Ward Canyon Trail temporarily closed

RuggedH2

Just doing my thing.
I didn't know if I should post this here or in trail talk.

I didn't see it posted yet... anyway the Forest Service has temporarily closed Ward Canyon trail.

Here is the link.

http://www.fs.usda.gov/wps/portal/f...-Wasatch-Cache National Forest- News & Events

Ward Canyon Road, (Forest Road #80177) located in Davis County east of Bountiful is closed until further notice. The closure is due to unstable soil conditions that have damaged a portion of the Ward Canyon Road. The closure begins at the Uinta-Wasatch-Cache National Forest boundary and goes east to the junction with Skyline Drive (Forest Road #80008). See attached map.

1TonTom

Poser Offroad Bronco
That's good to know! I wanted to run that trail til now:( Does anyone know of any other fun trail's up this way Davis/Weber Co? And yes I know about Skyline DR... :)

rholbrook

Where it looks to me to be is the little meadow right before the climb where is you stay left you can go into Buckland Campground or if you stay right you go up to Buckland Ridge. That has to be right on the edge when you first come up into that little meadow.

It make me want to go check it out. I'll see what Wednesday brings. Maybe I'll take the WR to go look.

gertsch

I was up there saturday and the main road is closed not the actual trail. By the picture it looks like the same area of the main road that washed out like a year or two ago. There were no road closed signs on the ward canyon trail cause saturday went up to the upper meadow and everything was fine. It was really busy cause that was the only way up the mountain. A service project would be awesome have some scouts that need service hours and I have a front load tractor available.

Last edited:

04nachotaco

Its wells
It's washed out where it always washes out at the old ward canyon lookout, the big turn right there. The pipeline crews that have been working up there are going to repair it but due to them working up there all summer the road will most likely remain closed. Also there is a new gate at buckland flats, that is where it is closed and that most likely will not open up soon. The buckland trail leading from the "playground" up to buckland is still open however. You just can't go up canyon from buckland.

mhudson

YEEHAY
The old ward canyon road IS NOT CLOSED. This road is officially access to private property, and they have no order to close it. The trail is open to run till you get to buckland flats were it hooks back up to the main road. Then you have to turn around and go back down the trail.. If cought on the main road you WILL GET A TICKET...
The ridge trail is marked as a walk/hike/motorbike/atv trail only. Though you can get a small truck, like a toy truck.
The main road, though is closed due to it washed out. It washed out by the old overlook below buckland flats. They are laying some pipe on the pipeline across the back side of the road, and the company will be fixing the road. They installed a gate just above buckland to close the road so their trucks to get trashed by vandals..
The road is closed with an unofficial reopen time frame. When I spoke to forests service on the day it washed out. If they had a choice. This road will PERMANENTLY will be closed FOREVER.

Just an F.Y.I. for all. From the "B" all across to the fence and straight up. This is all PRIVATE PROPERTY. The Forrest service line starts just around the corner almost to the first switch back. The "B", the parking lot From the houses down to the road all across to 400 north, the mud pits above the the "B", the first meadow above the pits, and up to the second meadow.

I will try to post up a link of the property lines..

mhudson

YEEHAY
secondly. Watch the names. Old ward canyon is the back road to buckland, and PRIVATE PROPERTY. old ward canyon road is also known as skyline drive. This road is closed.
it HAS NOT BEEN FLOODED. IT FELL VICTOM TO A MUD SLIDE. THE MUD SLIDE IS IN THE SAME SPOT THAT WASHED OUT A FEW YEARS AGO. The forest servise used dirt from the outlook that was right on the corner to fill in the part of the road that washd out and the little bowl that was their. They did not do it right when it washed. They should have made a good base down on the grass meadow and build it up. Installed a drainage pipe under the road from the bowl, to the other side. if you walk down from were it washed out a few yards. You can see were the slide started a few years ago. This year it is a continue from then...

mhudson

YEEHAY
You very well could have. I grew up on the trail and in the area. I do alot of campping and night runs on the trail.. my fav for a quick easy for fun run around.

RuggedH2

Just doing my thing.
The old ward canyon road IS NOT CLOSED. This road is officially access to private property, and they have no order to close it. The trail is open to run till you get to buckland flats were it hooks back up to the main road. Then you have to turn around and go back down the trail.. If cought on the main road you WILL GET A TICKET...

Just an F.Y.I. for all. From the "B" all across to the fence and straight up. This is all PRIVATE PROPERTY. The Forrest service line starts just around the corner almost to the first switch back. The "B", the parking lot From the houses down to the road all across to 400 north, the mud pits above the the "B", the first meadow above the pits, and up to the second meadow.

