Jeep vacuum disconnect by pass options

krany

kranberry
my vacuum disconnect decided to have its hoses rust up and quite working. so i need to find a way to bypass it. i want it to be selectable if possible, iam locked in the front but with the vac disconnect stuck in the unlocked position its nice to drive around on the road like this( basically unlocked.) the options i know of to fix this problem are:
posi-lok which is 214 bucks.
straight shaft from junk yard but is not selectable under 50.
shim the fork over to locked...5 bucks in washers.
i really like the posi lok idea but 214+ s&h is allot. is it possible to modify the stock vacuum disconnect and add a lever? my thoughts on this is cut a slit in the top and weld lever to the fork and make a lawn mower style shift gate. custom cable operated system will be tricky, i know when i setup my disk brakes on my bike figuring out cavle lengths to where there wasnt any play was tough and took a long time to perfect, still kinda am figuring it out. can any one help me think of some alternate options to a selectable front?

Will3161

Short of manual hubs, I think you're stuck with either posi lock or vacuum disconnect. If you drive on the street, I wouldn't leave it connected with a locker. I really would like manual hubs for mine, but since I don't have a locker, I just shimmed it. But, if posi lock is 240, maybe hubs would be worth it to you...but, if you go to cherokeeforum.com, and look in the tech write up section (you may have to search) someone came up with a homemade posi lock for $40 or so using parts from NAPA. Also, if you search on this forum, for "XJ 4wd issues" I had a problem with my vacuum disco, and someone mentioned using a kit for a semi truck that was cheaper than posi lock.

Robert T

Skull Designs Euros
What type of jeep is it on, if it is a yj I have a vacuum line assembly that you can have. it off a 88, its located in Salem just south of Spanish Fork

krany

kranberry
Short of manual hubs, I think you're stuck with either posi lock or vacuum disconnect. If you drive on the street, I wouldn't leave it connected with a locker. I really would like manual hubs for mine, but since I don't have a locker, I just shimmed it. But, if posi lock is 240, maybe hubs would be worth it to you...but, if you go to cherokeeforum.com, and look in the tech write up section (you may have to search) someone came up with a homemade posi lock for $40 or so using parts from NAPA. Also, if you search on this forum, for "XJ 4wd issues" I had a problem with my vacuum disco, and someone mentioned using a kit for a semi truck that was cheaper than posi lock.
hmm i will to go and look for it.
What type of jeep is it on, if it is a yj I have a vacuum line assembly that you can have. it off a 88, its located in Salem just south of Spanish Fork
its an xj BUT the axle is the same, dana 30.

outlaw_offroad

XJ Pride!!!
As long as the diaphram on the actuator is still good, you can use a Jake Brake switch. Bought one a Cummins for a friends rig for less than $20.

If I were in your position, I would do the long shaft swap. When you break the inner shaft on the disconnect side, it is a real pain in the a$$ to fix. Most people won't attempt it on the trail (have to pull carrier). If you decide to put in the long shaft, remember to add the seal at the carrier.

Robert T

Skull Designs Euros
its an xj BUT the axle is the same, dana 30.[/QUOTE]

If you want it to try, its yours just give me a call 801-362-0725

Tan Comanche

Desert Speed Shock Tuning
On mine I simply split the vacuum actuator in half, cut the diaphragm off and welded on a short piece of 1/4" round rod. Now to engage/disengage i push/pull the CAD shaft. 4x never pops out, rolls nice on the street and cost nothing.

krany

kranberry
On mine I simply split the vacuum actuator in half, cut the diaphragm off and welded on a short piece of 1/4" round rod. Now to engage/disengage i push/pull the CAD shaft. 4x never pops out, rolls nice on the street and cost nothing.
so its selectable? how do you lock it? ...........if only i had a welder:rofl: