vernal jobs?

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
That's what Spence told me yesterday in an email, Vernal isn't looking too hot for jobs anymore.

There's lots of oil field work down this way Darwin, Grand Junction is base for most of the companies that are drilling around Rifle.

Darwin

GREASE MONKEY
thats no good man! what are you doing now? i'm standing around in a european car shop that only has one car in it :rolleyes: i need to find a job badly!

Darwin

GREASE MONKEY
That's what Spence told me yesterday in an email, Vernal isn't looking too hot for jobs anymore.

There's lots of oil field work down this way Darwin, Grand Junction is base for most of the companies that are drilling around Rifle.

are they skilled jobs or something a automotive mechanic can get into?

Greg

Admin
thats no good man! what are you doing now? i'm standing around in a european car shop that only has one car in it :rolleyes: i need to find a job badly!

Me? I'm doing nothing... :rofl: I got laid off from the railroad in Oct. I'll be back to work around Feb/March, but for now I'm just enjoying the time off.

I was trying to put together a trucking company hauling waste water from Rifle to Cisco, but I'm not sure I want to go out and buy $120k worth of truck and trailer in this economy. I don't know what the next year holds for natural gas production out here and after hearing about Vernal, I'm kind of worried.

You know... some of the companies out here will work you 12 days on, then 8 off. Or something like that. Good hourly wage plus Per diem, flights out to the area you're working covered by the company, etc.

http://www.halliburton.com/careers/

http://www.nabors.com/Public/index.asp

http://www.bjservices.com/

http://www.fractech.net/careers/index.htm

Those are just a few of the big names.

Tacoma

Et incurventur ante non
There really isn't much "skilled" work in the oil field. :D If you can walk and breathe at the same time, you can do SOMETHING out there. You'll be fine. Roughnecking pays pretty well, but it can be UNFUN in the snow/rain. A couple of the crews I worked with were telling me they got like $27/hr to start out.

I'm trying to go work at the Depot here, or for EG&G. :ugh:

Greg

Admin
are they skilled jobs or something a automotive mechanic can get into?

Most of the companies will train you for the work they need, they're not really 'skilled jobs'. Having your mechanical background will help a lot. You know your way around tools, know how to work safe, etc. You don't happen to have a CDL, do you? That's huge if you want a job, but most companies will send you to school to get your CDL. They want guys that can drive a big rig out to a site, then set it up and run it.

Darwin

GREASE MONKEY
i've been enjoying some time off too. i haven't done much in the way of work since i tried moving to st george :rofl: thanks for the info greg!

Darwin

GREASE MONKEY
i'm sure i can handle the weather conditions. it would be nice to get around and travel a bit too. i'm pretty bored with hanging out in a shop all day. i'm thinking adventure work :D

Greg

Admin
i'm sure i can handle the weather conditions. it would be nice to get around and travel a bit too. i'm pretty bored with hanging out in a shop all day. i'm thinking adventure work :D

That's what I did last year... I was all over. Iowa, Wisconsin, Chicago Ill, Nevada (Elko & Vegas), Utah, Arizona, California. It was fun for awhile, but all the driving got old. You'd probably be more stable in the drilling industry and they'd probably fly you to your destination. That would be liveable.

You could always be a contractor in Saudi Arabia... :eek: They to make killer money. And you might die. :ugh:

Darwin

GREASE MONKEY
i just submitted an application at halliburton's website. thanks for the links greg! grand junction would't be bad its near moab. i haven't had my new jeep there yet.

Tacoma

Et incurventur ante non
hahah I was just thinking the same thing-- "hmmmmm that's about as far away as Wamsutter WY, and I could go to MOAB!!!!"

Maybe I'll stick around the oilfield..... Hmm.

Greg

Admin
i just submitted an application at halliburton's website. thanks for the links greg! grand junction would't be bad its near moab. i haven't had my new jeep there yet.

No problem Darwin! I know they're hiring like crazy, you get lots of overtime with Halliburton. Some of those guys work 8 on, 3 off. Not too bad.

hahah I was just thinking the same thing-- "hmmmmm that's about as far away as Wamsutter WY, and I could go to MOAB!!!!"

There you go! You already have some good experience, might as well keep working in the same industry.

Darwin

GREASE MONKEY

you should do it man :greg: grand junction has some good wheeling too! i've never done 21 road

benjy

Rarely wrenches
Supporting Member
You could always be a contractor in Saudi Arabia... :eek: They to make killer money. And you might die. :ugh:

I've got an Uncle in Saudi... more in the business side of things. He has some weird stories... been over there 5 years and is planning another 5 :eek: Lots of money, but the idea of buying a sail boat and learning to sail just in case things get "ugly" doesn't sound appealing to me :sick:

Greg

Admin
I've got an Uncle in Saudi... more in the business side of things. He has some weird stories... been over there 5 years and is planning another 5 :eek: Lots of money, but the idea of buying a sail boat and learning to sail just in case things get "ugly" doesn't sound appealing to me :sick:

Hey, you always need a 'back door' escape plan! :rofl: The business side is probably safer, but how much?

Yeah, that's not for me. I know a guy that went over there to drive truck. He got out of there after nearly being killed after their convoy was attacked. Amazing story, changed his life and he was nearly in tears when he'd share it.

Darwin

GREASE MONKEY
Greg said:
Yeah, that's not for me. I know a guy that went over there to drive truck. He got out of there after nearly being killed after their convoy was attacked. Amazing story, changed his life and he was nearly in tears when he'd share it.

extreme is just much better when its for fun i'm thinking :D