Vintage plates - renewal question

I registered 3 vehicles with vintage plates in June of this year (two motorcycles and truck). I had no issues with the initial registration - I just went in, asked for vintage plates for the vehicles, and walked out with vintage plates. I did not have any of the three inspected before getting the registration.

However, one of the motorcycles came due in October 2015. When I got the renewal, it stated that safety was required, both on the renewal card that was mailed and on the Utah DMV website. I went in to the Tooele DMV and asked about it, and the lady insisted that only vintage vehicles 40 years and older are exempt from safety, but vehicles 30-40 years old still require it.

I asked her if that was the case, why was I able to register all 3 of them without a safety inspection earlier this year, and she said that someone must have made a mistake. I am pretty sure her information is outdated and that 30 years and older are now exempt from safety inspections, but there's no point arguing with a DMV employee.

Has anyone else with vintage vehicles had an issue like this, where they were able to register as vintage, but then at renewal had to get an inspection? Didn't the law change in the last couple years that exempts vehicles 30 years and older from inspections, not just vehicles 40 years and older?

Thanks,

Allan

jeeper

DumpStor Owner
I registered my 30-40 yr truck without a safety, but the DMV screwed up. The law says 40 and older don't need safety, 30-40 do. The guy at the counter couldn't do math, counted the years twice, then said "I think it's old enough". I didn't argue and got my plates :)

sawtooth4x4

Totally Awesome
To get Vintage plates you have to bring in your last inspection. It has to have been done within the last year. After it is registered keep the safety inspection in the car and you never have to worry about an inspection again.

Or you can do like I do, get a Montana address, and register your vehicle with permanent plates after it is 10 years old and never worry about registration or fees ever again.

jeeper

DumpStor Owner
Or you can do like I do, get a Montana address, and register your vehicle with permanent plates after it is 10 years old and never worry about registration or fees ever again.

I looked into this a while back, and couldn't find this law. I've heard about it, but can't find it.. and all Montana plates that I have seen around here do expire. I would be VERY interested in learning more...
I'm even somewhat hopeful to buy a piece of land in Montana someday..

bobdog

4x4 Addict!
Last year I researched this quite a bit. I found nothing in the law that says anything other than vintage vehicles are exempt from inspection period. The only difference between 30 and 40 year old vehicles is the taxes and fees. I was told at the DMV I needed an inspection and then was given plates and tags without one which made no sense to me. This year the renewal came and it did not require inspection. I think the DMV needs to actually read the law and follow it. I am a little bit concerned that a renewal notice has been sent requiring inspection. I hope something has not changed.

Bart

The last time I looked, which was last year, I read that 30 - 40 still needed inspection, but 40 and over didn't. Can't remember where I read it, but that's why my Jeep is now a 76 CJ7, or at least will be the next time it's licensed.

Marsh99

Lover of all things Toyota
I just renewed my 1977 FJ40 no inspections were required, but I expected to pay 17$ for renewal and was charged 76$. I questioned the lady and she said it was the right price.

sawtooth4x4

Totally Awesome
The vehicle has to be 10 years old. Then you can ask for permanent plates. You pay your fee (about $250 -300) and then you get a new tag that says PERM. I use my mothers address. I've been doing it for a number of years.

https://dojmt.gov/driving/vehicle-title-and-registration/

Montana residents moving to another county may continue to use their current plates until their annual registration renewal is due. The current registration and plates remain active until the registration expires. At that time, the customer needs to renew their vehicle registration and update their address with their new county treasurer’s office. Those with permanently-registered vehicles do not have to take any registration action.

I looked into this a while back, and couldn't find this law. I've heard about it, but can't find it.. and all Montana plates that I have seen around here do expire. I would be VERY interested in learning more...
I'm even somewhat hopeful to buy a piece of land in Montana someday..

sawtooth4x4

Totally Awesome
The Ogden DMV didn't give me any crap when I registered my 1984 BMW 733i as a vintage. It had an inspection with emissions less than a year old. I just paid my fee and left with my plates. She told me to keep the inspection in the car with the registration stuff. I'd never need to do one again as long as I kept the registration valid.

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
Not from some dude on the internet ;)

This plate identifies a vehicle at least 30 years old, is primarily a collector's item, and used for participation in club activities, exhibitions, tours, parades, occasional transportation and similar uses, but is not used for general daily transportation. This plate may be personalized with up to 5 alphanumeric characters by submitting TC-817, Application for Personalized and Replacement License Plates with the required personalization fee. A vintage vehicle, as defined in Utah Code 41-21-1, qualifies for an exemption from safety and emission inspections.

