welded vs lock-rite

zukijames

getting some fj80 axles and running out of money and would rather have an arb up front then detroits front and rear.. i think

they dont make a spool for them.. and lockrite is the cheapest but they are not as strong right? would welding it be stronger.

trailered rig for now, if i move to st george it will be driven a from the hurricane airport to sand hallow

any suggestions?

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
well i better jump on fallowing you.. hows that turbo setup your building me coming arent you making a propane kit too?

:p

I haven't gotten anywhere with the propane/turbo setup, it'll be a Winter project.

If you really want a selectable front locker, consider using a FZJ80 front e-locker. They're semi-rare, but out there.

iamsparticus

Take your Rig to the Edge
i believe wayne on here said people were running the spartan with bigger tires than that with no problems. i have the spartan in the front and ill be running 37's like you james

broncomitch

dont be a sheep in a jeep
I'm welded front and rear, so with that... 2x on what Greg said.

I can turn and you will too but it sucks.
So ether get a locker or ram assist.

skippy

Pretend Fabricator
I have grizzley lockers front and rear and next time I build a set of axles I am gonna weld them up and run it they never unlock when you want them unlocked anyways

mesha

By endurance we conquer
I am full hydro, welded front and rear and 40"mtrs

Never had a problem steering. The ram wont notice. Make sure you get a ram that is the right stroke. My first ram didn't make tight turns. Also, you could set the ram at a different point on the steering arm to change the stroke with a different amount of leverage.

ID Bronco

I have run a lockright in the front with 38-40" tires for six years with zero problems, ram assist and it works great. I do put it in 2 low to turn ultra sharp but with hydro you won't. I think it was a great $125 spent.

rockbronco

I think you should weld it up and try it, because you can always go to a locker after you weld it...see if you like it or if it causes problems.

zukijames

wouldnt i have to buy a new carrier or sidegears or something before i could put a locker in after welding it up? i admit i havent done my homework on welded difs

rockbronco

If you get the right locker, it turns into the carrier, and it wont need any of the spider gears. I actually think that is how all lockers are.

thefirstzukman

Finding Utah
Supporting Member
Remember that when you weld a factory carrier it is a cast piece of steel.... I've had problems with welding samurai diffs and wont do it again, toyotas I'm sure are the same. If it breaks loose at all, "and it probably will" if one of those little chunks get in the ring gear you can break teeth.. The good part is if it breaks a weld it will still be locked up..

iamsparticus

Take your Rig to the Edge
james a welded diff will get the job done but it trashes that carrier and could crack or break with serious use, a lock right or the like, will give a little when turning and in my opinion would be stronger because of the design. As you know i have a lock right out back and a spartan up front and to be totally honest i really didnt notice a difference on steering effort, as long as your not gasing it, the turning was almost like open diff in front. I still unlock the hubs if possible for 2 low if i need to turn really sharp but its not all that bad. Seriously think about it because a new carrier will be around 300 bucks! add that to buying a locker, if the welded diff broke or you didnt like it, and your into it about 560 bucks, for that you could get a detroit or be 300 bucks away from a ARB

zukijames

i just have a hard time seeing a lockright being as strong as welds if done right ( heat up before welding ect) front im going spartan i think worried about it saying its for 35s or smaller . rear i wish they'd make a spool for it but they dont