Wanted: New to me Truck

kmboren

Recovering XJ owner anonymous
The only problem I have with the Dodge is the cab size, unless you get a mega can. That's why I got a newer truck. You've been dealing with an even smaller cab so maybe it won't be a big deal to you

Yea That is why I have been focusing on the Chevy/GMC duramaxs. A new dodge would be bigger than what I have but not as big as the GMs. I would Love a Mega Cab but they only made Those in the Short bed and my slide camper I need a long bed.

TRD270

Emptying Pockets Again
Supporting Member
I currently DD a 2015 Chev 2500 LTZ, and a Dodge 2500 Big Horn. Once you drive the GM, you'll hate the Dodge. It still shocks me how bad the Dodge rides, and the interior noise is horrible.

Not super familiar with chev's but isn't the LTZ a little higher trim? Big Horn is lower on the Dodge trims. I wonder if noise would be the same on a Laramie, which would be closer in line with an LTZ. Not picking a battle, just wondering out of curiosity, since the manufactures put more sound deadening in the higher end trims.

BCGPER

Starting Another Thread
The LTZ is Chevys top of the line. The Big Horn is pretty well equipped, minus the leather seats. One thing I thought was dumb on my Dodge, which I now love, is the heated steering wheel. It's stupid, till you own one.

blznnp

The only problem I have with the Dodge is the cab size, unless you get a mega can. That's why I got a newer truck. You've been dealing with an even smaller cab so maybe it won't be a big deal to you

Yea That is why I have been focusing on the Chevy/GMC duramaxs. A new dodge would be bigger than what I have but not as big as the GMs. I would Love a Mega Cab but they only made Those in the Short bed and my slide camper I need a long bed.

My 2012 Ram 2500 isn't a mega cab, but it has more room than my 2008 F350 did. seems that dodge/ram has like three different size four door cabs available. Or maybe its just the newer dodges have a bigger 4 door cab than the older ones. I didn't want a dodge due to the cab of the 4door, but then they started making them bigger (without it being the mega cab). I loved my old 6.4 but they still aren't perfect. I know lots of a people that have loved their 6.0 fords and had no problems and used them to tow like crazy. I like my truck now, but I still want to get like a 85 crew cab chevy and swap a 12V or something into it. I have only had my ram 2500 for a year so I can't say to much on it, especially since it has 25K miles on it so its not really broken in, but so far I have no issues...major issues that is.

N-Smooth

Smooth Gang Founding Member
Quad
Crew
Mega

I have a crew and love it. I can't imagine having a quad like I originally planned on.

blznnp

Quad
Crew
Mega

I have a crew and love it. I can't imagine having a quad like I originally planned on.
One of my old neighbors in Washington had a quad cab, only one kid, no booster seat or car seat, and he said it was tight back there for him. and this was when he was kinda a small 10 year old kid. but the crew cab, I guess thats what I have, awesome room for sure. with my wife and our four kids, we have lots of room. the oldest sitting in the middle up front is a little cramped, only cause he has to have his feet on the center section, but leg room in the back is no issue at all.

Bart

I have a 2002 DMax and love it. I added the newer manual mode shifter since it didn't come with an OD lockout.

kmboren

I have a 2002 DMax and love it. I added the newer manual mode shifter since it didn't come with an OD lockout.
How did you do this? I beleive the newer manual mode shifters didn't happen until 2006. The truck I am most interested in is a 2004.5 Dmax with the lly motor. Curious if this is something I would need to do. Was it a very difficult mod?

Last edited:

Bart

It's the Fleece Tapshifter that has a control module that plugs into your computer and replaces your shiftier lever with the 2007 and newer one. It also has an indicator light that lets you know when it's in use. I have hit it a time or two and was glad I had the idiot light. I ordered mine through Gillette and had them install it.
http://www.xtremediesel.com/fleeceallisontapshifter.aspx

KWight

Those Chevys you are looking at are priced way too high in my opinion. I bought my 2007 F250 two years ago from a dealer in Arizona. It has the 6.0 in it but was well maintained by the original owner, a 63 year old man. I picked it up for less than those Chevys are priced at and it had 100,000 miles less on it. The dealership I purchased it from has 3 Duramaxes in stock right now, a 2002 F250 with the 7.3 diesel and several newer F250s. You might want to check out their website here: http://www.wheelkinetics.com/

Kevin

kmboren

I want thank those that offered advise and commented on here. I learned a lot when looking into trucks but looks like this will be put on hold. I never planned on selling my truck but my father was interested so we entertained the idea. He was going back and forth on it but yesterday he backed out so I will be keeping my existing truck which I am fine with. The only reason I was considering it was for more room but my kids are still small so for now we will make it work.

My Current truck is a 1996 Dodge ram 2500 extented cab long bed that I put a 1998.5 24 valve with only a 138000 miles. When I sapped the motor over I had theAutomatic Tranny built. Edge attitude with Juice, bigger Bosch 100 hp injectors, fass lift pump, afe air horn and header into a banks power elbow with a 4 inch exhaust all the back. Air bags with overload springs. 17 inch Ultra rims with new BFG 285 70 r 17 at2s in load range E.

Last edited:

N-Smooth

Smooth Gang Founding Member
You just need to turn your truck into a 6 door...
I guess a 4 door would be a good start but that's boring

kmboren

something to be said for a solid known truck
Agreed. That is why I don't mind keeping it. I have done a lot to make it solid for my purposes.

You just need to turn your truck into a 6 door...
I guess a 4 door would be a good start but that's boring

It wouldn't be to hard to make it into a 4 door. Just need to swap the cab for a 98-02 cab and I would have a 4 door tru k with no additional room but easier to get the kids in and out of it.

kmboren

Well even though My father in law did not by my truck he borrowed it and ever since I got it back it has not been the same so I am still looking. I have it narrowed down to 2 duramaxs and would like some thoughts on them. Truck are priced the same and in the same condition nice interior and pretty clean exterior.

First one is a LLY dually. it has a mild edge chip with EGR blocked pcv bypassed rerouted. LBZ turbo inlet tube 4 inch straight exhaust. Basically all the issue the llys had have been taken care of. It does have original injectors. 194000 Miles. DVD player/radio. He is essentially the 2nd owner of the truck. A father then son owned it before him.

Second truck it s 2006 LBZ 4 door long bed NOT dually. It has air bags, EFI live tune with banks 6 gun for the monitor. Air dog fuel system 4 inch exhaust back up camera in the aftermarket radio. 191000 miles. Unsure of injector status but these years were not known for the injector issue it was the LB7s that had it.

Pros and cons: The 2004 has a known History with a carfax to back it up. Not as much of a tune but that is not necessarily a bad thing The 3500 dually would be nice for my camper but not needed and probably get a little worst fuel mileage. 2006 has the newer LBZ motor which without tunes is more powerful and the Allison is the 6 speed that has the controller on the shift lever vs the 5 speed without the controller but can be added. The air bags will help with my heavy camper but is a 2500 I believe vs the 3500. Both seem like good Options. The 2006 is 60 mins away so going to go look at it tomorrow. The dually is 4 hours away. Might look at it next weekend on my way to moab if I dont buy the 2006.

Lets hear your thoughts and opinions.

TRD270

Emptying Pockets Again
Supporting Member
3/4 ton with bags over a 1 ton with back breaking suspension as well. I don't recall if it will see DD duties