veggie fuel

ryan iverson

parts collector
ok is anyone running veggie oil for fuel or mixing? i am wondering because im buying a diesel and i know some people run filtered veggie oil instead of diesel to cut costs. any info from anyone would be great thanks in advance !

waynehartwig

www.jeeperman.com
There is a company up here that sells veggie oil as diesel, I don't recall the name though.. I know where they are located :D Hope that helps! lol

zukgod1

Senior crawler
Sounds like you are wanting to run straight vegi oil instead of making Bio?

That's the route I'm going. 124 mile a day commute is killing me.

I looked into bio, as a matter a fact I looked at it for a good 2 years and decided reg vegi oil made more sense to me.

I was going to just build a kit but I think I would rather buy one engineered to function correctly, not to mention a couple of vendors have the auto option that automatically switches to vegi oil when the oil temp reaches the desired temp.

ryan iverson

parts collector
Sounds like you are wanting to run straight vegi oil instead of making Bio?

That's the route I'm going. 124 mile a day commute is killing me.

I looked into bio, as a matter a fact I looked at it for a good 2 years and decided reg vegi oil made more sense to me.

I was going to just build a kit but I think I would rather buy one engineered to function correctly, not to mention a couple of vendors have the auto option that automatically switches to vegi oil when the oil temp reaches the desired temp.

what truck are you going to run it in ? so your going to start on diesel and shut down on diesel correct ? after hitting operating temp switch to clean veggie oil ?

zukgod1

Senior crawler
No truck, it's a VW Jetta.
Ya start and shut down on diesel and run on oil once it gets to temp.
That's one reason I wan to use a "Kit" instead of building one. Less thinking required on my part

zukgod1

Senior crawler
ya but at damn near $5. pr gallon now how long would it take to get that back?

I figure my kit will be 2k and it will be paid for in 5 months and that's driving a 40 mpg VW not a 12mpg stroke

zukgod1

Senior crawler
Nothing but my time.

I'm making a simple one barrel (may end up two) dewatering/ filtering system for the raw product.
I have a little 5x8 flat bed trailer and I'm going to install a 100 gal diesel tank I have on it. I will mount a 12V transfer pump I have as well so I can suck it from the holding tank (or where ever the restaurants tell me to) into my tank then use the same pump to transfer it from that tank to my dewatering system then into my car.

lewis

Fight Till You Die
My pops was looking into it until I talked to a powerstroke mechanic and he said not use it in the newer trucks. He said he has seen quite a few times that all the injectors get clogged and they all have to be replaced without a warranty due to biofuel.

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
Nothing but my time.

I'm making a simple one barrel (may end up two) dewatering/ filtering system for the raw product.
I have a little 5x8 flat bed trailer and I'm going to install a 100 gal diesel tank I have on it. I will mount a 12V transfer pump I have as well so I can suck it from the holding tank (or where ever the restaurants tell me to) into my tank then use the same pump to transfer it from that tank to my dewatering system then into my car.

Do you have a restaurant lined up? They are giving it to you for free? Seems the going rate on WVO is ~$2/gallon. I have no doubt some places still give it away for free or you might have freinds in the business... but for newbies getting into it a bit late, the sources are drying up. Its never been "waste" as the name would have you beleive, it gets recycled and used for fuel and animal food products. Assuming there is a big influx in WVO not making it back to the collectors, I beleive they will have no choice but to collect a "core charge" in the new VO they drop off.

zukgod1

Senior crawler
My pops was looking into it until I talked to a powerstroke mechanic and he said not use it in the newer trucks. He said he has seen quite a few times that all the injectors get clogged and they all have to be replaced without a warranty due to biofuel.

This is true is the oil isn't at the proper temp before it hits the injectors.

There are a couple kits I that heat the oil a second time just before it enters the IP, I suspect the mechanic you mentioned was dealing with either improperly (not hot enough) heated oil or bio diesel that wasn't brewed properly.
There are hundreds of people out there running vegi in the strokes as well as other trucks.
For my use it will be perfect.

zukgod1

Senior crawler
Do you have a restaurant lined up? They are giving it to you for free? Seems the going rate on WVO is ~$2/gallon. I have no doubt some places still give it away for free or you might have freinds in the business... but for newbies getting into it a bit late, the sources are drying up. Its never been "waste" as the name would have you beleive, it gets recycled and used for fuel and animal food products. Assuming there is a big influx in WVO not making it back to the collectors, I beleive they will have no choice but to collect a "core charge" in the new VO they drop off.

I know a couple restaurant owners locally so I think I'll be ok.
I will however make sure I have sufficient supply before I go spending a wad of cash on anything, so far what I have I have from other endeavors.

zukgod1

Senior crawler
Cool, sounds like your set :cool:

I hope so Kurt, the way things are going right now I am seriously going to have to quit my job and get something closer to Payson.

In the past 120 days my yearly fuel costs (just for work) have gone up $3500.00 pr year. I got a 2% raise this year. So in reality I took a $2600.00 hit in wages due to the rising cost of fuel.

Hell I sold my Cummins, I sold my Cadi I sold my damn jeep because I had to sell my tow rig and am now driving a 1990 VW Jetta Diesel.

This sucks, I want my Dodge back!!
I want my Jeep back!!

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
I hope so Kurt, the way things are going right now I am seriously going to have to quit my job and get something closer to Payson.

Keep us posted... I know it can work if the stars align. Dieselcruiserhead and clan have been running bio for 4-5 years now, once you get over the initial hurdle I think it goes pretty smooth.

zukgod1

Senior crawler
Keep us posted... I know it can work if the stars align. Dieselcruiserhead and clan have been running bio for 4-5 years now, once you get over the initial hurdle I think it goes pretty smooth.

Damn I wish I would have known.

I wouldn't mind building a processor but I'm a picture/ hands on guy and need to lean the process 1st hand. I've read it hundreds of times but I just don't have the brain to do it. Can do damn near anything if I can see it done though.
If you wouldn't mind could I watch next time you brew?
I would love to see it in process and the steps.