Vehicle First Aid Kits?

denhabr

First Aid Kits...

What do you guys carry in your rigs? My EMT Basic Cert just came in the mail and it got me thinking that i dont have a First Aid Kit in my Jeep :confused:

Devel,

I actually carry my old EMT kit in my car, and will eventually carry it or a backup kit in my Bronco. Back in the day (late 80's/early 90's), I served on a semi-rural volunteer ambulance corps in upstate NY. I started like you did, and worked my way up to EMT-D ('Defibrillator,' back in the day when AED's were the latest rage on the rigs...and now you see them everywhere.)

As far as equipment/kit:
  • I still have my old EMT 'holster' holding my many bandage scissors, EMT scissors, penlight, Leatherman tool, hemostats, roll of silk bandage tape, and velcro tourniquet.
  • Attached to my holster is my stethoscope.
  • My old school Flambeau 19060 'tackle box' has a lot of what I scavenged from my New York State 1st responder and EMT courses. This includes insertable airways, a few stray c-collars, a LOT of cravats, 2x2s, 4x4s, rolls and rolls of cling, bandage tape, misc. trauma bandages of various sizes, my BP cuff, CPR mask and valve, and of course, a boat-load of latex gloves!
Other stuff I've added since that time include the non-emergency items like a bottle of Advil, alcohol wipes, zip-loc baggies (for various loose body parts,) Bacitracin, Ipecac, tampons (for shoving in open wounds...amazing how they help blood flow!), a roll of quarters to make an emergency 911 phone call, ammonia smelling salts, chapstick, a small bottle of suntan lotion, vaseline-impregnated gauze (sucking chest wounds,) sterile ophthalmic irrigating solution (sterile water for washing out eyes...), a handful of rubber bands, wooden tongue depressors, matches, safety pins...and the list goes on.

Remember, you are just BLS out there so can't be doing the high-end ALS stuff (unless they teach that sort of thing to Basic EMT's these days?) so building a kit that allows you to focus on the airway, breathing, circulation, and keeping track of the vital signs until help comes (or you can stabilize them for transport to a medical facility,) you are probably set.

I was thinking that at some point (seeing my Bronco is getting closer to being done: http://www.rockymountainextreme.com/showthread.php?t=64726) ...and I'll have the room to store it, I may invest in some inflatable splints, a backboard/straps, and a full set of c-collars. Someday...

My $0.02 worth anyway... :-\

Devel

Just an Outlaw....
Here is my Scope of Practice for now, im going for my EMT Intermediate class in January then off to the fire academy

1. During training, while at the scene of an emergency, and during
transport of sick or injured, or during interfacility transfer, a
supervised EMT trainee or certified EMT is authorized to do any of
the following:

A. Evaluate the ill and injured.

B. Render basic life support, rescue and first aid to patients.

C. Obtain diagnostic signs including temperature, blood
pressure, pulse and respiration rates, level of
consciousness, and pupil status.

D. Perform cardiopulmonary resuscitation, including the use of mechanical adjuncts to basic cardiopulmonary resuscitation.

E. Use the following adjunctive airway breathing aids
i. Oropharyngeal airway
ii. Nasopharyngeal airway
iii. Combi-tube airway
iv. Suction devices
v. Basic oxygen delivery devices
vi. Manual and mechanical ventilating devices designed
for prehospital use

F. Use various types of stretchers and body immobilization devices.

G. Provide initial pre-hospital emergency care of trauma.

H. Perform basic field triage.

I. Perform blood glucose testing

J. Initiate and monitor peripheral lines delivering intravenous normal
saline solution without medication.

K. Initiate and monitor saline locks

L. Administer the following medications as outlined in the current
protocols
i. Albuterol sulfate nebulizer
ii. Epinephrine 1:1,000 autoinjector
iii. Low-dose aspirin (81mg)
iv. Narcan IM
v. Assist with Nitroglycerin
vi. Oral glucose
vii. Oral charcoal
viii. Oxygen

M. Assist an EMT-I and/or an EMT-P in the pretreatment set up for
ALS procedures.

N. Manage patients within their scope of practice.

O. Transport patients.

DOSS

Poker of the Hornets Nest
Just snag a suture set the next time you are left alone for 30 minutes at the doctors office.. or if you have a friend who's wife is having a kid have him grab some while they are waiting for it to pop out (that's what I did to get mine, don't need lydocaine (sp) if it is an emergency just tell the person to shut up and deal)

waynehartwig

www.jeeperman.com
Just snag a suture set the next time you are left alone for 30 minutes at the doctors office.. or if you have a friend who's wife is having a kid have him grab some while they are waiting for it to pop out (that's what I did to get mine, don't need lydocaine (sp) if it is an emergency just tell the person to shut up and deal)

:rofl: Exactly!

ID Bronco

I guess I haven't looked around enough while at the doctor's office. :rofl::rofl:

I agree with the sucking it up, but lytocaine would be sweet. I have sewn (sp) lots of cows and they didn't mind too much.

waynehartwig

www.jeeperman.com
I guess I haven't looked around enough while at the doctor's office. :rofl::rofl:

I agree with the sucking it up, but lytocaine would be sweet. I have sewn (sp) lots of cows and they didn't mind too much.

You mean you just sit there and wait for 45 minutes? Ther'es a reason Dr's are locking drawers anymore :D