Warn Hub Fuses

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
Anyone here run them? I have seen them, held them, read about them, I just want some insight from someone that has actually "used" them... ever break one? Damage to hub? Cleanup?

J

jeff cardall

Originally posted by cruiseroutfit
Anyone here run them? I have seen them, held them, read about them, I just want some insight from someone that has actually "used" them... ever break one? Damage to hub? Cleanup?
i run them never broke one but i was told that you can change one out in about 10 min. ive looked at them very easy to do.have had many people say they swear by them:D

S

sukaB

10 minutes?????????????????????????????
Does that include a 9minute smoke break or what.....
hehehehehehe
There fast and easy same as hub almost...
JEFF work on your ring and pinion replacement times....

Dodge diesel manual tranny output twisted off (4500)
two hours in and out two dudes......Ask chris.......

It's all about the Junk Yard....

J

jeff cardall

Originally posted by sukaB
10 minutes?????????????????????????????
Does that include a 9minute smoke break
like i said never done it before just heard it takes about 10 min:rolleyes: and it probably would take that long for someone doing it for the first time!;)

Kris K

4x4 Addict!
I've heard these work but never seen them. Are these suppost to break before you break an axle is this true if so it would be the way to go with my sami???

Bones

What do these cost? Links, etc.

I've never seen any or wheeled with anyone with any experience either. Always been curious as to the advantages of them though. I broke both my superwinch lockouts last time. everything else was fine though. Lifetime warr. rocks.

grinch

inner city redneck
Hmmmmmm my opnion is they suck........ I ran them I do have a led foot but thats how i like to do things.... I broke 3 of them in my 44 at 25 bucks a pop before I got rid of them.... After that I usually break the hub before the axle unless I have the wheel turnd and the u joint goes.....
I run warn Preimun hubs so they are free to fix... Fuses cost money..... They are worthless in my opnion........
try having both spin out on you cuz of a front locker catching and sliding down dump bump...... After that you will clean out your shorts and never put em back in.......
Any how that is my bad experiance. Other people will tell you different but if your breaking shafts to often spend the money on upgrading to chrome molly shafts..... better for ya in the long run....

Bones

Sound like a band aid fix to me. My weak link is my lockouts already, and they are not that easy to break with warns/ctm's. Why put something up front that is SUPPOSED to break?

Lockouts are simple to replace and cheap to find slugs for for the time you will need them. I have Warn premiums now and am waiting on mt superwinch's to come in the mail. We'll see if the warn's hold up better.

kb7sei

The idea is to have them break before a U-Joint or inner shaft. I wheel with a guy that runs them, and he likes them well enough. He says they don't break too easy for "normal" trail running. (Is anything we do "normal"?)

It's like an electrical fuse, a part that is supposed to break BEFORE breaking something much more expensive and/or difficult to fix. You wouldn't dream of running your rigs electrical system without fuses, would you?

Not that I think these are THAT usefull, but they have thier place. People that aren't real hardcore and just want to be reasonably sure they won't break a ujoint or inner axle out wheeling may want to look at them. The more hardcore types, and competitors, will want to avoid them and upgrade to cro-mo and beefy joints like CTMs. Also, if you allready have upgraded parts, they are worthless for you. They are set to break before a standard Spicer 297x ujoint. Putting them on a Warn/CTM combo is like putting a 1 Amp fuse on 4 AWG wire. You're protected, but you won't get full use of your big beefy parts.

I don't know where you bought them, but the ones I got for my D44 were about $15/pair at Six States. While replacement hubs ARE free (I have premiums as well) I have to drive back to town to get them. I can replace the fuse in a few minutes on the trail. I figgure I'll try them out and if I find them being more of a pain than they're worth, I still have the stock parts I can put back in. I also have the drive flanges that came with the D44 I bought if I really FUBAR a hub. ;)

On a Sami? CAN a Sami break? I didn't think they had enough power to break stuff. :p

J

jeff cardall

Originally posted by kb7sei
CAN a Sami break? I didn't think they had enough power to break stuff. :p
Trust me sammy's do break this i know from experiance:D

grinch

inner city redneck
Wow fuses ar only 15 bucks now????? when they first came out they were about 25 a pice..... that wa back in 96 or 97 I cant rember.....
Like i said before alot of people who run these will defend them. (so will people who actualy upgraded to the super 35 instead or running a real axle)
Rule of thumb with them
Dont run tire over 33"
Do not run if you have a locker in that axle
Do not ever try and bounce over and obsticle
And sorry but I think there a band aid not solving any real problem