~Want to buy a Laptop (new or used) need advice.~

Jay5.9L

...I just filled the cup.
I want to buy a laptop in the ~$500 range. It can be used but in good condition. It will be used for internet, DVDs, general stuff and medium requirement games. I know a good amount about desktops but know crap about laptops. Any one have some good advice what to look for and does anyone have one for sale. :)

Thanks,
Jason

4thefamily

Laptop

Jay5.9L said:
I want to buy a laptop in the ~$500 range. It can be used but in good condition. It will be used for internet, DVDs, general stuff and medium requirement games. I know a good amount about desktops but know crap about laptops. Any one have some good advice what to look for and does anyone have one for sale. :)

Thanks,
Jason

First of all 500 will not buy you a new laptop. I have a Dell 1.4ghz, 128mb, and a 40gb HD, it has a DVD/CD drive and also a 3x5 floppy drive, We bought it to use as a DVD player for the kids when we go on trips and a backup computer for Me, My wife hogs the other computer. Things I would change on mine are more memory no less than 256, no need for a floppy drive, more usb ports, only has two, and a dvd/cd burner. The Dell has not given me any problems but I think Compaq has nicer looking shells. Typing on this took a while to adjust to but now I prefer it over a standard keyboard. Just my two cents hope it helps.

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
Not too sure on the $$ end of the deal, but I have been really happy with my Dell 8600 Inspiron, seems like alot of guys at school (engineering department) use Dell too, no complaints I have heard.

I also had an older IBM thinkpad, it was decent but had very few features that make the Dell so nice.

Good luck!

MattL

4thefamily said:
First of all 500 will not buy you a new laptop. I have a Dell 1.4ghz, 128mb, and a 40gb HD, it has a DVD/CD drive and also a 3x5 floppy drive, We bought it to use as a DVD player for the kids when we go on trips and a backup computer for Me, My wife hogs the other computer. Things I would change on mine are more memory no less than 256, no need for a floppy drive, more usb ports, only has two, and a dvd/cd burner. The Dell has not given me any problems but I think Compaq has nicer looking shells. Typing on this took a while to adjust to but now I prefer it over a standard keyboard. Just my two cents hope it helps.

First of all your wrong. YOu can get a new laptop for under 5 bill
check the link
http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.gsp?product_id=3504708&sourceid=36026680013599469999

Now on the contrary.. would i want it. no.. would i wish it on my enemy.. maybe..

I second dell.. i use and work on them everyday for work.

onetuff76

Guard Rail Tester
I've got a compaq been happy with it. But if you want a good machine plan on spending around $1000 not $500. Personally my next computers will be macs, seen the G4 and new G8 is killer. They now have software that will take care of the major file types like work and excel. Just the machines are built alot better.

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
onetuff76 said:
I've got a compaq been happy with it. But if you want a good machine plan on spending around $1000 not $500. Personally my next computers will be macs, seen the G4 and new G8 is killer. They now have software that will take care of the major file types like work and excel. Just the machines are built alot better.

G8?????.............I've heard of G5, ???

Caleb

mbryson said:
G8?????.............I've heard of G5, ???

yep, G5 is the newest ones...especially in the laptops...just within the last year have they started using G5s in laptops...

onetuff76

Guard Rail Tester
G8 is the new desktop model they're releasing soon. Everything is in a 17" flat screen monitor. I could be wrong on the G8 tag, but if I remember right that's what they are calling it.

PierCed_3

I drive Frankenstein!!
HP's and COMPAQ's are crap. Stay away from them. I hate mine with a passion. Dell is a wonderful computer manufacturer. I work in the IS department at work and all we work with are Dells. I would suggest a custom laptop just because I should have got the "custom" one I wanted. The HP was 200$ cheaper and had more CPU and RAM but it still sucks. The one I was going to get would run circles around this HP. If you get a computer from a big brand manufacturer go with Dell, you won't regret it.

My work laptop is Dell and it runs circles around my HP and it has less CPU and RAM. Gateways is also not a good brand. OOOH the headaches I get from those brands.

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
onetuff76 said:
G8 is the new desktop model they're releasing soon. Everything is in a 17" flat screen monitor. I could be wrong on the G8 tag, but if I remember right that's what they are calling it.

If you search apple.com for 'g8' I get 'No Match Found'....... :confused: Some of the new G5's have the features you've indicated.