Weird suspension design

spiderman

Amish dude
I am trying to find info on a weird suspension design I saw in Moab last week on a sammi. It used one bushing at the frame end, and connected to the bushing was a Y link down to the axle. This link was made of square tubing, and the guy used spring plates and u bolts to hold it on to each side of the axle. It looked like all of the flexing in the link was done at the bushing at the frame. It used a panhard rod as well, but it really only technically would be a 2 link, unless you count the panhard rod. Any one have any pics, or even know what this type of suspension is called? The guy that owned the samurai said he loves it and he has seen it on some competition vehicles, and I am just trying to get some more info on it. Sorry my description may be a little confusing.

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
spiderman said:
I am trying to find info on a weird suspension design I saw in Moab last week on a sammi. It used one bushing at the frame end, and connected to the bushing was a Y link down to the axle. This link was made of square tubing, and the guy used spring plates and u bolts to hold it on to each side of the axle. It looked like all of the flexing in the link was done at the bushing at the frame. It used a panhard rod as well, but it really only technically would be a 2 link, unless you count the panhard rod. Any one have any pics, or even know what this type of suspension is called? The guy that owned the samurai said he loves it and he has seen it on some competition vehicles, and I am just trying to get some more info on it. Sorry my description may be a little confusing.

Sounds a lot like a radius arm type suspension to me, with the exception that it gathers into one point at the frame end. I'm curious how well the trackbar would hold up on something like that.

spiderman

Amish dude
Yeah, It kind of is like a modified radius arm, now that you mention it. I don't doubt that it holds up well on a low horsepower lightweight rig like his, but I am wondering how it functions on a bigger vehicle.

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
rckcrlr said:
There is a tread on POR under "one link". Rockware has used that style for years. I have thought about it....
I think it is a good design if used with the right parts and used on a lighter rig. It provides good driveshaft protection.

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
bobdog said:
Didn't GM use that design on 2wd pickups in the 60s
I mentioned that in another thread about this type of suspension. An answer came back that they are more like trailing arms and are independently mounted to the frame.

grinch

inner city redneck
I am running this suspention on my jeep now except I use a 1 1/4 jonnyjoint not a rubber bushing and fox air shocks..... I did have a problem ripping my crossmember off my frame where the suspention mounts in moab over EJS this year ... I love how the suspention reacts thoagh It just needs some serious beef in this area. I will also agree this suspention is better suited for lighter rigs.

spiderman

Amish dude
grinch said:
I am running this suspention on my jeep now except I use a 1 1/4 jonnyjoint not a rubber bushing and fox air shocks..... I did have a problem ripping my crossmember off my frame where the suspention mounts in moab over EJS this year ... I love how the suspention reacts thoagh It just needs some serious beef in this area. I will also agree this suspention is better suited for lighter rigs.

That is what I have heard, that you have to seriously overbuild the link at the crossmember. Lots of good replies, thanks guys!

Fuller

Formerly limegrnxj
Maybe I am not picturing this correctly but wouldn’t this be similar to the Claytons long arm kit for Cherokees, or even Rockkrawlers LA kit?

spiderman

Amish dude
limegrnxj said:
Maybe I am not picturing this correctly but wouldn’t this be similar to the Claytons long arm kit for Cherokees, or even Rockkrawlers LA kit?

Not that I can see- the entire suspension depends on one single link at the frame/crossmember end.

P

pokeyYJ

it seems to me that you would run into many of the same problems that you get with radius arms. What allows the axle to rotate as it travels trough its suspension cycle?

Herzog

somewhat damaged
Admin
pokeyYJ said:
it seems to me that you would run into many of the same problems that you get with radius arms. What allows the axle to rotate as it travels trough its suspension cycle?

all the articulation is done at the center pivot. There isn't any kind of deflection to allow it to articulate seperately from the links.

Not a setup I would personally run, but I guess it works to some extent.

spiderman

Amish dude
Herzog said:
all the articulation is done at the center pivot. There isn't any kind of deflection to allow it to articulate seperately from the links.

Not a setup I would personally run, but I guess it works to some extent.

After much more research, it seems to work very well when it is built properly. It can be built with Antisquat in mind, and is a lot less expensive to build, plus it requires less thinking. The main problem people run into is when they use this system on HEAVY applications, as in deuce-and-a-halfs. It works, you just have to built it right because so much force is applied to the pivot point.

grinch

inner city redneck
spiderman said:
After much more research, it seems to work very well when it is built properly. It can be built with Antisquat in mind, and is a lot less expensive to build, plus it requires less thinking. The main problem people run into is when they use this system on HEAVY applications, as in deuce-and-a-halfs. It works, you just have to built it right because so much force is applied to the pivot point.
Yeah Im not heavy at all Maybe half a jeep in weight... and I ripped my rear crossmeber completly off the frame.... I actually really like how the suspention reacts... Enough that im going to rebuild it with some major beefing at the rear crossmember....