Wagoneer help!

Green-Tonka-CJ5

BEE-DUHB
SO i have an 83 or 84 jeep Wagoneer (title discrepancy) and have been trying to research about my drive train. I believe it has selec-track and the TH400 transmission. There is the lever on the dash to flip it from 2wd to 4wd (vacuum system?) then the actual transfer case lever on the floor by my feet to go from 4HI to 4 Lo? Im trying to make sense of all these different options, can anyone give me some direction? The weather is obviously bad and i want to understand how to shift this without blowing up the transmission/transfer case when the time comes. :D

My main questions are 1) am i ever in true 2wd? There are no manual hubs
2)Do i shift the vacuum system on the dash to 4wd and its automatically in 4HI?
3) What is the best way to shift the floor lever? Last time i tried, it didnt want to shift very nicely.

Thank you for any input :spork:

Attachments

• New waggy paint.jpg
    New waggy paint.jpg
    45.9 KB · Views: 5

Tacoma

Et incurventur ante non
I believe it has selec-track and the TH400 transmission.

TH400's were discontinued in '81 in Jeeps. You have a Torqueflite 727.

There is the lever on the dash to flip it from 2wd to 4wd (vacuum system?) then the actual transfer case lever on the floor by my feet to go from 4HI to 4 Lo? Im trying to make sense of all these different options, can anyone give me some direction? The weather is obviously bad and i want to understand how to shift this without blowing up the transmission/transfer case when the time comes. :D

I have forgotten a LOT about FSJ's, but if I remember right, SelecTrac was an option for 2wd, 4hi, 4lo... I may be wrong about the specifics though, and I haven't googled. :D

My main questions are 1) am i ever in true 2wd? There are no manual hubs

If I remember correctly, the vacuum system shifts the case, and the hubs are locked all the time via drive slugs... but yes, you have 2wd

2)Do i shift the vacuum system on the dash to 4wd and its automatically in 4HI?

Yes

3) What is the best way to shift the floor lever? Last time i tried, it didnt want to shift very nicely.

probably just like most t-cases: stopped, in N, shift to LO.

IFSJA.org should be able to dole out detailed specifics about anything you want to know about. :D And if you want to get on the FSJ mailing list, I'll give you a link. There is a large FSJ brain trust on it.

Green-Tonka-CJ5

BEE-DUHB
On the 727 transmission, its a 3 speed without overdrive correct? Wondering how i can better my freeway mileage. It runs at a pretty high rpm after about 55 mph. It will shift into third at about 45 mph. Stock size tires

BCGPER

Starting Another Thread
On the shifting, shift it as fast as possible and it will minimize the grinding. On the overdrive, larger tires are always a plus. ;)

Gas4Blood

Oh and i ask on shifting it because i was stopped, in neutral and also tried park, and it was grinding a lot

Just a tip, when shifting to or from 4Lo, kick it in park or nuetral and shut the Jeep off. This will allow the internals of the T-case to stop spinning. I have to do that everytime. No grinding when you do it this way. :D