We Be Jeepin Pritchett

surgeryturtle

RedRoxx
Since several of us are leading and/or gunning Pritchett Canyon during the upcoming Easter Jeep Safari, we thought it would be a good idea to pre-run it as well as to fix one of the winch anchors on Chewy that was damaged last fall. As the sun was shining once again in Moab, a large group showed up for the run.

We aired down in the canyon and were soon underway!

Tim, from Park City, joined us in his stock JK Rubicon and lost his tail light on this first obstacle.

Rick in Flipper was out and, as usual, was eager to take the hard line.

Gary, Jim, and Jeff went ahead to begin work on the winch anchor. It was repaired quickly and then some attention was given to the fence that usually gets torn down several times per year. A little welding and it was "good as new".

Now it was time for some Chewy fun. Susan tested out the stability of her new and improved WMNDRVR. She took the highest, tippiest line out there and looks like she's out driving a country lane. No problem.

James was out today as well and made quick work of Chewy. Don't think he's not without fear though....stay tuned.

Poor Tim had a few issues with approach angles. Once he got on an obstacle he did well, it was just the combination of small tires and a big plastic bumper. He did his best to knock it off but without luck. I will have to say that after he got onto Chewy, he drove it spot on with a nice big wheel lift at the end. I was spotting so didn't get a photo. Hopefully he'll send me a couple and I'll add them in.

After Chewy, we enjoyed a sunny drive over towards Rocker Knocker but stopped for some optional fun along the way.

Rick chose the highest line down in this boulder field. Yes, he's really that side-ways.

Then over to this optional obstacle. Susan is having a blast!

Jim is having some fun too.

A wheel lift and a smile. After he got back on the right line, he came right on up.

I was first up Rocker Knocker and snapped this photo of everyone lining up for the obstacle.

Here goes James. Getting scared yet?

Rick's truck likes tippy!

Here's Jeff giving it a go as well.

Now over to Axle Hill. Here's a video of Tim climbing Axle Hill. The perspective of how steep it is is hard to see until the wheel lift happens.....

[youtube]REUbzwY7U5k&feature=related[/youtube]

Whoa Rick! Not a good place to flip over.....all is well.

Now for some Rock Pile Videos. Most of us made it, we just had to fight it a bit. Susan made her first attempt ever and decided to choose a strap with some man power help on the other end. Not too bad!

[youtube]nphCzCasD18[/youtube]
[youtube]nOPOKpzq3Ao[/youtube]

Here comes Tim up Yellow Hill! Well done.

More coming....stay tuned.

Last edited:

surgeryturtle

RedRoxx
Since it was only 1:00pm, we decided for Hunter Canyon.

There's lots of rocky fun in this canyon as well.

Don't get your rear wheel down in that hole.

Towards the end of the trail and Tim has a "bit" of damage. The bumper is a bit trashed and the tail light is gone but I think they had fun anyway. At the air up spot, Tim put the tail light assembly back on and it worked. Good enough to get him back to Park City.

Over to White Knuckle Hill! Go Jim Go!

Allen crawled it. Way too easy for this big truck with sticky tires.....
James, however, could not climb White Knuckle. He tried and tried, hitting from the left, middle, and right, often sticking half way up the obstacle and sometimes sliding off with some wheel lifting. It must have been a traumatic and scary event. I usually say, "what could Jim possibly be thinking?" but this time I'm going to ask "what was James thinking?"

Ummmm....well, 'enuf said. Go home and change your pants James, you're running with the big dogs now.

Thanks all and see ya on the trail.
Melissa

sixstringsteve

thanks for the awesome report.

James, the fact that you peed your pants and you kept on driving it speaks volumes. you got way more huevos than me. I'll be down there in a month, I'll make sure I hit a trail with ya james.

zukijames

i hate white knuckle with every ounce of hate my body has in it.. it was my best run ive ever had through pritchett everything first try . minus backing up once to get some wheel spin for chewy.

was having a great day thought for sure id make white knuckle.. didnt even come close like mentioned above.. a few wheel lifts but i felt comfortable but im just too long or too low!

im going to take a jack hammer to that stupid obstical!

ret32

Great trip report! I subscribe to your blog and enjoy your detailed trip reports on there, I look forward to them every week. Thanks for sharing on here as well. Thanks also for all the service projects you do down there. The rest of us owe you big time for the work you all do to keep the Moab area trails open. Keep it up!

zukijames

steve ask mike why i peed my pants . it wasnt from being scared of prichett it was being scared on the way to pritchett..( i had a talk with some sheriff the day before about not being street legal.. cant seem to remeber his name) the drive to prichett was the scarriest part by far..

lewis

Fight Till You Die
Thats the tree that ripped off my cb antenna last time I was there.

Thanks for the report and the laugh, got my whole family laughing.

Last edited:

surgeryturtle

RedRoxx
I'm glad everyone got a laugh out of this. I'm pretty sure that the accident was a spilled soft drink but thanks James for playing along!

Hunter Canyon is a turn off to the left about 2 miles past the end of Pritchett Canyon on the county road. It runs South East and comes out at the bottom of White Knuckle hill on Behind the Rocks trail. It's a nice alternative if you want more carnage instead of a bumpy county road.

Also, cool on registering for the Monday run Bart. That will be Jeff, Susan, and Jim on that one. I lead on Sunday with Gary Lee and Jeff. Jim leads on Thursday with Gary Lee and myself. Have fun!