Walking Targets, by I Lean

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
If you haven't seen this thread by Carl (I Lean), check it out!

http://www.rme4x4.com/showthread.php?t=83355

http://www.rme4x4.com/showpost.php?p=775534&postcount=60

He build a home made CNC plasma cutter and is turning out some neat stuff, like these walking targets! I should have taken a photo of them before I welded them up, they're perfect! Nice sharp corners, very precision cuts. I purchased 2 of them, welded them up, hit them with some red paint and then stuck some target stickers on them.

They work great! It's neat to see them move and the metal makes a nice report when the bullet smacks it. I shot about 100 rounds at the 2, probably hitting them half the time... :eek: :rofl: ... and with 50 hits from my little 22, they're fine. At this rate, they will last me a long time. :D

P6180062-Medium-L.jpg

P6180064-Medium-L.jpg

P6180067-Medium-L.jpg

P6180068-Medium-L.jpg

Video to come... ;)

I Lean

Mbryson's hairdresser
Vendor
They work great! It's neat to see them move and the metal makes a nice report when the bullet smacks it. I shot about 100 rounds at the 2, probably hitting them half the time... :eek: :rofl: ... and with 50 hits from my little 22, they're fine. At this rate, they will last me a long time. :D
Video to come... ;)

They're pretty fun, huh? :) It's a lot more fun when the target does something, as opposed to making holes in paper targets. (which is fun too...)

sixstringsteve

I bought two from Carl as well. One normal size, and one 1.5x bigger. I haven't had a chance to try them out yet, but I'm excited to give 'em a shot (pun intended). I doubt the 1/4" plate will hold up to my 9mm, but we'll see.

Last edited:

sLcREX

Formerly Maldito X
Very neat! I had been looking at these in stores and online. Are they available in different thickness plates?

I Lean

Mbryson's hairdresser
Vendor
Very neat! I had been looking at these in stores and online. Are they available in different thickness plates?

Right now all I have is 1/4". (well, I have thinner...but you don't want thinner) Next time I buy steel I can get different thicknesses....

Everyone else is PM'd. :greg:

Greg

Admin
They're pretty fun, huh? :) It's a lot more fun when the target does something, as opposed to making holes in paper targets. (which is fun too...)

They really are fun to shoot at! I have a swinging target that you stick the frame in the ground and the targets swing back & forth, but sometimes it falls over... these just keep going & going!

I kind of wish I had a semi-auto, so I could get it moving & keep it moving. :D

Greg

Admin
My 1st attempt at editing a video. :eek: Took me long enough! The song is more of a joke... 'Big Iron'... 22LR... :rofl::rofl: This wasn't even the best video as far as the shooting goes, but I was having some problems getting the file size down from the best video, so this one got uploaded. :rolleyes:

***video removed because it sucked***

I Lean

Mbryson's hairdresser
Vendor
Kinda hard to hear your voice over the music all the time, but....I don't think you can blame me for any of your misses. -_-

Greg

Admin
Kinda hard to hear your voice over the music all the time, but....I don't think you can blame me for any of your misses. -_-

I know, that was the best I could do with the options presented as far as mixing the music. I could have left it out, but I wanted to see how it would turn out.

I blamed Daisy for bumping the table first, then it went downhill from there and you got blamed eventually. :p

I Lean

Mbryson's hairdresser
Vendor
I know, that was the best I could do with the options presented as far as mixing the music. I could have left it out, but I wanted to see how it would turn out.

I blamed Daisy for bumping the table first, then it went downhill from there and you got blamed eventually. :p

Fair enough, I'll accept blame this one time. :rofl:

Seems to me a semi-auto would make accuracy better anyway, since you don't have to move around in between each shot like you do with your whatever it is. Lever or bolt action?

Greg

Admin
Fair enough, I'll accept blame this one time. :rofl:

Seems to me a semi-auto would make accuracy better anyway, since you don't have to move around in between each shot like you do with your whatever it is. Lever or bolt action?

Yep, for sure... bolt action, and I like it. :greg:

The shooting and display of the walking targets actually working wasn't good either. I shot 4 different videos and this was one of the worst, but it's the one that I could finally resize & use! I guess I'll have to try better again... tomorrow!

Any idea how the 1/4" plate would up to something bigger, say a .243? There's a LOT more powder behind it. :greg:

I Lean

Mbryson's hairdresser
Vendor
Yep, for sure... bolt action, and I like it. :greg:

The shooting and display of the walking targets actually working wasn't good either. I shot 4 different videos and this was one of the worst, but it's the one that I could finally resize & use! I guess I'll have to try better again... tomorrow!

Any idea how the 1/4" plate would up to something bigger, say a .243? There's a LOT more powder behind it. :greg:

I don't know...only one way to find out. ;)

My only experiments so far have been with the .22's, and a 9mm. The 9 will dent the steel, or put a bend in it if you hit the 'neck' section, the .22's you've already seen won't do anything besides hurt the paint.

My bro-in-law tried it with a pellet gun tonight, it doesn't have enough power to flip the target. I'll cut one out of 10 gauge and see how that works for the pellet gun. :)

Greg

Admin
I don't know...only one way to find out. ;)

My only experiments so far have been with the .22's, and a 9mm. The 9 will dent the steel, or put a bend in it if you hit the 'neck' section, the .22's you've already seen won't do anything besides hurt the paint.

My bro-in-law tried it with a pellet gun tonight, it doesn't have enough power to flip the target. I'll cut one out of 10 gauge and see how that works for the pellet gun. :)

I might have to order a larger one, in 3/8" plate if you eventually make some in that size. I'll try the .243 but I don't want to destroy one of these fun little things! I'd like to try the .243 at 200-300 yards out... that would be fun!

Interesting about the pellet gun, these are perfect for a .22 IMO. I was shooting them at 100 yrds and they worked just as advertised. :D