Weird vibrations

YotaSwan

Hi all, I am hoping this is in the right place. I have a 1987 toyota pickup 4x4 with the 22re in it. Recently it has begun shaking pretty bad on deceleration from 73 down to 65. Basically it happens when I get off the highway and take my foot off the gas. I am not really sure where to start with trouble shooting. Does anyone know what this might be? If you have heard of this kind of thing before I would appreciate and guidance towards the right direction. Thanks.

Ian

driver920

well one thing i would look at would be u-joints as they start to go bad they can do some weird things chech the yokes at the tranny side and the diff also and when you check them be sure the drive line is unloaded .... meaning no pressure on it in neutral at ride height some times the change of angle jacking things up will hide movment because of the angle change

jeep-N-montero

Formerly black_ZJ
Check the u-joints, when they have slop it may not show up under load because there is pressure on the bearing caps, when you let off the gas that pressure goes away allowing the slop to move around.

YotaSwan

It is ifs. Thanks everyone for the directions to get starred with. I will post up this weekend when I have time to work on it. I really appreciate it.

SLC97SR5

IDIesel
Form above ^^ Check those u-joints and try giving them some grease.

Also check anything that would misalign the rear drive shaft like transmission/ tcase mounts in poor condition or loose ubolts.

Marsh99

Lover of all things Toyota
It is ifs. Thanks everyone for the directions to get starred with. I will post up this weekend when I have time to work on it. I really appreciate it.

Is it lifted? I had a 92 pickup with a drop bracket lift that would go through tie rods and idler arms quickly.

Kevin B.

Not often wrong. Never quite right.
If you're lucky, your output nut underneath the driveshaft flange is loose, but with that much play I'm betting the output bearing or shaft itself is shot.

Pop the driveshaft off, see if that nut under there is still staked and snug. 30mm, I believe.

YotaSwan

Hey all, I will be taking Kevin's recommendation tomorrow morning since it is my day off work. Wish me luck. I will give another update tomorrow when I am done.

One more question. I the output shaft is indeed gone, would I be able to replace this without taking the transfer case out? Also would someone with basic working on cars and truck skills have too much trouble doing this? Thanks for everyone's input.

YotaSwan

So the output shaft nut was loose and that was my problem. I think I am going to try to but a new one an then install it, but for now I tightened the nut an then re-staked it. It completely fixed my problem. Thanks everyone for your help.