Ways to boost performance/mpg out of a stock 4runner with 22re motor?

Rot Box

Diesel and Dust
Assuming everything is squared away and properly tuned in...

Enlarging the exhaust pipe diameter will help a wee bit, but typically proper gearing will make the biggest improvement when it comes to fuel mileage and power. I have never been a believer in bolt on performance mods (power or mileage) when it comes to the R-series. The headers, aftermarket carbs and/or chips, cams etc usually give power at one RPM and take from another. In my mind it is a motor that is best left alone unless you want to dump some serious cash into it but it could just be me :D

sixstringsteve

X2.

A 3rz swap will get you Slightly better mileage And a lot more power. If you want good pg and reliability, get a Civic or a corolla.

Kevin B.

Not often wrong. Never quite right.
I know a guy that spent about 4k over and above the cost of his motor, went nuts on the LCE catalog with a built head, exhaust headers, K&N FIPK, the works. His 22RE makes about 150 hp.

Guess how much the 3VZE and 3RZ make? :D

Last edited:

sixstringsteve

I know a guy that spent about 4k over and above the cost of his motor, went nuts on the LCE catalog with a build heat, exhaust headers, K&N FIPK, the works. His 22RE makes about 150 hp.

Guess how much the 3VZE and 3RZ make? :D

specs on paper aren't the same as real-world. Drive both, they sure don't feel like the same power ration. Plus, factor in reliability. The 3RZ is WAY more reliable, even after you fix the headgasket on a 3VZE. Since this thread is about MPG, the 3RZ is the better option. Plus, who would swap a 3VZE into a 22RE rig? If you're going to go through the cost and trouble of an engine swap, do one that makes a difference. For MPG, I think the 3RZ makes the most sense, followed by the 5FZ. I've owned 3 rigs with the 5FZ and as much as I like that motor, I like the 3RZ a lot more.

Last edited:

Kevin B.

Not often wrong. Never quite right.
specs on paper aren't the same as real-world. Drive both, you'll see the difference.

I haven't driven either, I'll take your word for it. My point is that the guy could have gotten his 150hp a lot cheaper. The 22RE is a great motor, but power and mileage are not it's strong points, and dumping money in it is like polishing a turd... you end up with a shiny turd.

sixstringsteve

I haven't driven either, I'll take your word for it. My point is that the guy could have gotten his 150hp a lot cheaper. The 22RE is a great motor, but power and mileage are not it's strong points, and dumping money in it is like polishing a turd... you end up with a shiny turd.

agreed. However, it sounds like he's more into MPG than HP, so a 3.0 would be a step in the wrong direction. A 22re should get 20 mpg no problem in a stock rig. With the exception of a bone stock tracker or a diesel swap, it's impractical to expect more than 20 MPG out of a true 4x4 with 4lo.

UVRUGBY

Don't waste the money on building up the motor, the thing wrong with the 22re, and the 3vze is that they have terrible circulation, they can't breath. The headers are extremely strict going into a even more strict exhaust. If you are going to dump a lot of money into the engine, then go with a land cruiser or Mercedes diesel swap, more power, better gas mileage, and more reliable.

SUPERFLY

CaptainRob
7m, lexus v8, or 3.4 swap and never look back. it will be cheaper, 2-4 times more power, get better milage and more reliable than building a 22re.

22re=joke

diesel would be sick(ive always wanted a 84-88 hilux diesel 4 door) but toyota parts are hard to find, and in my experiance with mercedes diesel swaps (did one on a gwagon) they are more work than you think and very gutless in the end(but all and all reliable)

airmanwilliams

7m, lexus v8, or 3.4 swap and never look back. it will be cheaper, 2-4 times more power, get better milage and more reliable than building a 22re.

22re=joke

diesel would be sick(ive always wanted a 84-88 hilux diesel 4 door) but toyota parts are hard to find, and in my experiance with mercedes diesel swaps (did one on a gwagon) they are more work than you think and very gutless in the end(but all and all reliable)

I was following Dallons lexas swap into his 4door 4runner for awhile and it just seemed like one headache after another. Is the 3.4 swap in the most populer in these 1st gens

airmanwilliams

Have any of you toyota guys tossed around the idea of the 7mgte supra motor swap? There is one on ksl right now thats not completely finished and after getting on youtube to search for videos of this swap its got me excited and I dont have a 4runner yet.

iamsparticus

Take your Rig to the Edge
robby is the man to talk to on the 7mgte swap, the only really gains on a 22re is the exhaust and you have to do the whole exahust other than that id change the motor is you want more brandon. i got 24 mpg's with my 3.0L V6 and so has my father in-law so if your looking for cheap and no mod go with a 90 to 95 truck with the V6, if you want to swap out the motor they are still great canidates

airmanwilliams

robby is the man to talk to on the 7mgte swap, the only really gains on a 22re is the exhaust and you have to do the whole exahust other than that id change the motor is you want more brandon. i got 24 mpg's with my 3.0L V6 and so has my father in-law so if your looking for cheap and no mod go with a 90 to 95 truck with the V6, if you want to swap out the motor they are still great canidates

The 90-95 3.0L are the ones ive hear NUMEROUS negativity about with the head gasket, ball joints and more. I definately like the 4doors of the later 4runners which is whats made me hold onto the sidekick this long but I really like the ability of folding the seat down in the 1st gen and using it as an actual pickup and camping in the back of the 4runner.

sixstringsteve

If not, it's close. If you go into it planning a 3.4 swap, though, get a later model with the 3.0 - the swap from 3.0 to 3.4 is almost plug and play.

x2.

Typically, if you have a 22re it's easiest to swap to a 4cyl 2.7L (3rz). If you have a 3.0 it's easiest to swap to a 3.4L. I agree with kevin, if you're planning on a motor swap anyway, get a 4runner with a blown 3.0. They're a dime a dozen, and they have the stronger tranny and diffs. And a 3.4L is easier to swap into a 3.0 than a 22re.