Weed Control

Samersen

The family we bought our house from, ripped up the front sidewalk and replaced it with a really nice red brick path. It's really cool until the weeds come up in between the bricks. I want to get a torch weed remover but my wife is worried that it will mark the bricks. Has anyone used a torch before to remove weeds?

I Lean

Mbryson's hairdresser
Vendor
No torch, but I've been using rock salt in my park strips. (which are full of rocks) It took a few applications to get pretty effective, but I now rarely have weeds growing up between the rocks. If your brick path has lawn or something on each side of it, that may not be an option for you...

bryson

RME Resident Ninja
Supporting Member
I've used rock salt and had super crappy results. Several applications that were thick enough on the gravel that it looked like it had just hailed. Apparently I have very salt-tolerant weeds, because it didn't even slow them down.

zmotorsports

Hardcore Gearhead
Vendor
The farmer's field to the west of me seems to get overrun with weeds on the ditch bank and they start coming through my fence. Drives me Nucking Futs. A couple of years ago I spent a Saturday on the outside of my fence pulling weeds and digging them up. I then spread some granules of a product called Noxall that I bought @ Home Depot. It sterilizes the ground and is supposed to eliminate weeds for up to a year per application. I have found that by spreading some in the spring and then another small dosage in the fall prior to winter it works fantastic. Even the farmer stopped by and asked me last year what I was using as ours was the only house along that section of ditch that he didn't need to burn. Actually another reason I applied it as I didn't want him trying to burn the ditch and melt my fence.

Mike.