Utah truck registered in Idaho???

Rot Box

Diesel and Dust
Just out of curiosity what would happen if I registered one of my Trucks to my friends house in Idaho? I've heard mixed views on it, but I'm pretty sure it's illegal :ugh:. Any clue of what the law states or where to look to find out? Thanks,

Andrew

wrnchplr

free loader!!
My $hit box has been tagged in Idaho for 5 years now. The law does state that when you move you have to get new plates for that state within 30 days. When ever I got pulled over I just told that cop I am here to see my friends. I am now in colorado with the same tags from Idaho and still never had an issue.

That's an interesting question because we are the Colorado address for a Utah friend. I just put his renewal stuff in an envelope and shoot it to him once a year. I wonder how vastly illegal it really is.

Spork

Tin Foil Hat Equipped
I know when I lived up in Logan the paper would have something on it about once a year. Law states you have 60 Days to register it.
http://dmv.utah.gov/registernonresidents.html

Not sure what the fine is if they catch you in violation, the link stated that if you have a utah drivers license and you've been in Utah for 60 Days then you should be registered. I know people that register it in Idaho under parents names and they are "borrowing" it. ;) You might have a hard time with that if it's your name on the registration.

Found something else...
http://www.slcgov.com/courts/traffic/reg_traf_codes.htm
State law requires that vehicle registration and driver licenses be changed to the State of Utah within sixty days of moving or accepting employment in the State.
Check the blue pages of your local telephone book for the nearest Driver License Division or Motor Vehicle Department. If you live in Salt Lake County, call 965-4437 for driver license information and 297-7781 for motor vehicle registration information. (The recorded message gives answers to the most frequently asked questions 24 hours a day for motor vehicle registration information.)
When registering a vehicle in the State of Utah, you are required to show proof of insurance at the time of the safety inspection and emission test.

The following are reduction policies on first citation only.

12.28.020a- Driving without Utah Registration-Registered out of state with proof of valid registration we will reduce the fine to $250.00

Last edited:

DevinB

I like traffic lights
As long as your name isn't on the registration, how could they enforce it if you told them it wasn't your car and were just borrowing it? If it was your name on the registration and you had a Utah driver's license, you'd be in a tough spot to argue, but other than that... what could they do?

gijohn40

too poor to wheel... :(
My son lives in Evanston Wyoming (where I use to live) and he has an XJ that is legally mine but has been given to him.... its licensed in wyoming but I drive it in Utah every once in a awhile and actually got pulled over in it... the officer told me that even though its in my name as long as it is his vehicle and he lives up there I am just borrowing it... and I could fight the ticket... (he gave me a warning) but you know I wouldn't even want to try to figure that one out...

Your best to just get legal and register it in your home town...

rollover

This question comes up all the time for me. I have a place in Palm Springs and here in SLC plus some commercial property in Texas. My primary address is SLC but I have vehicles reg in all three states and drive them back and forth all the time. There are many legal responses that they wont write you for example cabin or second home, school, temp job, ect...........

Rot Box

Diesel and Dust
Thanks for the reply's... I guess if I got really serious I could sign the title over to my friend, then have him register it, then sign the title back to me (and just hold on to it) so he doesn't decide to take my truck, and just tell the officials that I'm borrowing it if I ever got pulled over.... On second though I'll just abide by the law and stay out of trouble :D

SAMI

Formerly Beardy McGee
my samurai didn't pass I/M at first, so i registered to my grandparents St George condo to get away from the I/M... anytime i got pulled over, if they asked what i was up here for i'd tell them i was going to school.. i would think you could easily use that excuse, going to school, or visiting your sick grandma for awhile or something...

i think there was year that i had it registered in Woodland as well...

-jason

utahxjer

I/M suck, but I have found it easier to just register my rigs/ get them in legal standing than try and register them in other counties.