Website Help

Shawn

Just Hanging Out
So I would like to build a website and I know 0, nada, nothing about how to do this. Can anyone give me some help on where to start, what to do, and how to do it. Trust me, when it comes to this topic I know nothing... :( If you are willing to help me, maybe we can work something out..

Let me know,

Thanks,

Webby

Official Cutie Pie
I like to build websites

I don't build websites for a living ... but I do build my own. I use lots of scripts to do what I want. But you have to be careful with this. Say you use Phpnuke to build your site (www.hautnedwebby.com) .. it can and will be hacked. It's only a 5 min fix at most, but a pain! So watch out if you go with that platform. The only advantage with something like this (a CMS) is that most of the popular applications for websites are bundled together.

I have my Jeep site at www.jeepwebby.com ... simple and to the point. Pictures and a guest map. That's all

Then I have my Genenalogy website ... www.clan-history.com ... it's also a script that builds the pages. Lots of cross linked information about my family history. This was done with a paid for script.

Then I have my current project. A Halloween Prop site I've been working on the past few days (when I have time) www.halloweenbuilders.com On here I have a links area, guest map, forum the communicates with my email list (and vise vera). Right now I'm working on a script that will showcase the props that people build with pictures and descriptions.

It's not hard to learn the basic stuff like HTML. Scripts take a little more time. Places like www.hotscripts.com have free and pay scripts to do almost anything you want.

A domain name cost around $9 a year. Hosting can range from free to as much as you'd like. I pay $49.95 per year for my web hosting and email (www.handsonwebhosting.com).

Herzog

somewhat damaged
Admin
You need webspace... (server / shared web hosting) usually runs between $5.00 and up to as much as $40 per month (depending on the webhost; features; etc...)

You need a domain name (example: www.shawnisawesome.com)

and you need to know html or have an editor (program) that will help arrange the content for you.

:)

I too can help you with any of this. ;)

Rickomatic

Grey is cool!
Everything said here is correct. There are free programs that you can download to edit HTML. You can even find a few site that cover the basics and you can set up a site using Notepad. I can help out as little or as much as you need.

my4thjeep

I am a full time webmaster.

Before you start, ask yourself some questions...

1 What is the purpose of the site?
Kicks and giggles or to make money

2. Who is my audience?
Who is looking at the site and why Friends and family or professionals who are looking for products and services

2. What kind of budget do I have?
It sometimes takes money to make money or even just show off

3. Who is going to maintain the site?
Yourself or a pro

Determine your end goal. If its just to show off photos there are options or if you want to start an online business there are other ways of doing it.

There are nice sites that cost little or nothing except for hard work. There are incredible turds that cost a fortune. There are a ton of options depending upon where you want to go.

Blogging has become popular and for the beginner are an easy way to get up and running fast with a website. They usually have backend interfaces that are similar to posting on this forum.

Feel free to post your answers and I can help in public for the benefit of all or if you want to pm me I would be happy to help out.

WildYoats

Shawn,

For what it's worth, I know nothing about web stuff (or at least didn't) back when I started Wild Yoats. I learned on my own.

As a recommendation, I would suggest NOT using Front Page (unless they have drastically improved it). I use Front Page 2000 and it's been an adventure.

Good luck.

BTW, Mr. Herzog, seen your Flash intro's, they rock. Might have you make one for me.

way2nosty

waynehartwig said:
Dreamweaver is also a nice tool to create/update your website. It's treated me very well with my website.....

Contribute is pretty cool too, if you want a simple easy interface.

my4thjeep

There are webmaster boards just like this one.

http://www.sitepoint.com
http://www.webmasterworld.com
http://www.searchengineforums.com/

This is an interesting post on Top 10 Ways to Irritate Your Visitors. It relates to methods of coding and design that will hurt your site.
http://www.searchengineforums.com/a...s/forum::graphics/thread::264/action::thread/

I am a big fan of dreamweaver 8.
I also use HTML-KIT which is free and has a large group of open source developers.

I would strongly recommend learning HTML. It is very easy to learn and there are literally thousands of tutorials on the web.

I would also recommend making your site W3 compliant. They offer a free checking service at http://validator.w3.org/

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
WildYoats said:
Shawn,

For what it's worth, I know nothing about web stuff (or at least didn't) back when I started Wild Yoats. I learned on my own.

As a recommendation, I would suggest NOT using Front Page (unless they have drastically improved it). I use Front Page 2000 and it's been an adventure.

Good luck.

BTW, Mr. Herzog, seen your Flash intro's, they rock. Might have you make one for me.

I would also suggest staying away from FrontPage.......

Shawn

Just Hanging Out
Thanks for all the replies. My wife will be rebuilding the website at her work (Jeremy Ranch) and can use all the input you guys are willing to give.

Thanks!!

Caleb

Just as an FYI WYSIWYG = "What You See is What You Get" :D

My best suggestion is deffinitely learn the code. HTML, PHP, etc as there are some things an editor just can't do.