Webhost

waynehartwig

www.jeeperman.com
My year with Bluehost is coming up and I'm seriously considering a change. The only way you can get to anyone is by phone. They don't check their emails for days and by then the problem is gone. Website goes down often for no apparent reason. All I hear from them is they are checking on it. And not to mention that dang CPU usage thing!!!!!!!!! That has got to be the biggest reason I want out.

Anyway, with that said, what are some good ones? Anyone know anything about StartLogic?

78mitsu

I host websites myself, I don't really need a hosting service. A friend of mine uses them, he seems pretty happy with the performance.

Rusted

Let's Ride!
Supporting Member
I had a site hosted with them for about a year. Quit because the site did not do well not because of the service. I never had any technical issues that I can think of while with them. What I had worked. Here is my only complaint....

I signed up right before they announced and went to their "grid-system". The server my site was hosted from had on older version of php and mysql. I requested to be moved to a server that was updated, but since I was not on the new system they would not help me. Basically they decided to not support the old servers with any updated, and they wanted to charge me extra to migrate onto the new "grid-system". For me it meant that I was not able to upgrade my software (mySql was really old on their system) and that was frustrating.

I would just advise that you ask up front what version of php and mySql you will be getting. If you sign up for the grid program you will probably be fine. They may not allow any more users to be added to the non grid.

Over all I liked them and would recommend them, however I did not have an extensive history with them. I liked their control panel, and support areas. I can't ever recall not getting prompt service or having any down time at all that was not scheduled. When they started the grid service my site was down for a few hours, but they had notified me of that well in advance and stayed within their maintenance window, so I was ok with that.

waynehartwig

www.jeeperman.com
I've heard good things about MediaTemple, infact I almost switched to them but I was looking for a Virtual Server and they were kind pricey for their Virtual Servers.

I'd like to have their VS package, but I can't run my own server, so I better stick with their shared setup.

I liked the grid system that they say they have going... Sounds like it might use more CPU/connectivity power, though (cuz they are constantly updating)... But I sent them an email. If my site will work on their system, I'll most likely start switching over.

waynehartwig

www.jeeperman.com
I had a site hosted with them for about a year. Quit because the site did not do well not because of the service. I never had any technical issues that I can think of while with them. What I had worked. Here is my only complaint....

I signed up right before they announced and went to their "grid-system". The server my site was hosted from had on older version of php and mysql. I requested to be moved to a server that was updated, but since I was not on the new system they would not help me. Basically they decided to not support the old servers with any updated, and they wanted to charge me extra to migrate onto the new "grid-system". For me it meant that I was not able to upgrade my software (mySql was really old on their system) and that was frustrating.

I would just advise that you ask up front what version of php and mySql you will be getting. If you sign up for the grid program you will probably be fine. They may not allow any more users to be added to the non grid.

Over all I liked them and would recommend them, however I did not have an extensive history with them. I liked their control panel, and support areas. I can't ever recall not getting prompt service or having any down time at all that was not scheduled. When they started the grid service my site was down for a few hours, but they had notified me of that well in advance and stayed within their maintenance window, so I was ok with that.

Hmmmm They also have this grid container thing for the MYSQL stuff? I'm not sure....

78mitsu

I started working on some code yesterday for a K-window parallel computing model for a service driven architecture, the 'Grid' model is pretty cool, but mine is better ;)

waynehartwig

www.jeeperman.com
Well Media Temple returned my call yesterday. Seems that if I went there, I would have to go with their virtual dedicated server. I wouldn't be able to get a dedicated IP on their grid server.

Their DV server package is $500 a year for 20 gig, 256 mb ram and 1t of bandwidth. I could resell a portion of my resources to others to make up some of the cost - if I wanted to. The resources are gauranteed and if the other DV servers on my server are idle, I can use 100% of the resources - same with them. Doesn't really sound like too bad of a deal, but it is roughly 5 times more than I'm paying right now.

On the one DV server, I can have up to 30 domains running without buying an additional license. This is good for me as I have about 10 right now - all forward to alljeep.com, though and aren't being 'used' at this time. Future? Most likely...

Each DV comes with a bunch of software preloaded, so I wouldn't have to figure out to load any to make my site work. They also take snap shots of my server and I can revert back to any version I want at anytime. Say I try something and it mucks it up, I can go back instantly. I can also go back to it's original 'just moved in' state if I wanted.

