Weekend work on the Jeep with 2 RME'rs ~ pics

plaidfro

I woke up on Saturday having planned to work on my Jeep with 2 RME’rs. I looked out the window and was immediately concerned as I new both places would be working out in the driveway.
IMG_4104.jpg

I saw blue skies way out to the south of Utah County where my first half of the day would be spent. Cascadia gave me the info for an RME’r out in Santaquin who he said is the guy to work on axles, named Nate. I don’t know what his RME name is. I forgot to pull the camera out and take pics of the work for this part. Nate is a really good dude, and is just who I needed to get the job done right. Goal was to replace my axles seals in my Dana30. Nate had my front axle stripped down quite quickly, I am glad that I enlisted him to help out as he quickly identified that both my wheel bearings were shot. When he got the differential opened he identified a slightly cracked tooth in one of the teeth in the ring gear. So it looks like a new ring and pinion next time I get in there. Nate was very thorough and very meticulous Got the new seals put in the diff. Put everything back together, including some new wheel bearings and we were done by about 2:00pm. No more leaks, and the wheel bearings made the ride much smoother. It was a good learning experience for me, and a good opportunity to meet a good RME guy like Nate.

Now it was off to work on the swing out tire carrier with krawlereng (Shawn). Made it out to Lehi by 3:00pm. Shawn was in his garage under an 86’ 4runner redoing his brake lines. I took a look under the 4runner and saw that he did an SAS, all the suspension work, and the brakes on it and it looked really clean. So I was sold on letting him hack my bumper down.

This is the bumper before he started on it
IMG_3803.jpg

From where it mounts the bumper sticks out almost 9” which is terrible for any decents. The other issue was where it mounts to on the Jeep needed some reinforcement help
IMG_3802.jpg

Shawn prepped the mount area by pounding it back into shape and grinding it to prep for some initial welds
IMG_4105.jpg

He welded the cracks
IMG_4106.jpg

Fabbed some plates out of his axle jig metal. We gotta get Shawn a plasma cutter, he’d be a dangerous man
IMG_4107.jpg

Beefy reinforcement plate ready to weld on
IMG_4109.jpg

Much better. The welds looked great
IMG_4108.jpg

IMG_4110.jpg

Ready to chop the bumper. First he chopped the post the swing out carrier is on and moved it to the edge of the bumper. We determined that we could cut out about 3.5” – 4” of the bumper.
IMG_4111.jpg

IMG_4112.jpg

IMG_4113.jpg

IMG_4114.jpg

And the carrier now is so much slimmer on the back of the YJ. Thank you krawlereng for your work. We even got some removable mudflap mounts hidden in there.
IMG_4115.jpg

And a special thanks to Superfly for the spare 35” BFG KM
IMG_4116.jpg

Driving home the carrier was solid. It didn’t seem to move forward and back as some carriers do. Now to do some surface sanding, priming and painting.

It was a good long day for me, I met two really good RME guys that were really awesome to work with. If you need any welding or fabbing work give krawlereng a PM, he did great work. I am sure if Nate wants to promote his services he will chime in as well, although Nate seems to keep a pretty full schedule with work, I am just happy he let me take a Saturday morning with him.

Last edited:

Cascadia

Undecided
I think the most amazing part is that you were able to get a hold of Nate for him to do your stuff. He seems to be so busy and never has time to answer my calls. Maybe he just doesn't like me. :(

The bumper looks good though. Now with those mud flaps you'll be putting on you can get that thing registered finally.

plaidfro

I think the most amazing part is that you were able to get a hold of Nate for him to do your stuff. He seems to be so busy and never has time to answer my calls. Maybe he just doesn't like me. :(

The bumper looks good though. Now with those mud flaps you'll be putting on you can get that thing registered finally.

I just finished getting the mudflaps on today... Mudflaps in general don't look pretty on a Jeep, BUT as you said I can finally get it registered and breathe a little easier going down the road.

Nate had some funny stuff to say about your LJ... Good stories :)

After I took up his morning he headed up to somewhere around Ogden to help a buddy move. Nate is a really good guy... but really busy.