V8 powerful

moabjeeper

Man Down!!!!
Dont know if anyone going to read this cause all the mineral basin thing but here goes. I got a friend that has a cherokee and needs to replace the engine soon. they are wondering how hard would it be to put a V8 in the place of there inline 6. What adapters and other things do they need and is it possible to fit. How much are they looking at?

Caleb

Along the same lines as what Shawn said...how good are you??? It has been done many times, I am pretty sure that you need to cut out fenderwells and cut/modufy the firewall...so how good are you???:D

onetuff76

Guard Rail Tester
My friend's dad is dropping a northstar V8 in their 86 XJ should be interesting :D lol

I know the 350 is a popular swap in with the XJ's as well.

moabjeeper

Man Down!!!!
Hmmmm
Well i wasnt planning on doing it myself, someone just wanted to know if it would be way more expense then putting a replacement I6 in. Thanks for the replys

bobdog

4x4 Addict!
Advance Adapters offers bolt in motor mounts. The v8 sits lower so the rig must be lifted. With a small cap MSD or similar dist. firewall clearance should be ok. I don't know why we don't see more V8 cherokees it would be too cool to have one.

spencurai

Vanilla Gorilla
is it going to be a trail rig? if it is a dd of even moderate distance to be driven i say replace the I6! i like my 99, it is the first jeep i have owned and it works well. if you want "trail juice" go for it, if you want streetability stick with the I6.
some other things to think about are how much do you like your t-case and tranny. if they are old and tired then go for the swap and get some beef in there. it does not sound like too big of a deal. just think about exhaust routing and maybe some block hugger headers and all the other suggestions of shorty disty should cover everything

Skyetone

Kinda crabby latley
fawkin heeps....
I looked into doing it in a toy (shocker) and it was like 2k in adapter shtuff minus the motor or rebuild on the v-8. What is the point of putting in a tired v-8 (cuz thats what you can afford) for 2000-4000$ when you can beef up what you have NEW for about half. I played with my 4 popper broke it (ooops) and will do the 4 again.
Maybee a heep V-6 would drop in?

bobdog

4x4 Addict!
I really think your friend should look in to the v8. I don't know anybody who has made the swap that wants their I6 back. Streetabillity improves in most cases just stay with a mild cam, in the rocks you may actually like the six better, but sand will put a big smile on your face. It will cost more by the time you are done but the old stuff can be sold to offset the cost. Smog laws are a big problem but people always seem to get tags you just have to be creative.

rustybronco

Flat Land Offroader
Smog laws are going to kill you in the long run. Here's the deal: the V8 has to meet or exceed the I6 emissions standards for the year of the jeep. I6's are pretty clean compared to a V8. So that means newer V8 with fuel injection, maybe. I doubt a 350 TBI would cut it. Ever priced a Vortech? You'd have to find a complete motor donor vehicle. Then are you good with wiring? Talk to the fine folks at Strasburg Machine Shop in Lindon. Tell them Mark Shipton sent you. They're good family friends of ours. They know a lot about getting performance out of a 4.0. Build the 4.0! If you want a V8, buy a Grand. It would be cheaper in the long run.

SuperRunner

Turbo is my middle name
Man, I6's rock. There are ways you can get that motor to push out more power. The I6 just has a much better power band than the v8, and you are less likely to break things(depending on driving style).

Emissions aren't a problem. Motor does not have to meet the same requirements as the year vehicle you put it in.

I put an 88 motor in my 94 4runner. My 4runner came with pulse air injection, my 88 did not. I could not get it passed at the local emission shop, I had to take it to the Department of Air Quality. They ran an emission test, made sure I had all the emission stuff for the 88 Supra motor, and it passed.

I know have a letter from the department that says that the motor that belongs in my 4runner is a 3.0 Inline 6 turbo. Emission requirements are: cat, charcoal canister, and egr valve. Fortunatly these motors run extreamly clean and efficient. An carbed V8 may be a little harder, but still very easily done.

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
Originally posted by SuperRunner
Man, I6's rock. There are ways you can get that motor to push out more power. The I6 just has a much better power band than the v8, and you are less likely to break things(depending on driving style).

Emissions aren't a problem. Motor does not have to meet the same requirements as the year vehicle you put it in.

I put an 88 motor in my 94 4runner. My 4runner came with pulse air injection, my 88 did not. I could not get it passed at the local emission shop, I had to take it to the Department of Air Quality. They ran an emission test, made sure I had all the emission stuff for the 88 Supra motor, and it passed.

I know have a letter from the department that says that the motor that belongs in my 4runner is a 3.0 Inline 6 turbo. Emission requirements are: cat, charcoal canister, and egr valve. Fortunatly these motors run extreamly clean and efficient. An carbed V8 may be a little harder, but still very easily done.

When I swapped the SBC into my CJ, I was told by the County Inspector that any swapped in engine had to be the same year OR newer, for it to be a legal swap. I guess they changed the rule? :confused:

SuperRunner

Turbo is my middle name
County inspector must have not known. The "State" Department of Air Quality could have cared less about the the motor being older.

In fact, they just passed Nate Rosses Xrunner with a 88 7MGTE two weeks ago. Went in 4-5 times before it finally passed. Kept failing because the o2 sensor wire was broken inside the wire harness. Got that fixed and it passed easy.

bobdog

4x4 Addict!
I have been told by many inspectors that in Salt Lake County any engine swap into anything newer than a 81 is illegal. 81s and older have to pass a sniff test and 82s and newer have to pass a visual test as well as a sniff test. If a 81 or older car passes the sniff test it does not matter what engine is in it, but a newer truck must have the original engine or one that was offered stock in that truck. Does anyone know for a fact that an engine swap in SLC is legal? (I would be very interested in this as it would make my yearly inspection process much easier). I can say that my fuel injected 350 is a lot cleaner than the 258 it replaced and passes the sniff test no problem (with no pollution control devices of any kind)

Skyetone

Kinda crabby latley
So the "state" dept. of air are the guys in charge of im. right?
The inspection via state says the vehicle must pass the regs of there year. if I had a 91 chev then the IM must pass the 91 standards. Thats why you can't say throw in a carbed bigblock with dual exaust in a new rig.
You are running a similar motor for IM. Cat, charcol, EFI, ext. so where is the difference in the computers eyes.

bobdog

4x4 Addict!
Is it the state or is it the county? I have been told by several inspectors that there is no legal swap into my 84 jeep. I know the standards are different in each county and not all testing procedures are the same. Most counties don't even test. I am not running any of the smog goodies and run duel exhuast but I would concider it if it would make me legal. What I have read is that the Federal Goverment sets air quality standards and lets the counties come up with a plan to meet them.

Last edited:

SuperRunner

Turbo is my middle name
If it passes the sniffer test, why should it even matter what motor you have. Stupid if you ask me.

Putting a carbed motor in an EFI vehicle is a little more extreame than say my swap. The only difference in mine was the pulse air injection. The motor I have now, actually burns cleaner than the origanal.

For Utah valley, the state inspection is down in Spanish Fork out by the county jail. In salt lake, I have no idea.

If you have any question, I would just take a trip out there and start asking questions.

When I took out my truck, the guy looked it over, I told him what it was, and with only a couple questions about model and year of both motor and vehicle, took it and passed it.

Here is the thing, if I would have put on pulse air injection, they guy at the gas station inspection would have passed me, he failed me for visual and sent me to the bureau.

Good luck