Volunteer Opportunities In Layton

Evolved

Less-Known Member
I recently posted a pretty nice BMX race bike on KSL. I bought it almost two years ago and raced it a handful of time. My family life is making it extremely difficult to race so I have decided to spend my time on my mountain bike instead. The BMX bike has been listed for almost two weeks and I haven't gotten a single call or text on on it until today. The kid that texted me says he just got into racing and doesn't have a good bike. He wants to trade me items but I have zero use for the items he wants to trade.

I thought that maybe this is a good opportunity to help a kid out (he says he's 16) and do a little community service at the same time. I asked him how much cash he could come up with, I have it listed at $200. He said he doesn't have a job and money is hard to come by.

I raced bikes as a kid and it was great for me. It kept me out of trouble and gave me something to look forward to and focus on. I basically told the kid if he did some community service I would give the bike to him. Now, where can I have him volunteer at? Does anyone have a good organization in Layton that would need some help? I don't know this kid at all, I don't even know his name. I just have about 10 different text messages from. I want him to earn it and not just give the bike to him. He says he is pretty shy and not a people person.

Thoughts???

I am thinking maybe I just reach out to the people that run the track and have him help the track out to earn it. That work wouldn't take place until next spring though.

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
How about asking him to document his hours helping out his neighbors? Come up with a number (50-100 hrs?) that you both agree is fair, so he feels like he worked for the bike. Raking leaves, shoveling snow off sidewalks, etc... something beyond working around his parents home. Perhaps ask the local city office if they have some volunteer work he could perform too?

Evolved

Less-Known Member
Based on our conversation it sounds like (this is just me assuming) that transportation may be tough. I would like to find something local and close. I heard back from the guy that runs the track in Farmington and he said the season is over and they don’t have anything set in stone for next season. Maybe I’ll reach out to 50/50 BMX tomorrow and see if they have any good ideas. I would like to help the BMX community out first. If that doesn’t work out I’ll try something else... unless someone here has a good cause that needs help.

Jesser04

I’m sure there is plenty of elderly people that need leaves raked this time of year. I did my lawn today and ended up helping on two more. There is also Adams canyon trail that is covered in dog shit drop him off with a couple bags and gloves and pic him up 4-5 hours later.

Evolved

Less-Known Member
I’m sure there is plenty of elderly people that need leaves raked this time of year. I did my lawn today and ended up helping on two more. There is also Adams canyon trail that is covered in dog shit drop him off with a couple bags and gloves and pic him up 4-5 hours later.

yeah, I know there are plenty of elderly or needy people that need help. How do I hold him accountable? I guess I could have him send me pictures of the yards after he is done. How do I find these people? I’m not on Facebook, just here and Instagram. Seems aLayton Facebook page might be the best place. I’ll see if my wife is a member of one of those pages.

Evolved

Less-Known Member
@gijohn40 I will likely be reaching out to you later this week. That's definitely a worthy cause of help.

How many lawns do you think is worth $200. Assuming most yards are around 1/4 of an acre. Like 4, 6, 8 or 10?

gijohn40

too poor to wheel... :(
it took me, my son and grandson 2 hours to fill 9 bags of leaves yesterday. work out a pay per hour with the kid and see what he think is ok. then go with that.

Evolved

Less-Known Member
So... I kind of thought this might happen. The kid bailed. Not returning text messages or anything. Sorry I wasn't able to help out @ChestonScout and @gijohn40

He got all weird when I first told him that he would be helping people I didn't know. I wonder if his shyness that he was totally up front about was too much to help and talk to random strangers.