waynes world question

driver920

Ok guys this may be a stupid question but i have been watching video of waynes world and eagles nest and I am trying to decide just what is going on. There are trucks out there, that in my mind should just walk up as long as you are even close to a line, and for some reason they either fail to make it or take a very long time to make it then there are the ones, that again in my mind should maybe have a bit of a problem with it but shoot right up now i am not picking on anyone but examples would be my buddies truck 76 ford 2 1/2 ton GMC's on 52 inche tractor tires detroits front and back i have been wheeling with him forever and this truck has always been a point and shoot kinda truck and again not picking on anyone but ryans portal buggy again in my mind that thing should walk up WW the way it is set up with out spinning a tire when bret tried it there was absolutely NO dought in my mind he would walk over it and when he failed i was shocked but then the first time i every took the yoda up there walked right over ed's little blue buggy most of the video i have watched he walks all over it at will so i guess what i am asking is. what are the biggest factors in WW and EN would it be wheelbase, width, weight, or a combination of the three, or am i missing something

sixstringsteve

As you know, there's no one perfect rig for every obstacle. Tires, wheelbase, power, weight, conditions, the line you pick, driving skill, etc will all come into play.

Sometimes bigger doesn't mean more capable.

Personally, I think the type of tires you run have a LOT more to do with traction than people give them credit for. some tires do absolutely terribly on certain types of rock. I've heard good things about pitbulls, so I doubt ryan's issues were tire-related. I'm guessing the blue buggy had stickies, and that makes a huge difference on the slippery granite.

In my opinion, Wayne's world favors rigs with less than 105" wheelbase and tires with good traction. That granite is slippery stuff, and without optimal traction to the ground, it's tough to get up it.

On the other hand, Eagle's Nest, tends to favors 115"+ wheelbase, huge tires, lots of power, and wheelspin. There are exceptions, but the majority that I see climb it use the skinny pedal a lot. I heard there were a lot of rocks stacked in front of eagle's nest this past weekend. Typically, the nest has a 4-foot min undercut ledge to get your front tires up on it.

Last edited:

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
Ok guys this may be a stupid question but i have been watching video of waynes world and eagles nest and I am trying to decide just what is going on. There are trucks out there, that in my mind should just walk up as long as you are even close to a line, and for some reason they either fail to make it or take a very long time to make it then there are the ones, that again in my mind should maybe have a bit of a problem with it but shoot right up now i am not picking on anyone but examples would be my buddies truck 76 ford 2 1/2 ton GMC's on 52 inche tractor tires detroits front and back i have been wheeling with him forever and this truck has always been a point and shoot kinda truck and again not picking on anyone but ryans portal buggy again in my mind that thing should walk up WW the way it is set up with out spinning a tire when bret tried it there was absolutely NO dought in my mind he would walk over it and when he failed i was shocked but then the first time i every took the yoda up there walked right over ed's little blue buggy most of the video i have watched he walks all over it at will so i guess what i am asking is. what are the biggest factors in WW and EN would it be wheelbase, width, weight, or a combination of the three, or am i missing something

My interpretation of your ramblings....

Ok guys this may be a stupid question but i have been watching video of waynes world and eagles nest and I am trying to decide just what is going on. There are trucks out there, that in my mind should just walk up as long as you are even close to a line. For some reason they either fail to make it or take a very long time to make it. Then there are the ones, that again in my mind should maybe have a bit of a problem with it but shoot right up. Now i am not picking on anyone but examples would be my buddies truck 76 ford 2 1/2 ton GMC's on 52 inche tractor tires detroits front and back. I have been wheeling with him forever and this truck has always been a point and shoot kinda truck. Again not picking on anyone but ryans portal buggy again in my mind that thing should walk up WW the way it is set up with out spinning a tire. When bret tried it there was absolutely NO dought in my mind he would walk over it and when he failed i was shocked. Then the first time i every took the yoda up there walked right over. Ed's little blue buggy most of the video i have watched he walks all over it at will so i guess what i am asking is, what are the biggest factors in WW and EN would it be wheelbase, width, weight, or a combination of the three, or am i missing something?

After reading that, you make some assumptions that I know who your buddy is with the the 76 Ford, 2.5 ton axles and 52 tractor tires. You fail to mention if he makes it easily or has issues. You do say it's a "point and shoot" type of truck so I'm assuming he makes it look easy? I would guess the factor for that rig to be tire circumference/rolling resistance.

Ryan's portal buggy: Again, I don't know the rig but there a few thousand variables in setting up a buggy, esp. one with portals. Portals are kind of cool as they give a LOT of ground clearance, but are a horrible pain for packaging and height issues. Was Bret driving Ryan's portal buggy or was he your buddy with the F*rd and Rocks or someone else you have dancing around in your head?

Yoda can walk and use the force so he shouldn't have much trouble with anything at all.

