Weekend report (indy)

Snoopy

*Rock*Binder
Well my weekend was pretty boring, all except for Monday.

Late Friday and early Saturday I swapped out the rear springs in Snoopy, added bumpstops, new 16" travel shocks and repainted everything.
9-1b.jpg

9-1.jpg

Now thats freakin purdy!

EZRhino

KalishnaKitty
Hey Snoop, cool scout and nice pics too!

I keep seeing these metal poles and cable guardrails on theIndy trails. Tell us what that is all about. Do you know much about how that trail system got developed?

EZ

Herzog

somewhat damaged
Admin
Your scout is lookin really good!

I'd like to get over to colorado with you guys one of these days. You guys have some really cool trail systems going on over there. :cool:

Snoopy

*Rock*Binder
Originally posted by Herzog
I'd like to get over to colorado with you guys one of these days. You guys have some really cool trail systems going on over there. :cool:

Common down! Just let me know when you'll be in the neighborhood, we'll be happy to wheel with ya.

Snoopy

*Rock*Binder
Originally posted by EZRhino
I keep seeing these metal poles and cable guardrails on the Indy trails. Tell us what that is all about.
LIKE RATS WE ARE ~ THEY CAGE US IN! I-I-Its NOT FAIR! They throw us into the rocks and cage us in, only can get out through THEIR mazes, rocks and boulders. ITS TORCHER I tell you ~ ITS TORCHER!

But really, it seems that people have pushed the trail wider and wider in certain areas ~ to make it easier. So the gates keep people on the actual trail and keep Tire-erosion (SP) down. There were a few trees that were getting climbed to avoid large rocks, so its more protection than anything.

Do you know much about how that trail system got developed?
Um....not sure....Let me see. Some dude named Scott Riebel (the old President of the RockHoppers 4x4 group) found it near BrushHollow Res. ~ He then petitioned the BLM to open it as a trail. That was 4-5 years ago.

The RockHoppers adopted the trail and are still the *official* care takers, however Predator 4x4 and RockWare (both here in the Springs) seems to be the guys I find putting up the rails ~ weather it's under the RockHoppers direction or not, I don't know.

Its an interesting place, and if you don't know its there, you wouldn't find it easily. The BrushHollow Res is a favorite fishing hole in Penrose. The surrounding area is rolling hills. The actual trail looks like it was originally formed from rushing water (towards BrushHollow)....and eventually carved out a short crevises in the earth.

The Independance Trail System is made up of 3 main section, and one escape route. Here's a brief tour.

The main section of the trail ~ Called Independance starts with this rather steep and off-camber drop:
Image25.jpg

That drop takes place in just over a vehicle length and is, as depicted, taller than the guy standing in front of me.

It then snakes towards 'the WaterFalls', although this section is rather uneventful, there are lots of random boulder piles here and there.
Image30.jpg

Image77.jpg

Right before you get to "The Waterfalls" you're given one last chance for *freedom* via a sharp right hand climb (very easy). This is the only way out and it rightfully called "Freedom trail"...and simply returns you to the parking lot (less than 1/4 mile away).

If you choose to proceed, The WaterFalls are the next obstacle, they are 3 consecutive 3-4' drops, the first two are over a vehicle length apart, then you make a VERY sharp right and down the last one.
Image55.jpg

Image79.jpg

Image80.jpg

Here's a shot of the last drop-off
Image50.jpg

And thats pretty much the end of the first leg of the trail.

Last edited:

Snoopy

*Rock*Binder
Part 2

The crevis called Independance then meets two other crevises at a "Y" style junction called "Liberty" and "Patriot". Liberty is about 3/4 miles long and to the left. Its long and much more techincal than the first two. Definately easier as well. We didn't take that route today, but we did go up Patriot.

Its a shame I didn't take any pictures of the enterance of Patriot. If you didn't see the sign, you'd think it was blocked off, but in reality, its a 20 foot high climb over massive and abundant boulders. The 20 foot climb takes place over 40-50 feet, so its not like the climbs you see at UROC or RCAA events, but it does get you tied up.

Just after the climb you run into a ledge that cuts like a knife into the trail, it puts a tight squeeze on ya and the most popular line is to drive the front driver tire over the ledge, then plant the drivers RockSlider on it, cut tires left and pivot your rig on the ledge. Here's Snoopy as I was finishing the pivot
Image44.jpg

Then you cut the tires back right
Image45.jpg

~ which is follow'd by another cut left.
Image47.jpg

And then you find your self in the middle of the Air Hole, which by the way, is another cut right.
Image65.jpg

Floppy Hat

mbryson's hairdresser
Originally posted by Snoopy

But really, it seems that people have pushed the trail wider and wider in certain areas ~ to make it easier. So the gates keep people on the actual trail and keep Tire-erosion (SP) down. There were a few trees that were getting climbed to avoid large rocks, so its more protection than anything.

From what you have seen, has the addition of the poles and cables worked to keep people on the original path? Are there any problems with people cutting the cables?

Snoopy

*Rock*Binder
vThe air-hole is followed by a small climb, that tends to squeeze ya and after that (about 50 yards after the AirHole) is another climb. called Coffin Rock. Its a 4'(ish) climb with a large, long square rock (which looks like a coffin ~ hence "Coffin Rock"). You take it one of two ways. Left side: put your passenger tires on the rock and climbing up the left wall of the ledge.
Here's Led taking the left side
Image90.jpg

Here Steph taking the left side as well.
Image73.jpg

The 2nd line is by driving up the face of the ledge, Here is a picture of Steph doing the left side, but her boyfriend, Paul is standing at the place your passenger tires climb the "right" side of the obstacle.
Image71.jpg

I tried the left side, but when my tires slipped off the rock, I cut hard right and climbed the face. That was slick, no pictures to prove it though.

Lastly there is an exit, its nasty, its tough, we all had to winch. Here's a couple pictures from last weekend, you'll notice the rock on the passenger side that pretty much stops everone from driving out.
Image64.jpg

Image8.jpg

Image9.jpg

There ~ finished! Its a SWEET trail and very intimidating. This was my first time on it....and I had a blast. Believe it or not, the trail is only 1/2 - 3/4 mile long, total. We started at 10 am with 5 rigs, got out of it around 3 or 4pm.

I think next time I'll try and tackle it with less vehicles. Recent rain made the rocks very slick....and some of us had problems slipping off of some of the smoother rocks.

I'll be back there soon though, one of our group didn't make it, so we'll be running him through.

Last edited:

Snoopy

*Rock*Binder
Originally posted by Floppy Hat
From what you have seen, has the addition of the poles and cables worked to keep people on the original path? Are there any problems with people cutting the cables?
Yes, definately.

There are some parts where you HUG the rail REAL tight, but for the most part, I'm going to say that if forces you to take harder lines that could be avoided by travelling off the trail ever-so-slightly.

Personally, I think they are a good idea. We've all seen people *create* by-passes on our local trails, the rails and cables tend to keep the guys who shouldn't be there out...since now there are NO by-passes ~ You either run the trail, or you.....run the trail!:D :D :D