Vacation rental properties

ID Bronco

There is a moratorium on out of state purchases in Island Park.

Seriously, I want a place, always have, but for 2-300K I could rent a place a few times a year, for 30-40 years and have no stress of it. I'm not sure memories have to all be in the same place. I also think it keeps you from trying other places because you feel like you have to use it.

However....I like a place I know is mine and no one else will be nearby (see camping with idiot's around) to ruin my solitude. Island Park will likely mean neighbors within a stones throw on both sides.

ID Bronco

One or two more thoughts. Just tonight my brother called me and asked to borrow my chainsaw, two high lift jacks and my help for a day to replace a log on the deck of his very nice cabin in IP. It has rotted from snow over 5 feet deep in the winter. If he doesn't get it done it will collapse this year under snow load and will ruin the entire deck. In that area the winters are HARSH, so nothing lasts as long as normal. Also I know over 60% of cabins up there will have freezing pipe issues if you even think of keeping the water on more than 4 months a year. Even if you leave the thermostat at 60 degrees all the time.

I went with a friend of mine to a cabin on Thursday. His Grandfather built it and now it has been passed down to he and his brother. It is on a river that I love. I have only heard about this property. As we drove the two hours to it, the story came out. About 15 minutes of great memories and 105 minutes of family drama surrounding it, repairs that have been done and now are in desperate need again. We got there, it's quaint but I'll tell you the family of bats that made a home in the window covers were not happy to see us. The frozen and burst "T" in the water line, mouse poop and other odds and ends didn't look fun at all. This is a very classy, successful person that has this place. That was the ratio of fun, vs work.

Just two things in two days that I experienced.

Now I need to look for property to park my trailer on.

Gravy

Ant Anstead of Dirtbikes
Supporting Member
I'm buying a piece of property.
The key thing I noticed from all your comments is "it needs to be close enough to visit often so you can enjoy it." So my requirement was it must be under an hour to get there (45 mins).
Plan is to build a cabin on it, but since 'the rona' banks don't look kindly on lending to small business owners who don't allow themselves to be over taxed.

So I bought a trailer to stick up there for now. To enjoy the place while I'm saving up for the cabin.
IMG_20200809_205409.jpg

I'd like to rent out some space to folks who'd like to store their boats by the lake as a rental income.

nnnnnate

Supporting Member
I'm buying a piece of property.
The key thing I noticed from all your comments is "it needs to be close enough to visit often so you can enjoy it." So my requirement was it must be under an hour to get there (45 mins).
Plan is to build a cabin on it, but since 'the rona' banks don't look kindly on lending to small business owners who don't allow themselves to be over taxed.

So I bought a trailer to stick up there for now. To enjoy the place while I'm saving up for the cabin.
View attachment 129949

I'd like to rent out some space to folks who'd like to store their boats by the lake as a rental income.
Where is the property?

Kevin B.

Not often wrong. Never quite right.
So how much work is a trailer, though? I imagine that a travel trailer that gets lots of dirt road time probably is a time sink too?

TRD270

Emptying Pockets Again
Supporting Member
So how much work is a trailer, though? I imagine that a travel trailer that gets lots of dirt road time probably is a time sink too?

Friend of mine has a patch of land out in Narnia, instead of building a cabin. He poured a concrete slab, put septic tank in and parked a travel trailer on it. Only moves it if it requires maintenance he can’t take care of on site. Otherwise it just lives there so minimal traffic on the trailer.

dutchman

KI7KSV

Ours hasn’t been too much of a time sink. It’s the unpacking and dumping the trailer that seems to take the most time. We do save time by keeping the trailer stocked with as much as possible once we get it out of storage for the winter.

moab_cj5

Supporting Member
Friend of mine has a patch of land out in Narnia, instead of building a cabin. He poured a concrete slab, put septic tank in and parked a travel trailer on it. Only moves it if it requires maintenance he can’t take care of on site. Otherwise it just lives there so minimal traffic on the trailer.
I think a concrete pad, and maybe a leanto or other shelter tall enough to cover/house a trailer would be great. A septic tank would be awesome! If the trailer was to get too worn out, buy a new one to park there. If you decide to go somewhere else once in a while, grab the trailer and go. All the comforts of camp in one easy package...

Cabin's are cool, neat, sentimental, and all that. For me they really need monthly use to be worth it. And, for me, there has to be something to do beside work on the damn thing to enjoy it. Our property isn't far from fishing and dirt roads, so there are activities open to us when we don't want to just sit around the property.

N-Smooth

Smooth Gang Founding Member
I think a concrete pad, and maybe a leanto or other shelter tall enough to cover/house a trailer would be great. A septic tank would be awesome! If the trailer was to get too worn out, buy a new one to park there. If you decide to go somewhere else once in a while, grab the trailer and go. All the comforts of camp in one easy package...

I'd do that and add a shipping container too. It would be nice to have the ability to keep large items on site without having to put them in the trailer.

That's my dream at least...

jeeper

DumpStor Owner

I’d venture to say that my campers tend to get a bit more dirt road than many many other campers.
we have had little or no issues related to the dirt road miles.
gravys trailer is at a price range where he can keep it for a number of years and have very little loss in value. And it’s still significantly less to repair or replace than a home or cabin.
I think the miles is a much lower risk than the theft and vandalism of keeping it on the property.

Gravy

Ant Anstead of Dirtbikes
Supporting Member
I agree wholeheartedly Brian. If my property wasn't next door to my friend's house; who lives there full time, I'd be worried.
Perc test came back the rate is 6.09 minutes per inch. So I should be good on a conventional system.
I'm told 5 minutes per inch is the bottom.

I cleared and flattened a spot with a excavator but I wonder if there's anything else I should do to keep critters out?