Ed's little blue buggy. Again, no real frame of reference, but I'm going to assume he's built a buggy out of 1" pipe, a high pinion D30 front and a "super" D35 rear and is running 39" red label Krawlers. The stickies are the reason his rig works.

Glad to help :D

jinxspot

~ Bush Eater's Offroad ~
This is Ryan with the portal buggy (and a 111" wheelbase yota on 37's). For sure Waynes World favors the short wheel base, Im at 120" in the buggy and usually try to take a line on that obstical that gives me the most resistance for a personal challange. Once you have made the obsticles you can really just mess around on it to have fun and test different lines in your rig. Its all about personal enjoyment of the sport, if ya wanna take a hard line you can, if you wanna bypass something and watch others you can, if you want to give it a little HP Bump...ya can. Also, Im into the little sport we call "Rock Crawling" and will almost always just try to creep the obstical in as low a gear as I can. Another thing is I have only had that buggy for a couple months and am really really trying to get used to it. So def driver skill with a new rig is something that I have to work on (and if you can't tell I try to get on and just hit the trails as much as possible for that very reason)

Brets carb is what I think was killing him on waynes world, he needed to be able to keep it running a tad bit better on the technical stuff so he could work the steering and tires placement. Plus having super wide wheel track doesn't help very much on that obstical either since the front tires neeed to climb out of the top over a pretty big ledge on the passenger side.

Also, with Eddies buggy he knows the rig super well, in addition HE DOES RUN STICKIES... thats a HUGE HUGE deal in our sport now. The quote I heard form Easter Jeep Safari this year was "stickies are like haveing lockers for the first time".

As for Eagles Nest, that obstical is SUPER SUPER hard from what ive seen and heard locally (most people will never make it in their life and are super cool with that aspect)... and I will say it def favors a longer wheelbase and minimum of 35" tires (typically 39's and up without pillng rocks cause the undercut like 6string said can be detromental to your axles). Yes there may have been rocks piled in it his past weekend, but most of the rigs that went up still had to horse power thru the climb. For me I will keep trying to crawl it since thats how I enjoy to wheel things. On every obstical the challenge is what really gives me the wheeling thrill inside, other times if Im on a new trail I just want to go start to finish to say I did the trail, then the next time around I will start taking harder lines or trying to just crawl obsticals that I had to throttle thru.

Last edited:

driver920

i agree with you ryan about the CRAWLING aspect of the sport i do understand the personal challenge and i was in no way picking on you like i said looking at the crawle ratio you have and the set up of that buggy i guess ........... again in my mind you should drive that as easy as driving over a curb ........ of that is a bit of a simpilfacation but you know what i mean i used you and ed in my example because as much as you two are on the trail i assumed most people would know you

gorillaxj

Always building hardly wheeling
I am no expert by any means, relativly new to the sport. But I have noticed that anything full width seams to struggle on WW as it narrows past the first ledge.

EN seams to be a big tire and wheel base obstacle... but was blown away when AX10TOY made it look easy on 35's and a shorter wheel base (about 105-107ish?)

But as stated above me, the line and throttle can change a lot. ^ they know more then me lol

jinxspot

~ Bush Eater's Offroad ~
Its totally cool talking about this subject and using me as an example. I know you were not picking on anyone and I would never take offense to talking technical aspects about a sport I love. I feel I can always learn more about many different topics everytime I go out and from all the articles I read here.

I thought it was super cool that you guys actually take the rigs out and wheel them the way you do.... most people would not want to attempt the obsticles we do, let alone in a full bodied rig on 52's.

Eddies Buggy:
4.3L/TH-400/D300 4-1/60's/Maxxis 40 Stickies/4link F&R/Fox Air Shocks

[video=youtube_share;-FeNDOLl0Ew]http://youtu.be/-FeNDOLl0Ew[/video]

Ryan's Buggy:
4.0L/NV4500/Atlas 4sp/404 Portals/Pitbull 42's/4link F&R/Biltstein Coilovers

[video=youtube_share;ZH57eUOK0QE]http://youtu.be/ZH57eUOK0QE[/video]

Last edited:

jeeper

I live my life 1 dumpster at a time
My very first time on WW in my jeep xj with open diffs, bald 33' tires, mild lift I walked right up it. I don't think I even spun a tire. My buddy didn't get it on video so I backed down, and tried again... for about an hour....and never made it up. I did end up with some rocker damage, missing exhaust pipe and busted tail light.
Since then I have also tried rear locker, better tires, and still no go. Now have front and rear locker and will give it another shot

sixstringsteve

A lot of new guys see a huge, well-built rig and assume it can climb anything it's pointed at. Now you know, big tire size doesn't guarantee someone will make it up an obstacle. Every vehicle has to be driven differently, and every rig requires a slightly different line, and some are great on some obstacles and terrible on others. That's what makes it so cool, it actually takes skill to climb everything, rather than just pointing and shooting. A lot of guys get hung up on what the "best" axles are, or what the "best" motor is for rockcrawling. There is no one best. Some rigs are definitely better than others for certain obstacles, but a big buggy isn't always best. Ryan's got skill, no doubt about that. The more time he gets with that rig the more he'll be able to make it do exactly what he wants it to.