Requirements:

$15 Special Plate Fee
No Annual Contribution
$4 Postage and Handling
Identifiable into one of two categories:
30 year vintage vehicles: 30-39 years old
40 year vintage vehicles: 40 years and older

Source: Utah State Gov DMV Site: http://dmv.utah.gov/plates/special-group#vintagevehicle

Furthermore, the actual law(s) that is the backbone of the above policy:
http://le.utah.gov/UtahCode/section.jsp?code=41-21
http://le.utah.gov/xcode/Title41/Chapter1a/41-1a-S226.html

As for registering with out of state plates, that is in fact illegal. If you spend 6 months of your year living in Utah, you have 60 days to transfer title and registration to Utah after purchasing a new vehicle.

"Utah law requires you to register your vehicle in Utah within 60 days if you:

have established a permanent home for yourself and your family in this state;
live in Utah, continuously or non-continuously, for a total of six months, regardless of having a permanent residence in another state;
engage in a trade, profession or occupation in Utah, or accept other than seasonal work in Utah, and you do not commute into the state;
declare yourself a resident of Utah to obtain privileges not ordinarily extended to nonresidents, including going to school, enrolling your children in local schools without paying nonresident tuition or fees; or purchasing resident hunting or fishing licenses;
obtain a Utah driver license."

Exemptions to that would be students (full-time student paying non-resident tuition) , military (active duty) and some qualifying non-residents.
Source: http://dmv.utah.gov/register/nonresidents

Last edited:

jeeper

DumpStor Owner
Not from some dude on the internet ;)

This plate identifies a vehicle at least 30 years old, is primarily a collector's item, and used for participation in club activities, exhibitions, tours, parades, occasional transportation and similar uses, but is not used for general daily transportation. This plate may be personalized with up to 5 alphanumeric characters by submitting TC-817, Application for Personalized and Replacement License Plates with the required personalization fee. A vintage vehicle, as defined in Utah Code 41-21-1, qualifies for an exemption from safety and emission inspections.

Requirements:

$15 Special Plate Fee
No Annual Contribution
$4 Postage and Handling
Identifiable into one of two categories:
30 year vintage vehicles: 30-39 years old
40 year vintage vehicles: 40 years and older

Source: Utah State Gov DMV Site: http://dmv.utah.gov/plates/special-group#vintagevehicle

Furthermore, the actual law(s) that is the backbone of the above policy:
http://le.utah.gov/UtahCode/section.jsp?code=41-21
http://le.utah.gov/xcode/Title41/Chapter1a/41-1a-S226.html

As for registering with out of state plates, that is in fact illegal. If you spend 6 months of your year living in Utah, you have 60 days to transfer title and registration to Utah after purchasing a new vehicle.

"Utah law requires you to register your vehicle in Utah within 60 days if you:

have established a permanent home for yourself and your family in this state;
live in Utah, continuously or non-continuously, for a total of six months, regardless of having a permanent residence in another state;
engage in a trade, profession or occupation in Utah, or accept other than seasonal work in Utah, and you do not commute into the state;
declare yourself a resident of Utah to obtain privileges not ordinarily extended to nonresidents, including going to school, enrolling your children in local schools without paying nonresident tuition or fees; or purchasing resident hunting or fishing licenses;
obtain a Utah driver license."

Exemptions to that would be students (full-time student paying non-resident tuition) , military (active duty) and some qualifying non-residents.
Source: http://dmv.utah.gov/register/nonresidents

Way to ruin a perfectly good argument, Kurt. ;)

But that does mean I can register my old truck again with a safety :) Retro Ramble, here I come!

Brad J

I had Vintage Plates on my 1970 Scout when I had it. I swear that it originally had listed on the first few renewals that Safety & Emissions was required. It could be that the Inspection Place wanted the extra $ for doing both. It seems like it then changed to only requiring Safety. I found my 2012 Renewal & it does not list any text to the right of the red arrows just like my trailer renewal. On the 2014 & it states "Emission compliance certificate is not required" & "Safety inspection certificate is not required this year" to the right of the red arrows. The renewal for it in 2014 was $20 in Davis County. This Years Registration changed to a postcard & it states Safety:Not Required, Emissions:Not Required & was $20 to renew. I think that some of the DMV staff are not familiar with Vintage Plates.

Ashcat

I followed just about every link on the LE website and didn't see anything about providing prior (current) safety inspections or the need for one to be completed before applying for Vintage plates, 30-39 or 40+.

Regarding Tooele DMV, don't deal with the crabby old lady that sits on the right, deal with the friendlier 2 that you see directly in front of you as you walk in. The old hag is impossible to deal with, period. The other 2 will answer your questions and last week I asked about Vintage plates for my 77 F150 and what is required concerning documentation. Her answer was title and proof of address, be sure to ask for Vintage when applying. She also added that I do not need current registration either. Insurance as we all know is monitored by a 3rd party big brother now.