I asked about the software versions and they are current, for the most part. He said I can update any or all if I want, but they recommend these versions as they are tested and known to be stable/safe.

Each DV also has full root access so I can install anything I want on there or?

Here is their followup email...

The (dv) Dedicated-Virtual solutions utilize a patent pending, state-of-the-art server technology that transforms a single physical server into a Multi-Tenant environment, that provisions several "virtual private servers", with guaranteed resources. Another feature of importance is the integration of a "Burst Technology" that allows unused resources within the Multi-Tenant environment to be utilized by other "active" tenants, so potentially, at a given time, your performance may exceed your resource capability, and it will certainly never be less than your guaranteed resource allocation. Additionally, the (dv) Dedicated-Virtual Server provides you with root access to install your own applications.

We also include the Plesk 8.2 Control Panel software with a 30 domain license. Additional licenses can be obtained once your initial 30 licenses have been utilized. The 70 license upgrade is $29.95 more monthly and the Unlimited Plesk Control Panel license upgrade is $49.95 more monthly. A demo of the Plesk Control Panel software can be seen at this location: http://www.swsoft.com/en/products/plesk/demo/

Additionally, three dozen Flash tutorials are made available at this link: http://www.swsoft.com/en/products/plesk/tutorials/, that will mitigate your learning curve and facilitate getting you acclimated to the control panel's features and functionality.

The server also comes with 1 IP address. Additional IP's are available for $1 each per month.

Please visit the (dv) Dedicated-Virtual Server product pages for more info:
http://www.mediatemple.net/webhosting/dv/

Here is a link to our Tech Specs:

http://www.mediatemple.net/webhosting/dv/techspecs.htm

So... Opinions?? I know Crawl Magazine uses their DV setup and their site is fast. www.timbercrawler.com is renting space from Crawl and their DV server and is also very fast - pictures come up instantly. For 5x's the money, it might really be worth it to have a much faster website?

Rusted

Let's Ride!
Supporting Member
On the one DV server, I can have up to 30 domains running without buying an additional license. This is good for me as I have about 10 right now - all forward to alljeep.com, though and aren't being 'used' at this time. Future? Most likely...

You and do all of your domain forwarding with DNS. I would do it that way, let it take care of all the redirects, and you only need 1 running.

waynehartwig

www.jeeperman.com
You and do all of your domain forwarding with DNS. I would do it that way, let it take care of all the redirects, and you only need 1 running.

I believe that's how it is now. I was reffering to if I ever turned them into their own individual live sites.

Herzog

somewhat damaged
Admin
I use these guys: Hostmonster - I don't run a business site like you, but I've had no issues and they're located right in Orem.

I believe they are a child company of Bluehost.com, who is also in Orem. I'm willing to bet they share datacenters.

RME is currently hosted at Bluehost and we have been very happy w/ the recent uptime and customer service.

waynehartwig

www.jeeperman.com
I believe they are a child company of Bluehost.com, who is also in Orem. I'm willing to bet they share datacenters.

RME is currently hosted at Bluehost and we have been very happy w/ the recent uptime and customer service.

Correct... Even the same phone numbers.

I don't see how you could be happy with them after them making you get a dedicated server to stop the CPU limit thing - and then still having it after you paid for the upgrade. Personally, that would have pissed me off to no extent and I would have dumped them instantly and moved over to a free host in the meantime. Granted I haven't seen it happen for a while, but you also spent a lot of time optimizing the website - I wonder if now it would work on their basic system like you had in the beginning? When making posts sometimes, I do get a 'database error'. I simply hit the 'back' button and repost. Most of the time I don't have to do it twice.

My site was with Sitelutions for about 3 years and I never had any issues with the website not functioning properly. Their support when the server woudl go down was horrible. To talk to a live person, you had to pay for it. Etc.

Bluehost is just as bad. Except you can call free anytime you want. But they have limited people working, so if there are outages, you could be on hold for a long time. Their firewall also keeps blocking good IP's for no reason - mine included! They take several days to answer any email questiosn; so don't send your current issues that way! If they had better support and disabled that &^*^&*15% CPU thingie I would be happy with them.