want to build a man shop-where to start with zoning, setback, etc

rondo

rondo
time to build a man shop, maybe 2.5 car garage or so. where to start with the feasibility of it? concerned with getting the shop I want on .31 acre. backyard seems big enough. that's a start. who has done this?

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
Besides your jurisdiction building codes (city or county), be sure to look into any codes and covenants your neighborhood has. Then check with utilities. I had to have a site visit from the county, deal with my neighbors (turned out to be non-issue) and have site visit by Rocky Mtn Power as they have power lines behind my house and a 5' easement into my back yard. I ended up with a 33' x 36' w/ 14' walls that I absolutely love, I'm out-growing it with my business but there are few things I would change if I could do it over for a 3rd time :D

rondo

rondo
thanks for the replies. Kurt, i'm very interested in what you would do differently. i'm not the most creative person and like to learn from folks like you on rme.

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
Things I would do differently?

I would put another man door (or two). I have two 10' wide doors on each end of the building and a man door on the front but I wish I would have put one on the rear too. It's a bit of a pain to open the garage door to walk out back. I love my heat (radiant) in the winters but I've got to do something for the summer heat, been looking for a decent roll around swamp cooler but I may just bit the bullet and mount one to the building? I'm overall happy with my outlets and plugs, I did 4 welder outlets (basically one on every wall) and ~20 regular outlets but there are always times when you could use them in different locations. I still need to hard-plumb my compressor and air lines. Wiring is done, I just need to build a little 'shed' and then plumb it through the building. I'll think of others...

glockman

I hate Jeep trucks
I built a 25x40 about, well it is still an ongoing project. I did 10' walls and a 6/12 roof. If I were to do it over again, I would go with 14' walls and have a loft in the rear part over my benches or a bonus room built into the trusses. That would clear a lot of my floor space against the walls that gets used for storage instead of work area. I would also run plumbing into the building. For electrical I have a 100 amp panel with 2 220v outlets and 35 110v outlets. Like Kurt, I have enough outlets but I would change locations of where they are. I would also advise deciding where your bench or main work area will be and splitting the outlets into several circuits at that location. Also, too much light is just about enough.

Garage journal is a great resource. That site combined with my limited funds which made my shop take 3 years to be built, roofed, wired and dry walled helped me avoid mistakes by planning, thinking and replanning before I completed each phase.

rondo

rondo
good replies! been visiting the garage forums for a while; excellent resource! great advice about putting the 220v in different locations around the shop. was thinking that way about hard air lines to plug into but not for welding. easier than having a really long cable. would be a great idea to have a loft for storage. I was thinking spiral staircase to minimize the room needed inside or build outside stairs?
i'm not going to build this myself or it'd take 3 years or more :) what do you fellas think, pole, metal, or stick?

glockman

I hate Jeep trucks
I stick framed mine because I thought it would be cheaper. What I didn't calculate was all the small stuff and how expensive some of the big stuff was. Siding, sofit and fascia were just a few things that were WAY more than I had planned on. I could have bought the steel building for about the same if not less and had it up in a month instead of 2 years. I have built several metal buildings in the past and they are super quick and easy to put up. I do like that my shop matches my house which a metal building wouldn't.