welded Rear

johndoe508

pebble hopper
I have six days before I need my rear end locked up. I just broke my locker and dont have any money to replace it. I was wondering if I could weld up the old stock gears I have sitting in my basement? It is a GM 14 bolt rearend. Has anyone ever done that? If so what kind of advice do you have for it? I will be replacing it with a locker as soon as I get enough money but for now I need an alternative for the my trip. Thanks for the help

troutbum

cubi-kill
What kind of locker do you want to end up with? I believe the Detroit is the cheapest for the 14 bolt, only because it uses the stock carrier. If you are thinking about going this route I would weld it just like the K5 site, That way you can use the case again later. And if you are worried about it carry some spare spiders...

Although after you weld it you might not want to drop any cash on a locker ;)

Caleb

Originally posted by ace

This would work for a while, but hasn't held up as long-term fix

what do you mean hasn't held up as a long term fix??? If done properly a welded rear will last as long as anything?!?!?! Escpecially a 14T

Brett

Meat-Hippy
Originally posted by troutbum
What kind of locker do you want to end up with? I believe the Detroit is the cheapest for the 14 bolt, only because it uses the stock carrier. If you are thinking about going this route I would weld it just like the K5 site, That way you can use the case again later. And if you are worried about it carry some spare spiders...

Although after you weld it you might not want to drop any cash on a locker ;)

A Detroit that uses the stock carrier? Since when?:confused:

Caleb

Originally posted by RedRockXJ

A Detroit that uses the stock carrier? Since when?:confused:

ever since there has been one for the 14T...the stock carrier is plenty beefy...I think the detroit is still the weak link in that combo...learn something new every day dont ya:D:D:D

Caleb

Originally posted by ace

I mean that people on the ck5 board who have welded the spider gears in their daily drivers like in the article posted, are eventually having problems with them. A detroit is $327 if you shop around for the Chevy 10.5"

hmmm...thats news to me...good to know(learn something new every day:p)...what specifically are they having problems with??? do you know...

Caleb

well, while a twelve bolt isn't the strongest of axles, its not the weakest either....I say the same as cruiser...nuke it, its only got to last you a little while...

Andy

aka. Hollywood
I welded the rear diff in my Cherokee, it has yet to see any action but I'm not worried about it. Spools are not that expensive but unfortunately they don't make one for the 14 bolt:( .

Caleb

Originally posted by Jeremy
yes they do. I've seen one for 140.:D

spool for the 14T??? they have a mini spool but no full spools yet...given the mini would do just fine but so will welding it...:D:p

Erik d_lux

Heres how I welded my 14 bolt. Its easier then any axle I have ever welded up. I tacked all my points then took it out of the carrier and welded the whole thing up solid.

Attachments

• 14boltweld.jpg
    14boltweld.jpg
    29.9 KB · Views: 60

K85k03

I have a dana 30 in the front of my cherokee and I was wondering if there was any possible way to weld it like on the K5 website, I have already welded up the rearend and its held up pretty good. But I don't have the money for a locker, or a hub converson on the front so I was wondering if there was any way to weld up the fornt to where it would have a little bit of play enough to allow me to turn farely easly. but I am willing to sacrifice;). Thanks

Caleb

Originally posted by K85k03
I have a dana 30 in the front of my cherokee and I was wondering if there was any possible way to weld it like on the K5 website, I have already welded up the rearend and its held up pretty good. But I don't have the money for a locker, or a hub converson on the front so I was wondering if there was any way to weld up the fornt to where it would have a little bit of play enough to allow me to turn farely easly. but I am willing to sacrifice;). Thanks

Short answer, no...yes you can weld it up but since you dont have hubs and your axle doesn;t truely unlock when its out of 4WD you will have major handling quirks and your turning radius will be cut in half...:D

troutbum

cubi-kill
Originally posted by supergper

Short answer, no...yes you can weld it up but since you dont have hubs and your axle doesn;t truely unlock when its out of 4WD you will have major handling quirks and your turning radius will be cut in half...:D

quirks...:D, that is one way of putting it. not to mention that you will put a huge amount of stress on the D30. X260 joints won't hold up very well, they *can* survive in an open diff, but in a spool/welded axle you'll eat them up

I would be surprised if you could even get half of your current turning radius, understeer would be awful...