Weekend Trip to... Somewhere?

jebuwh

So I convinced the wife that we should go on a camping exploration trip this weekend. We have a pretty much stock 95 Bronco. I'm not scared to wheel it and take it over difficult terrain.

Here is my question... Where? We want to leave Friday afternoon and come back Sunday night. Also considering renting a fridge from Cruiser Outfitters so we don't have to worry about ice.

We've been in Utah 7 months ( California transplants) and have never been to Moab, Capitol Reef, The Swell or anywhere like that. I've got a benchmark atlas and plenty of fuel.

Where would you go?

Also anyone is welcome to come explore with us!!

Tonkaman

With a short schedule the swell is a good choice. You can make that place as short or long as you want with plenty of variation. Capitol reef is a really fun area too that would be good to explore in that time frame.

Renting a fridge is fun but it will get you addicted! Just be careful not to kill your battery if your going out alone

sixstringsteve

x2 on Moab. That place is magical. I recommend Long Canyon, Schafer Switchbacks to Potash Road and checking out the La Sals. I'm due for another Moab trip.

jebuwh

I like it. Good suggestions. I called some campsites near Moab. Sounds like it's a bit crowded this weekend. Pride festival or something.

Anyone ever camped at Fruita campground at Capitol Reef?

Skyline drive? Head down to Joe's Valley, up to Skyline and work your way north (or south). Not a lot of wheelin', but scenic with the fall colors.

Head to Goblin Valley and then go north through the Swell on the way home.

Capitol Reef is cool. ExpeditionUtah.com has some good write ups.

Pony Express Trail is interesting too, and there are side canyons and stuff to explore.

Camp up AF canyon and help on one of the NPLD service projects on Saturday, then head out Pole Line Pass and visit Cascade Springs.

Head up to Bear Lake and then south to Old Ephraim's Grave

Hobble Creek Canyon area? I've only been up there to rescue stuck vehicles.

Camp in the Lasals near Moab and do Fins and Arches as mentioned above.

Lots of options. :-D

jebuwh

We ended up not having as much time as we hoped, but ended up doing a trip out to 9 mile canyon. Trip report to follow!