Volkswagen Vanagon T3 Westphalia

Stephen

Who Dares Wins
As with anything, depends on the condition. I've seen some in pretty good shape for under $5000. Personally, when the time comes, I will look for one with a solid body and complete camper equipment. The canvas can be bad, as I've seen replacements for that at a reasonable price. The engine will be swapped for a Subaru number, so thats not super important if it runs. Aside from that, I'm not sure. The research continues.

Kiel

Formerly WJ ZUK
No offense stephen, but maybe a little... why would you buy something just to do a complicated motor swap....do you remember your datsun

Stephen

Who Dares Wins
No offense stephen, but maybe a little... why would you buy something just to do a complicated motor swap....do you remember your datsun

The 510 was a basket case from the get go. It was an impulse buy. Body was more or less straight and mostly rust free, but the interior was completely shot and the thing hadn't been used for years. So nothing worked, period. What got me with that was analysis paralysis, lack of immediate funds and no one but the interwebs to turn to for help.

A Westphalia would be different, I feel. I'd be looking mainly for one that was clean, good interior and all the bits included. Preferably it would run, but if it didn't and everything else was there, that would be OK. The purchase of the vehicle would be contingent on having more than sufficient funds for the entire project (which may allow for just buying one with the swap already done, we'll see). Additionally, I know two people with Westphalia's who have done a Subaru swap before. Another guy who has one with a Ford motor swapped in and another friend who had a Vanagon for years. I've been chatting with all these guys about what to look for and what to do. And finally, the wife is behind this one. All those things are pluses over the 510.

I guess I'll just have to wait and see if this ends up being another mistake. But hopefully not.

RockMonkey

Suddenly Enthusiastic
We owned two of these when I was a kid. The second one was a syncro. They were awesome little camping rigs, but the quality was bottom-notch. We took the things all over the country, including a trip through Maine and up into Quebec.

I remember them always being fixed at the dealership, and parts being very expensive. We had to wait for parts to be shipped from Germany more than once, and that was when they were still current models.

An econoline conversion would probably be better in every way. If you're set on a westfalia, converting everything mechanical to anything more reliable is probably the best plan.

JoeT

We owned two of these when I was a kid. The second one was a syncro. They were awesome little camping rigs, but the quality was bottom-notch. We took the things all over the country, including a trip through Maine and up into Quebec.

I remember them always being fixed at the dealership, and parts being very expensive. We had to wait for parts to be shipped from Germany more than once, and that was when they were still current models.

An econoline conversion would probably be better in every way. If you're set on a westfalia, converting everything mechanical to anything more reliable is probably the best plan.

Didn't one those eject it's exhaust into a semi?

sixstringsteve

Check out the blue one towards the bottom:

http://www.ujointoffroad.com/ujorbuilds.html

7.3L Ford Diesel. Decent MPG, tons of room, 4wd, 33's, and strong enough to tow. I could definitely see myself in a rig like that in a couple years. I'll bet that would handle beef basin and possibly elephant hill as well. What a cool way to get out and see the country. Dang it, now I'm getting ideas of building one... Darn you Stephen!

Last edited:

Rot Box

Diesel and Dust
Syncro is on the top of my wish list! Waaayyyyy too cool and functional. i can't believe there aren't more out there.

Did you guy's check out the latest Overland Journal? Big article on Westy's and Sycnros :cool:

RockMonkey

Suddenly Enthusiastic
Didn't one those eject it's exhaust into a semi?

I do remember one of them without an exhaust. Don't remember the circumstances though. The syncro system worked awesome. It was very capable, for what it was.

BCGPER

Starting Another Thread
Just a hunch but, he's the Navin Johnson of the off road world, still searching for his "special purpose"?

These under powered love shack POS's are still popular? I did a lot of illegal things in the back of an old micro-bus, back in the day, but I thought hippies were all dead by now.

Seriously, go visit your parents and slap em for being stoners and passing the gene onto you... :brett:

Stephen

Who Dares Wins
Stephen, why on earth can't you do something normal?

Why are you an asshole? Intrinsic to our personalities I guess. :cody:

Just a hunch but, he's the Navin Johnson of the off road world, still searching for his "special purpose"?

These under powered love shack POS's are still popular? I did a lot of illegal things in the back of an old micro-bus, back in the day, but I thought hippies were all dead by now.

Seriously, go visit your parents and slap em for being stoners and passing the gene onto you... :brett:

Not micro buses, Vanagons. Totally different era. Keep up with the class.
And my parents, for the record, complete opposite of hippies.

Cody

Random Quote Generator
Supporting Member
One day Stephen, you're going to purchase a vehicle that is somewhat suited for it's intended purpose and it's going to change your life. The days of sami's, vannigans, and yugo's will just be distant memories.