Water Heater Plumbing

Floppy Hat

mbryson's hairdresser
It appears that the backflow valve on my water heater has failed. It is leaking about 3 gallons of water a day.

My system currently consists of a valve (spring loaded?) that clamps around the inlet pipe to my water heater and a grey line running down to the floor. This system seems pretty much worthless to me. What do you all have on yours?

BCGPER

Starting Another Thread
If you can snap a pic it would help. I'm taking a guess that it's the pressure relief valve leaking (and improperly installed). This valve should be mounted directly in the tank to work properly, since it also opens under high temperature to protect the water heater.

Floppy Hat said:
It appears that the backflow valve on my water heater has failed. It is leaking about 3 gallons of water a day.

My system currently consists of a valve (spring loaded?) that clamps around the inlet pipe to my water heater and a grey line running down to the floor. This system seems pretty much worthless to me. What do you all have on yours?

Floppy Hat

mbryson's hairdresser
I'll get a pic of it. The pressure relief valve is mounted on the side of the tank and isn't leaking.

I guess this backflow prevention thing is kind of a new requirement (last 10 years). It is supposed to prevent water that has entered my water heater from going back out to the water supply system, avoiding any possible contamination.

From the research I've done, the builder should have included an expansion tank to contain the extra water. In my system they just went with a line going to the base of the water heater. With the amount of water coming out, I have to think that this one-way "backflow prevention valve" must have failed.

BCGPER

Starting Another Thread
Ok, that's an easy one then. If it's leaking, just get rid of it. And you're right, you should have an expansion tank. Not a real big deal, but I'd add one when you replace the heater, or tie one in where the backflow preventer is now.

Floppy Hat said:
I'll get a pic of it. The pressure relief valve is mounted on the side of the tank and isn't leaking.

I guess this backflow prevention thing is kind of a new requirement (last 10 years). It is supposed to prevent water that has entered my water heater from going back out to the water supply system, avoiding any possible contamination.

From the research I've done, the builder should have included an expansion tank to contain the extra water. In my system they just went with a line going to the base of the water heater. With the amount of water coming out, I have to think that this one-way "backflow prevention valve" must have failed.

Floppy Hat

mbryson's hairdresser
Thanks. The more I look into it I'm realizing that no one will ever know (or care) if I don't have any sort of back flow prevention. Doesn't seem like many people do.

Last edited: