Vortec 6.0L conversion

I'm swaping my 350 to a 2002 6.0L in my 89 Full Size Jimmy, wondering if anyone has any advise? i've checked out www.advanceadapters.com, they give a few things and sell stuff. I'm not sure about where i can pull vacuum from for my brakes. that web site also sells motor mount plates for $113 but why buy something when i can make something, but i need to figure out a design. if anyone has ideas... I'm going to start at the begining of dec so I will keep everyone posted on my progress.

great scott

I asume that you have all the harnes, pcm, fuel delivery ect. It would be alot harded to part by part that stuf. What of the trans, I belive that pcm uses sensors from the trans to help the engine. I have seen it done befor in a jeep but I didnt get the low down. Way cool though.

UPDATE so heres the scoop so far. bought the a used 2002 6.0L w/ 71,000 miles from All Truck for $1800. I got with it the PCM, Wiring harness, airfilter box, starter, alternator, ac compresser....i think thats it, oh and two free alltruck hats. For about $50 i got the dash and heater controls. since these trucks dont use much on vacuum lines im getting the hydrolic brake boost for about $100. From what i am told my fuel pump should work, since the pressure is regulated at the throuhtel body. As far as conecting to the trans, i will be ok except that GM has moved on bolt hole. it is said not to drill that missing hole out due to the water jacket on the other side. since the Flexplates are diffrent got a conversion flexplate from http://www.advanceadapters.com/ for about $95, which came with some extra stuff. i also got from them, a TV cable kit which got about $120 out of me. as far as all the electronic things go, like abs system, airbag, trans sensors, and stuff like that im goin to have to use resistors to trick the pcm. Advance adapters also sells a engine mount braket but i think i can come up with something. i also hear that the a/c compressor wont work since the frame is in the way....we will see.

Last edited:
UPDATE well got the old motor out, right now we are fabracating some new motor mounts. To get the motor in place we had to do some frame mods, ie slight cut outs for the exhaust, the EGR, and the A/C compressor hook-ups. We are going to weld and bolt on a piece of angle iron on the back side of the frame. to make up for the support we had to cut away. Also a crossmember had to be removed, but another one will have to be made to fit around everything. also taking out the old brake booster before lowering the vortec in really helped. As far as the motor mounts go we are trying to use the lower 89 mounts (the lower part that attaches to the frame) and we will build a new up piece. we are able to aline the vortec in order to use the same fan shrowed.

UPDATE well a lot has happened since the last update, to bad it has nothing to do with my truck. but anyways what we have done is built the mounting plates for the motor mounts and we have supported the frame with some angle iron (which i have pics of). i got the dash wiring harness to make things easier for electrical, but it hasnt been installed. I printed out all of the electricle diagrams that i will need from Mitchell On Demand, BIG HELP. i need an electronic vehicle speed sensor. I also got the 2002 throttle cable, all i had to do is enlarge the hole in the firewall. Since the battery is on the drivers side on the 02 and on the passanger side of the 89, i bought a battery plate for the drivers side at a junk yard. The engine is ready to go in. All i have left is the electrical and hoses. As far as the trans goes, the only thing i have to worry about is the torque convertor clutch. I will just install a manual switch on my shifter unless there are anyother ideas.