Not related to ryan or his rig, but a good driver can make it up some crazy stuff in a small rig. Stuff that a bad driver in a big rig can't make it up. I have a lot of respect for guys who can take less-built rigs through very technical sections; there's a lot to be said for that. Kids who drive their dad's $80k buggy and have no skill but still make it up obstacle because their rig is so built do not impress me even a little bit. However, I do have mad respect for the guys who can engineer and design a great buggy and have the driving skills to back it up and make the impossible look possible.

Last edited:

eddie d

Ok guys this may be a stupid question but i have been watching video of waynes world and eagles nest and I am trying to decide just what is going on. There are trucks out there, that in my mind should just walk up as long as you are even close to a line. For some reason they either fail to make it or take a very long time to make it. Then there are the ones, that again in my mind should maybe have a bit of a problem with it but shoot right up. Now i am not picking on anyone but examples would be my buddies truck 76 ford 2 1/2 ton GMC's on 52 inche tractor tires detroits front and back. I have been wheeling with him forever and this truck has always been a point and shoot kinda truck. Again not picking on anyone but ryans portal buggy again in my mind that thing should walk up WW the way it is set up with out spinning a tire. When bret tried it there was absolutely NO dought in my mind he would walk over it and when he failed i was shocked. Then the first time i every took the yoda up there walked right over. Ed's little blue buggy most of the video i have watched he walks all over it at will so i guess what i am asking is, what are the biggest factors in WW and EN would it be wheelbase, width, weight, or a combination of the three, or am i missing something?

After reading that, you make some assumptions that I know who your buddy is with the the 76 Ford, 2.5 ton axles and 52 tractor tires. You fail to mention if he makes it easily or has issues. You do say it's a "point and shoot" type of truck so I'm assuming he makes it look easy? I would guess the factor for that rig to be tire circumference/rolling resistance.

Ryan's portal buggy: Again, I don't know the rig but there a few thousand variables in setting up a buggy, esp. one with portals. Portals are kind of cool as they give a LOT of ground clearance, but are a horrible pain for packaging and height issues. Was Bret driving Ryan's portal buggy or was he your buddy with the F*rd and Rocks or someone else you have dancing around in your head?

Yoda can walk and use the force so he shouldn't have much trouble with anything at all.

Ed's little blue buggy. Again, no real frame of reference, but I'm going to assume he's built a buggy out of 1" pipe, a high pinion D30 front and a "super" D35 rear and is running 39" red label Krawlers. The stickies are the reason his rig works.

my buggy aint built from one inch pipe and dont run d30 and d35 i helped u once when u was broke wish i hadnt

eddie d

my buggy aint built from one inch pipe and dont run d30 and d35 i helped u once when u was broke wish i hadnt

eddie d

ww is a star way if ur wheelbase makes u clime 2 steps at the same time then u will struggle short has a hard time with the first step but gose up the next 2 step good i think its mostly wheelbase but if u get to wide its hard 2

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member

Uh, sorry.... (I thought most of my post would be "tongue in cheek" as the original post was quite difficult to read and quite non-descript about WHO he was talking about...not all of us know all of the others of us on a first name basis?)

AX10TOY

Undecided
It also comes down to knowing your rig in my case I do not have dual cases so I can't really try to crawl ww or the nest , When I do get the duals I will not stop trying to crawl every obstacle out there, And I also believe that if you have smaller than 37" tire on the nest you do have to stack some rocks that under cut will make you wish you did but on the bigger tires it shouldn't be an issue . The width of the rig also plays a big part, It's how it all works together :)

bschroeder

It also depends on the day. I have been out there plenty of times and walked right up ww. The next try I had to get on the skinny peddle, sometimes gear oil, and other fluids get spilled and it changes everytime.

Herzog

somewhat damaged
Admin

You realize he was guessing who "Ed" was and how his buggy was built as he didn't know the post was referring to you, right? Mbryson is not the type of guy to actually bash on somebody.

Gravy

Ant Anstead of Dirtbikes
Supporting Member
Eddie's buggy flat out works and he isn't afraid of much, and he's a good driver.

WW is and Eagles Nest are interesting obstacles that favor different rigs, and driving styles.
WW can defeat the best rigs and make little XJ's look like rock stars.
I can shoot WW almost anytime, wet or dry but I've broke more stuff on Eagles Nest than I care to admit.
Almost anyone can pile a ton of rocks and make WW or Eagles Nest. I'd wager (with no rocks at the bottom) Eagles Nest is one of the hardest obstacles in the the state and is nearly impossible with a tire smaller than a 37.
I have too low of a belly and I need to boatside my rig for Eagle's Nest.