Utopia

SLC97SR5

IDIesel
We currently have Century Link, 80mb service.
We pay around $45 and have been with them since 2007. They keep screwing up our bill and we have paid upwards of $130 due to their accounting errors, after spending time on the phone they always end up crediting us back the difference the next month but that is getting old.

We do not have any wired devices, it is all WiFi.

Is there any reason to stick with Century Link and not explore Utopia?

Our house is already wired for Utopia, that is what the PO's used.

Please teach me.

Herzog

somewhat damaged
Admin
I have a few coworkers with Utopia and they have been super happy with it. A lot of them recommend xmission for the isp but I feel like I remember them donating money suwa or hosting their crap fro free... been a while... honestly, whoever isp you go with is gonna have good service through the utopia network, it's basically picking who you'll pay through for customer service.

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
Utopia at my work. Very happy.

xfinity at the rental house is exactly what I expected it to be. Headed to Echo Broadband again as soon as we get in the to be built house next door

nnnnnate

Supporting Member
I've had Utopia for 3 years and use sumo. They had a ddos over memorial day weekend which was a hassle but they gave everyone account credits and said they updated some hardware to better negate that type of thing in the future. We pay $30 for a 250 mb connection. We have a lot of devices and haven't ever felt like we needed more.

I'll never leave Utopia as long as it's an option.

SLC97SR5

IDIesel
Thanks guys.
These are not the responses I expected. I guess because Utopia has always seemed to have a political/negative connotation due to the cities that subsidized it.

Like Herzog said, it sounds like their fiber network is solid and it just comes down to the ISP.

Herzog

somewhat damaged
Admin
Thanks guys.
These are not the responses I expected. I guess because Utopia has always seemed to have a political/negative connotation due to the cities that subsidized it.

That's how it was for quite a while. Sounds like they took cover and ended up making good on their promises after a lot of misdirected funds. I've heard good things for the last couple years.

gijohn40

too poor to wheel... :(
I work for centurylink as a tech. I am sorry you are having billing troubles. When Utopia came to my house to sign me up I looked at their plans and there was a huge sign up fee then a fee for the fiber and then the ISP fee... so 250 plan was going to cost me over $75 a month. I have a 140mb plan with centurylink and only pay 65 a month.
If you qualify for our fiber they have a 1gig for 65 a month price for life with free modem and install. If you're interested send me an email and I will look to see if you qualify. by Nov 1 they plan on having 17k more houses ready for fiber.

SLC97SR5

IDIesel
I will keep it in mind. You were the one that originally turned me on to fiber and straightened me out on what my house was equipped with...thanks again!

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
I work for centurylink as a tech. I am sorry you are having billing troubles. When Utopia came to my house to sign me up I looked at their plans and there was a huge sign up fee then a fee for the fiber and then the ISP fee... so 250 plan was going to cost me over $75 a month. I have a 140mb plan with centurylink and only pay 65 a month.
If you qualify for our fiber they have a 1gig for 65 a month price for life with free modem and install. If you're interested send me an email and I will look to see if you qualify. by Nov 1 they plan on having 17k more houses ready for fiber.

3332 S 725 W in Bountiful.... What's available for fiber?

I Lean

Mbryson's hairdresser
Vendor
I sure wish I had any options for internet at my house. :( My sole option is wireless. (currently through Utah Broadband)

That's fine most of the time, but I'd love to have the option of Xfinity, or anybody's fiber, or really anything.

UNSTUCK

But stuck more often.
I think I better look into my internet. I have xfinity and pay over $100 a month. I think my speed is 5mb? Anyone know what my options are in Magna?

*Edit:
Carl, just saw your post. Wonder why you can't have xfinity? At this price though, you probably don't want it.

nnnnnate

Supporting Member
We were "renting" the utopia fiber connection for $15 a month (promo rate for 2 years, regularly $30 a month) then paid Sumo for the ISP side at another $30 for a 250 MB connection. When we built our house I paid for the fiber install from the curb to my house which was like $2,800 so now all I have to pay is to Sumo for the monthly ISP service.

I was initially really sour on utopia from my time as a Murray City employee. In 2008 they came to each city that had initially signed on and said if they didn't get X in extra funds they were going to shut down and all of the previous investment was going to be wasted. Murray ponied up a lot of money, like over a million bucks. They didn't have the money so everyone department had their budgets slashed. It took years to make up that money. We missed out on planned vehicle replacement, training money, and salary bumps. This totally pissed me off as one would expect. When the lines were first installed in my last neighborhood I was totally anti, but I was also pissed at Comcast and didn't like the options available from CenturyLink. I chatted with a few neighbors who had jumped who said it was crazy fast, cheap relative to the competition, and stable. Eventually I also signed up and immediately appreciated it. I still am not happy with the business model they started with, but thats probably as much a fault of the city leadership who decided to support them as it is Utopia. I see it a "lesser evil" if that makes sense. The biggest thing I like is that your speed is "up to X" typically. That means when nobody else on that line (your whole street or whatever) is using the service you might see that advertised speed. At peak use times though you'll only get a fraction of it. With this utopia i'm paying for 250 and I get 250 regardless of the time of day.

When we started the process of building our current house Utopia was one of the first things I brought up. It hadn't been roughed in when the other utilities went in. I kept pestering the builders since they touted our neighborhood as the "premier development" of all WVC. They would name drop city council and the mayor occasionally so finally when we were in our pre-construction meeting I brought it up again and said since the whole city leadership was so high on the development why didn't they (the builders) call one of them and have them press Utopia into putting in the service. Interestingly enough the next week I got a message that Utopia was in the neighborhood installing lines. :) I don't know if it was coincidence or not but I was pleased to know it was going in.

comingdown

We use utopia and love it. I think we pay around $65 total for 1 gig. I don’t see how anyone with that option that would go with anything else, although we did use century link fiber at a house and were happy with that but I felt like we paid more back then.

I Lean

Mbryson's hairdresser
Vendor
Carl, just saw your post. Wonder why you can't have xfinity? At this price though, you probably don't want it.

My side of the street doesn't have anything other than 1.5 Mb DSL available, and that's super sketchy at best. Comcast exists directly across the street from me, but will not come to my house, or my neighbors to the North. No fiber of any kind.

The field to the East of me has been sold to a developer...so while I'm disappointed to have neighbors, I'm hopeful they will bring some kind of option into that development that I can benefit from.

Kevin B.

Not often wrong. Never quite right.
I think I better look into my internet. I have xfinity and pay over $100 a month. I think my speed is 5mb? Anyone know what my options are in Magna?

*Edit:

I work for CenturyLink and I can't get DSL over 1.5 meg at my house either, the copper in Magna is rotten and they won't invest in replacing it. I'm currently through Comcast which is guess is Xfinity? Something like 50 or 60 meg for $50/month. It's more than we ever use.

Carl, how is UBB out here? I've been thinking about switching, because Comcast won't stop playing games with my bill.

I Lean

Mbryson's hairdresser
Vendor
Carl, how is UBB out here? I've been thinking about switching, because Comcast won't stop playing games with my bill.

Service seems to be pretty consistent, and I've had zero billing or customer service issues. When I've had questions they're responsive and helpful.

$50 for 10 Mb. Quite a bit slower than what I'm hearing other people brag about, but it's available.

gijohn40

too poor to wheel... :(
The field to the East of me has been sold to a developer...so while I'm disappointed to have neighbors, I'm hopeful they will bring some kind of option into that development that I can benefit from.
centurylink is not installing old copper lines anymore so the new development will get fiber.