land. You aren't talking to fellow western outdoorsmen. You are trying to persuade soccer moms and people who live on the coasts and the big urban areas. These people have no concept of thousands of square miles of dusty barren land. They think the whole west is like the famous parks. Also, these people have no concept of motorized outdoor recreation outside of a drive in the country and boating. They associate what we do with children, motocross tracks, monster truck car crushing, mud-bogging through a farmer's field, and generally Mad Max type mayhem.

Things that resonate with these people are access. Millions drive through the few most popular parks. Family-oriented activities like camping. Old west lifestyle. Cowboy hats, horses, indians. Dramatic scenery. Challenges to land closures need to wrap arguments in these terms.

Thanks for your reply. Excellent points. After actually doing the drive I noticed that the epic landscapes and utterly low (IMO) impacts where what I was photographing the most. I think this has a way of showing that it in a way is already protected.