I will try to post up a link of the property lines..

Are you positive? The posted notice threatens a $10,000 dollar fine if caught on the trail and the map graphic posted had both routes highlighted.

We canceled a group run after reading the notice posted at the base of Skyline Drive and in the parking area.

I hope you are right. We still want to make this little fun trail run.

mhudson

YEEHAY
The main road (skyline) is closed due to mud slide. The old ward canyon trail IS OPEN.. IT IS PRIVATE PROPERTY AND THE FOREST SERVICE HAS NO SAY ON THE TRAIL.. The old ward canyon trail goes from the mud pits to buckland flats. If you get to buckland flats and turn onto the main road. You will get a ticket their. Forest service CAN NOT give a ticket on the old ward caynon trail, Nor give a ticket for shooting at the upper meadow (second meadow) This is all private property. I have talked with both forest service and the family that owns the land up their. I am working on a map of were the property lines are, and were the forest service lines go.

I will post as soon as I can .

ret32

...I am working on a map of were the property lines are, and were the forest service lines go.

I will post as soon as I can .
Forest Service has already done it for you. http://www.fs.usda.gov/Internet/FSE_MEDIA/stelprdb5294266.jpg

Green is FS land.

White is private property.

Pink road is Skyline Drive.

Yellow highlighted portion of Skyline Drive is the "Ward Canyon Road" portion that is closed.

"Old Ward Canyon Road" is the one paralleling the closed (yellow) road, on private property, re-intersecting with "Ward Canyon Road" at Buckland Flat.

Last edited:

RuggedH2

Just doing my thing.
Why don't they just call Skyline Drive by that name?

So there is a difference between "Ward Canyon" and "Old Ward Canyon"...

Thanks for the clarification.

mhudson

YEEHAY
Skyline drive. To be honest. Their are 3 different skyline drives. One is down south some were (never been on it) two are at the "B". one is the paved road which the houses are on. Two is the dirt road from their. Some folks know this road under different names (skyline, ward canyon, old ward canyon) If you look at google maps. both trails are skyline drive. This (I think) were the miss understanding is. They are different.

Old ward canyon. This is the (as I hear it referred to) back road to buckland. This road, about 25 to 50 years (give or take) used to be the ONLY road up, when they installed the first pipeline. Then they made the other road to accommodate the traffic of folks that wanted to use this portion of mountain for camping and such.

Ward canyon is another name that folks now the main road.

An old forest service man by the name of (no joke) Fender. He was the head of the district for this area of davis. He really worked hard to maintain (along with the bountiful jeep dorks), take care of the area. He put together the camp sites, made them what they were. Made the little parking spot at dead mans curve ( the spot with all the cars at the bottom. now they have rocks to block them off) He made the look out (make out point, shooters point.) on the big turn were it has washed out. He started buckland flats, the little cove for camping just above buckland flats. He would grade the road for deer hunters. then when he quite. The new guy. He totally went the other direction. He started to block off little areas from were folks started making trails (which I helped with) to stop the damage done by snow machines and atvs. Then He went and started blocking off others. Things just went from their.

Bountiful jeep dorks. They used to be really great. They worked on keeping up hear in good shape. when people were lost. they helped find them. But in the last 5 years. They went south with the new forest service man. Now all they are good for is the bountiful parade.

The mud pits above the "B". They used not to look like they do now. They used to be better. Bountiful, a while ago (8 yearsish) went and took a grader up and dosed some dirt from the south face and shipped the dirt to the bountiful city dump... Since they have done that. The face washes out. Their use to be four trails that were fun as can be that went from the parking lot to the mud pits. Instead of just the one pit. Their used to have four. One realy easy. one a little deeper, one a little more deeper. the last one was the deepest and had a wall that you had to climb out of. The parking lot used to be that whole flat. Their was enough room for folks to unload their trucks and still play on the flat. Now, on bizy weekends it is hard to find a path.

ret32

Why don't they just call Skyline Drive by that name?

So there is a difference between "Ward Canyon" and "Old Ward Canyon"...

Thanks for the clarification.
I think that technically (at least in the eyes of the FS) Skyline Drive is JUST the road that runs along the ridge. From the Bountiful end, you use Ward Canyon Road to access Skyline Drive. From the Farmington end, you use Farmington Canyon Road to access Skyline Drive. However, most trail guides, guide books, and people in general seem to refer to the entire loop from Bountiful to Farmington as Skyline Drive.