Vehicle Recovery Training

Team1k

I used the search function on here and found some basic tips on vehicle recovery, however im looking for a little more detailed info. Lately ive been seeing some pretty sketchy methods being used in vehicle recovery while ive been out on the trails. This has prompted me to start looking into options for recovery training that I can get my club involved in(they aren't the ones being sketchy, just figure its a good idea) It seems like there is some training done during the quarterly training activity, in the mean time though im wondering if there are any videos I could purchase that may cover vehicle recovery that I can show to the club. Ive done a brief search on youtube and didn't find much, but I may not have been searching the right terms.

Any info is much appreciated. Thanks!

Tonkaman

I'd actually love to do a recovery course of some kind. All of my knowledge is theoretical without any hands on experience. I know we do these at quarterly training days but maybe we could get a group together just for this ?

hoosier

mtn yot
I have a few friends that do the training for vech recovery for the air force and army, i could speak with them and see if they cant come out and help. Their training deals a lot with, mud, sketchy situations (cliff edge, possible roll) and multi and single vech recovery. Like i said it is military based but i would imagine they can adapt it to most of our smaller vech. I will email them today and let me know if it sounds like what you are looking for and i can get an idea of how many people.

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
I'd be interested in helping and/or learning.

The recovery classes we have done at the Quarterly Training events have been more intro and theory based, less practical application. We were somewhat limited in practical application for several factors at the MMP (liability being one) but I think we could find a location suitable for a more in depth class.

Kevin B.

Not often wrong. Never quite right.
Anybody got a roller ready for scrap? It'd be fun to spend a day flopping it and rolling it and tumbling it down cliffs and practicing different recoveries on it - winching and propping with hilifts and jacks, winching at funny angles, winching with multiple trucks, etc.

I loved Bretts presentation at the last QTD, and a continuation of that would be awesome.

Troop92

Anybody got a roller ready for scrap? It'd be fun to spend a day flopping it and rolling it and tumbling it down cliffs and practicing different recoveries on it - winching and propping with hilifts and jacks, winching at funny angles, winching with multiple trucks, etc.

sawtooth4x4 is getting ready to scrap an older Volvo that he got to fix and found it was too much trouble....

.... I think we could find a location suitable for a more in depth class.

why not out west desert by Lone Rock? drained of fluids, we wouldn't be doing too much damage to anything...

Last edited:

Team1k

Thanks everyone for the responses so far and the links. I did read through that thread but it seemed to mainly cover winching technique. I was kind of hoping for a video that starts out showing different types of recovery items(tree saver, snatch strap vs tow strap, snatch block, etc....), explains what they are usually used for, proper technique for use, and then it would be awesome if it had either some real footage of it in use, or even some animated/cgi stuff. Perhaps ill have to make one but I hardly consider myself an expert.

I have a few friends that do the training for vech recovery for the air force and army, i could speak with them and see if they cant come out and help. Their training deals a lot with, mud, sketchy situations (cliff edge, possible roll) and multi and single vech recovery. Like i said it is military based but i would imagine they can adapt it to most of our smaller vech. I will email them today and let me know if it sounds like what you are looking for and i can get an idea of how many people.

That would be great! I would think 7-10 from my club would attend depending on the date/time/location. Sounds like there is lots of interest on here as well.

Kevin B.

Not often wrong. Never quite right.
sawtooth4x4 is getting ready to scrap an older Volvo that he got to fix and found it was too much trouble....

Yeah, and if he donates it to the cause then he doesn't have to take it to scrap tomorrow and can go wheeling with you guys instead. :)

pkrfctr

Id be willing to help. Been involved in dozens of roll recoveries. One area i think would be good to cover is post recovery;cleanup hydrolock ect....

nnnnnate

Supporting Member
A little late to this but after I bought my CJ7 last march my buddy gave me a couple dvd's he had from Bill Burke and told me to watch them. The one I thought was more interesting albeit basic was called "Getting Unstuck." It was good for me to watch and I did learn from it. My friend says that Bill is a wizard, he was military and was charged with getting tanks unstuck and went on to participating in some Camel Trophy events. He is a bit corny but had good information to provide.

Link to Getting Unstuck
http://www.4x4books.com/bbgus.htm

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
Bill Burke is a well known expert in the field and offers personalized training for those seeking some real intense and intimate hands on training. I've got some copies of his videos here that folks would be welcome to borrow.