Utah to the new PAC 12!

RuggedH2

Just doing my thing.
OH HELL YEAH! University of Utah to the new PAC 12!

How does playing USC, UCLA, Cal, Stanford, Arizona, Oregon, Washington, Oregon State, Arizona State, Washington State, and Colorado sound?

GO UTES!

Utah_Utes_logo.png

RuggedH2

Just doing my thing.
utah-utesPAC12.png

The only Cougars that are going to be relevant anymore....

Wear Crimson also and call themselves Washington State. :D

Just kidding BYU fan.... I couldn't help myself

ricsrx

This is great news, now I don't have to deal with all the morons at work during rivalry week!!!

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
This is great news, now I don't have to deal with all the morons at work during rivalry week!!!

I think they're still going to play BYU, and it'll be the first game of the season.

That game's NOT going away. They'll play it LATE in the season ("Rivalry Week") or the first game. This will fan the rivalry flames. Let's say the Utes are cutting it pretty good in the PAC and they're at 9-2 or something and the BYU game is coming up as the last game of the season. How motivated do you think BYU will be to screw up the Utes season and make a name for themselves?

This just made the rivalry game BETTER x10 :D

Coreshot

Resident Thread Killer
That game's NOT going away. They'll play it LATE in the season ("Rivalry Week") or the first game. This will fan the rivalry flames. Let's say the Utes are cutting it pretty good in the PAC and they're at 9-2 or something and the BYU game is coming up as the last game of the season. How motivated do you think BYU will be to screw up the Utes season and make a name for themselves?

This just made the rivalry game BETTER x10 :D

I hope you're right, but usually all non conference games are played in the first couple weeks of the season and then they settle into a conference schedule for the remainder. I hope that they can work out the rivalry game when it matters more.

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
I hope you're right, but usually all non conference games are played in the first couple weeks of the season and then they settle into a conference schedule for the remainder. I hope that they can work out the rivalry game when it matters more.

Here's an older article outlining the "big" rivalry games.
http://collegefootball.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=687651

Here's another from last year, Nov. 28, 2009
http://www.betus.com/sports-betting...otball-rivalry-week-florida-state-at-florida/

I think it would be awesome to have a 5 min. blurb on the rivalry on nat. television.

Last edited:

SAMI

Formerly Beardy McGee
More money, better conference = bigger badder recruits.. Give it a few years.. I say 3-4, and the U will be a force to be reckoned with.

spencevans

Overlander
While it seems to good from a financial standpoint, this is not a good move from a competition standpoint. The reality is Utah is going to struggle playing in the Pac 12. Utah is not going to be able to greatly improve there recruiting because it is after all Utah and it does not have the appeal of other climates. Utah won't even cut into BYU's recruiting because BYU and Utah recruit different athletes and there is very little cross over.

Congrats to all Ute fans, but don't be disappointed when your annual bowl game is playing BYU because you have a losing record, or even better yet actually playing BYU in a bowl game, that would be exciting. I fully expect BYU to join the Big 12 in the next few years but I wish they would just stay in the MWC because the MWC will get its auto bid and I like the close proximity of the MWC.

RuggedH2

Just doing my thing.
Utah has been recruiting from Socal for a decade. Utah has been competing with Pac 10 schools well.... for just as long. They have the longest bowl winning streak in the nation.

Spence your BYU bias is so obvious and it slants your views so badly that they don't resemble reality.

BYU played Utah in 2004 when the Utes went undefeated and went on to win the Fiesta Bowl and earned a top 5 finish in the country.

BYU played Utah again in 2008 when the Utes again went undefeated and went on to win the Sugar Bowl and earned the #2 finish in the country.

What has BYU done/earned (with or without Utah victories) for themselves this decade?

Oh yeah...... The Las Vegas Bowl.

RuggedH2

Just doing my thing.
Yeah Utah has nothing to offer without BYU. :ugh:

Where do you think Alex Smith played High School football? :D

UofUcampus.jpg

Now the south stands are going to have to be enclosed to bring the stadium to around 60,000 to 65,000 seats for those USC and UCLA games we are going to play every year.

Rice-Eccles.jpg

utah-utesPAC12.png

Last edited:

spencevans

Overlander
Give thanks where thanks is due.

To say Utah is BYU's equal is not reality. Utah was not selected because of there TV market and their athletic program. They were largely selected because they are research institution, there medical school and proximity of all things. BYU has a much stronger athletic program and football program than Utah. Even though BYU is in the #31 TV market like Utah, BYU has traditionally been a top 5 draw on ESPN's ratings because BYU has a strong national following. BYU's is not what the PAC 12 was looking for. The PAC had certain criteria other than athletics and BYU does not meet those criteria. Also, I don't think the PAC 12 wanted to deal with the no play on Sunday issue. It may have helped Utah that they have done well the past few years, but I doubt it, I think they were in either way. Colorado has been terrible in athletics for over a decade and they got in for there research. Utah has an okay tradition in football but it is still the #43 program out of 120 programs according to ESPN and that is nothing to brag about. I am not here to say I hope Utah loses but to think they got the invite because of there stong football program is not true, if it were Colorado would have been left out in the cold. You should thank all the researchers working hard at the U for getting you into the PAC 12, not your football program.

Last edited:

RuggedH2

Just doing my thing.
What makes me laugh about all of this is watching BYU fan turn Utah's getting into the PAC 12..... somehow all about BYU. :rofl:

It's hypocritical and bordering on narcissistic..... it is also another good example of what most of us Utah fans dislike about BYU.... the thing about always thinking you are better than everyone else..... and whether it's just perception or not.... it is widely viewed that way..... and I'm LDS.

It's BYU fan like that..... that gives BYU a bad rep.

Do you let your kids hang out with Utah fan's kids.... or not? ;)

Last edited:

spencevans

Overlander
What makes me laugh about all of this is watching BYU fan turn Utah's getting into the PAC 12..... somehow all about BYU. :rofl:

It's hypocritical and bordering on narcissistic..... it is also another good example of what most of us Utah fans dislike about BYU.... the thing about always thinking you are better than everyone else..... and whether it's just perception or not.... it is widely viewed that way..... and I'm LDS.

It's BYU fan like that..... that gives BYU a bad rep.

Do you let your kids hang out with Utah fan's kids.... or not? ;)

I am an Aggie, get over yourself, I have 3 degrees from USU and I am working on a Doctorate at USU. I have taught the Social Aspects of Sport at USU and this very subject is part of the curriculum. I think I have a much better grasp of these types of things than you think. I see things from an intelligent objective point of view, because that's my job. I am not a homer, I just see things for how they really are. I fully understand the difference between a research institution and an institution like BYU. They just have different goals and the institution of the University of Utah was a good fit for the PAC 12. It had very little to do with athletics, I am just saying be proud of your hard working professors that are all behind the scenes. Those are the real heros if your a Ute fan.

Last edited:

RuggedH2

Just doing my thing.
Well if I lived in Mapleton instead of the slums of Bountiful, and if I had multiple advanced degrees, and if I knew everything about everything.... I would have a hard time being humble.

Getting over myself.