Weird Dodge steering problem

oxbronco

I was wondering if someone might know whats going on with my steering. I was driving home today and made a left hand turn and when I started heading straight my steering wheel stayed cocked to the left. I checked my drag link, tie rod ends, tie rod, steering shaft, and rag joint and everything looks good. Then I had my wife turn the wheel back and forth and there was very little play. I cant figure out how my steering wheel ended up cocked to the left.

bryson

RME Resident Ninja
Supporting Member
What year dodge? 2x4 or 4x4? Bad/bent trackbar if it's 94+ 4x4, or cracked frame near the steering box if it's older than 94 would be my guesses.

oxbronco

Sorry about not posting the year, its a '76 w100, 4 wheel drive. Stock reman steering box, skyjacker draglink, dana 60 front with new tie rod ends. I looked at the frame and didnt see any cracked spots unless there is one ditectly behind the steering box.

Rot Box

Diesel and Dust
My friends 97 PSD had a similar problem. Turns out the splines on the box stripped out where the shaft (not pitman arm) attaches :ugh: The local Ford dealership said they have seen a few come in like that throughout the years. He said everything looked/worked fine untill he pulled it apart an physically looked at the problem.

oxbronco

Thanks for the info, Im going to be doing a cross over steering setup, so I will be changing the steering box, and Im going to go ahead and get the borgeson shaft.

LT.

To do the crossover steering set up on a Dodge you do not need to change the box. The stock box works fine. You will need to remove the adapter plate from the steering box. It goes between the box and the frame. Once you have removed the plate from the box you can see where the box will need to be placed. You will need to relocate the box four inches towards the fire wall. There will be hole there already. You will need to source a 2wd pitman arm for your box and that should do it. I would recommend Off Road Design for your cross over steering set up.

LT.

oxbronco

Thanks for the info, I actually talked to ORD today, and got there cross over steering set up. Im glad I dont have to change the box. Thanks again

LT.

Thanks for the info, I actually talked to ORD today, and got there cross over steering set up. Im glad I dont have to change the box. Thanks again

No problem. If you have more questions about this shoot me a PM and I will give you my number. This is one of the only things I actually know a little bit about.

LT.

oxbronco

So a little up date, I got all the steering stuff just havent got around to installing, but I I did figure out why my steering wheel was crooked. About a week ago my brother was driving my truck and I was following him and it looked like my truck was going down the road crooked, I got looking at the rear springs and the center bolt was sheared off and the axle had shifted forward about 2 inches, so the reason my steering wheel was crooked was cause I was actually turning the wheel a little to go straight down the road. New center pin, and u bolts and she drives straight as an arrow