Water resistant paint....

Skyetone

Kinda crabby latley
I need to paint a piece of steel. It will be under constant water abuse. What is the best paint to get and where? Stardard paint rusts quick. Is POR15 something easy to get? Is there an epoxy style paint that would be basically water proof?

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
I bought POR15 at Jones Paint & Glass, so far so good. If its going to see alot of sun, clearcoat it. Otherwise it fades and turns a poop-grey color.

spencurai

Vanilla Gorilla
i had a friend tell me that the zolotone paint you used on your toy was porous is you dont seal it correctly making it unfriendly to steel. would that zolotone with sealer do the job sky needs??

Skyetone

Kinda crabby latley
where is this place at greg? What kind of a shop?
I am looking into several options. It is for my fish tanks. But I got kinda yelled at on another local BB for asking about non truck related stuff.
I do think this is related. I need to paint a 4"x18" and a 4"x24" (three pieces) with some funky lips welded into em.
The fist time I did the 4x18 I painted it three coats of krylon and it lasted maybee two months. That SUCKED!! Soo now I need to figure out if I can get some paint that would be cheeper than the roughly 50$ to powdercoat. But I don't want to go through this again with the paint. How hard is the POR to use or setup? I have a small paint gun or can I just brush it on?

Caleb

If it is going to cost $50 to powder coat all the pieces I say do it...POR 15 is amazing stuff, we have been using it a lot at work lately...but at $100 a gallon it is VERY pricey...IF you do use POR 15 were gloves or your hands and anything else you get it on will be black till it wears off...I got it on me and I was scrubbing it with a Brillo pad and it still wasn't even thinking about coming off...PITA but I am sure it will do what you need it to do:D