Web wheeling / what would you build

lenny

formerly known as PokeyYJ
I have managed to talk my wife into letting me get a project vehicle, hooray! I have some ideas of what I want to do but I am open to suggestions as to what vehicle to get.

I want the rig to be pre 1983 so that I can register it with vintage plates.
I am going to limit myself to 4000 for the project at this stage, understanding that whatever I end up with probably will not be too pretty for that cheap amount.
I don't want any crazy odd ball projects like a Datsun 510 on a samurai frame or anything like that.
I would like something that is decently capable, i.e. be able to run trails like Golden Spike.
It will have to be street legal and driveable because I don't have a tow rig.

So with those limiters in mind I have started looking at rigs. I like the idea of a full size rig because they have the v8 engine already and generally have stronger drivetrain. But I also like the idea of a CJ or Scout due to their smaller size and easy to modify chassis.

I am thinking maybe a full size bronco, find one for 2500 ish, use the other 1500 to get it reliable and clean it up a bit. Seems like many of them already have lifts installed, so I could buy tires with the left over money and cut fenders to clear.

Or find a CJ that already has 33-35's on it for more initial buy in and just use it as is.

I also have thought if I expanded my age range a bit newer I could find a CUCV and throw some 37's on it

What would you build?

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
Scouts are cool, unique, V8's and the prices are not too out of whack. I'm a big fan of the early FS Bronco, V8 and relatively rare. Look at FJ60's, not going to be V8 (factory anyways) but they are rock-solid rigs, clean ones are likely going to be double your budget but if you don't mind cosmetic issues you can score a rusty runner for $1500'ish. More than anything, get what you want... not what others want ;)

lenny

Scouts are cool, unique, V8's and the prices are not too out of whack. I'm a big fan of the early FS Bronco, V8 and relatively rare. Look at FJ60's, not going to be V8 (factory anyways) but they are rock-solid rigs, clean ones are likely going to be double your budget but if you don't mind cosmetic issues you can score a rusty runner for $1500'ish. More than anything, get what you want... not what others want ;)

I hadn't thought about the 60's but they would be cool. Axles and drivetrain are good for what? 35's ? There are a couple of really cool 40's on ksl right now that caught my eye too, there is a 69 that looks all original and not terribly rusty haha

Kevin B.

Not often wrong. Never quite right.
If I were going to build something to replace my Runner, it'd be a 60-series or early Bronco for sure. Big fan of both those trucks.

Rock Taco

I didn't see were you said if you need a certain number of seats. I would probably do a FJ40 if only needing a couple of seats. If I needed more I would go with a Scout, Scrambler, early Bronco. All of those might be a challenge to do in your budget.

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
I hadn't thought about the 60's but they would be cool. Axles and drivetrain are good for what? 35's ? There are a couple of really cool 40's on ksl right now that caught my eye too, there is a 69 that looks all original and not terribly rusty haha

Drive train is good up to 35's and beyond, the exception being birf joints. Plenty run them with 35's for years and never have an issue, but with a locked front and rocks they can/do/will break. No different than any other light SUV joint really. Motor, trans & t-case are bulletproof. 40's are their own unique beast, your not going to get far getting one trail worthy on a $1500 budget, they are rock solid rigs but anything in the $2500 range is either going to be completely rusty or not running and will need some love. When running driving, they are ready to circle the globe.

lenny

I didn't see were you said if you need a certain number of seats. I would probably do a FJ40 if only needing a couple of seats. If I needed more I would go with a Scout, Scrambler, early Bronco. All of those might be a challenge to do in your budget.

Only need seats for my wife and I. So I don't have any limits for that area. Scrambler would be awesome but not sure I could find one in my price range

lenny

Drive train is good up to 35's and beyond, the exception being birf joints. Plenty run them with 35's for years and never have an issue, but with a locked front and rocks they can/do/will break. No different than any other light SUV joint really. Motor, trans & t-case are bulletproof. 40's are their own unique beast, your not going to get far getting one trail worthy on a $1500 budget, they are rock solid rigs but anything in the $2500 range is either going to be completely rusty or not running and will need some love. When running driving, they are ready to circle the globe.

Do you think I would be able to find a driveable 40 for 4,000?

mombobuggy

I think the 81 Toyota that Tnels is selling is worth considering it has a v8 a nice exo cage and a ton of potential. He just dropped the price to $3500 way cheap for a truck with so many upgrades.

iamsparticus

Take your Rig to the Edge
my vote would be a early bronco with the 302, convert to fuel injection with a mega squirt system and build the axles and transfercase, or a 1983 or older toyota with a V8 swap and built axles

zukijames

i like my current vehicle. i wish i could stick in a nice japanese turbo diesel V8 or a TDV8 from the European Range Rover with a 8 speed automatic transmission.

I vote for a disco 1

paid 1000 for mine and 500 for the tires
20$ in material for sliders
cut front bumper
had the rear bumper already
welded rear diff
drove to Moab with heat/ac/radio got 16 mpg

did steel bender twice, flat iron Mesa, prichett canyon(had to be winched 3 times)hells revenge with hells gate, greenday at area bfe(took easy lines)

done snakes, mineral basin , forest lake , lots of snow wheeling trips

and still has under 100000 miles on it

LT.

I like your CUCV idea the best. I think for the money and drive train they will be tough to beat. I like the blazer over the bronco because parts are always cheper for a chevy than the same parts for the ford.

But, i am a huge fan of building something more out of the ordanary. How about an early model dodge? Maybe a swept line or something like that. I could also really geek out on a fj-55 build. I have not seen many of them and perhaps it would be the best yet.

LT.

lenny

I vote for a disco 1

paid 1000 for mine and 500 for the tires
20$ in material for sliders
cut front bumper
had the rear bumper already
welded rear diff
drove to Moab with heat/ac/radio got 16 mpg

did steel bender twice, flat iron Mesa, prichett canyon(had to be winched 3 times)hells revenge with hells gate, greenday at area bfe(took easy lines)

done snakes, mineral basin , forest lake , lots of snow wheeling trips

and still has under 100000 miles on it

I have had a few discos and really enjoyed them however I want to try something a bit different this time